Now I Get To Start Over! Remodeling our 1976 Alfa Travel Trailer

Started by OldEdBrady, October 01, 2009, 07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldEdBrady

I've started on the outside of the Alfa.  Since the weather is so lousy (all that nasty frozen white stuff), I can't do a wole lot, so I started small.  VERY small.

The windows have covers over the screws that hold them in.  Well, let's say most have covers, and those that are covered have brittle, falling-apart pieces of plastic over them.

So, I went to State Trailer and bought every single piece of replacement they had in white.  And, started cutting and replacing yesterday.  This is not too much trouble in the lousy weather since I can do the cutting inside, and then just be outside long enough to insert each piece.

All windows on the entrance side are now fixed, and I've started on the other side.  Probably will finish that today.

My biggest problem will be the front end.  It appears I may have to remove the awning to put in the top piece--something I'd rather get around if I can.

As I said, it's just a minor project, but something that has to be done sooner or later, and, since I can't do much else in the weather we have, at least there's some kinda progress going on.

OldEdBrady

It's just about impossible to do anything for a while.  The cold has set in.  That ugly, nasty white staff is everywhere.  This a.m. I went out to start the truck, and saw it was 5 degrees.  But I misread it.  It turned out to be a blistering 14.

OldEdBrady

With the Alaskan weather we've been having, I got tired of refilling the propane tanks every three or four days.  So today, I got rid of the 20# tanks and put 30# tanks in.  Got a heckuva deal, too.  The place was going from one brand to another, and had only two of the old brand left.  The new ones were about $120 each.  I got the two older brands (still quite in keeping with the "testing" dates), had them filled, and got a cover for them.  Total cost $200.16.

I DID have to replace the post that held the old ones down.  And I couldn't get less than a 3-footer, so that will have to be cut off somehow--in place.  That cost an additional whopping $3.50.

So, entire thing changed with propane, less than the cost of two "new" tanks.

OldEdBrady

I don't have one of those fancy big cutting wheels to cut the post with.  And, using a hacksaw was not possible, due to tight space.  So, I used a dremel with diamond cutting disks.  I cut the post on the propane tanks with that.

Took quite a while, since I had to stop every so often to let the dremel cool.  But, got her done.

Last night, the son-oin-law (ClassCKing) looked it all over.  He said, "Last time I saw anything that big, it was on the space shuttle"   :laugh:

Naturally, they aren't that large.

Anyway, that's all set.  Now if it were only Spring.  I still need to get to work on the outside of the Alfabago.  (Yeah; Tina had the decals made and shipped, and they'll go on once I get her painted.  So the trailer is "officially" named.)

OldEdBrady

SWMBO has decided she doesn't like the green ceiling in the living area.  I suppose that's because SHE selected the color.

So, I have to repaint.  And it's going to be white.  Period.  With the color she selected, it's gonna take at least two coats to cover it.  So, tomorrow, I start fixing what she said was so necessary.  D:oH!

OldEdBrady

The living area ceiling is white.  It's done.  And, I managed to make some minor repairs on interior moulding.  I'm not finished with that, but I got most of it done.

AND, I managed to get the exterior moulding in on the front window without taking out the awning.  I "cheated" a little, though.  I took a small piece of wood, a hammer, and the moulding, got up on the tongue of the trailer, and put the moulding in, kinda.  Then, in the center, I put the wood against it, smacked it with the hammer, and voila!  It stayed.  Then it was just a matter of working to each end to put the rest in. 

It worked, so who am I to question progress?

OldEdBrady

Even though the weather is kinda lousy, I thought I'd get that rear hatch door fixed today.  Got everything I needed.  Put new wether stripping in, put new screw covers in.  Set up 1/2" plywood and 1/8" waterproof covering.  Glued them together.  Got ready to cut to size.

Then errands.  Pick up the girl from school.  Go to the store.  Things like that.  By the time i was actually ready to start cutting, the rain started.  Cold.  Some snow in it.

BUT, I have no place to put an 8"x4" piece of wood.  So, rain or no rain, I had to cut it so that I could at least put the two pieces in the trailer and work on it again tomorrow (or the next day, or the...).

As I've said in prior posts, my power tools are sadly lacking.  So, yep; cutt 'er with a handsaw.

I DO NOT recommend cutting, nailing, etc., ANYTHING in cold rain.  Took about 20 minutes to get through it.  And I'm not too sure I'll be able to do much with it tomorrow.  The cold and rain will probably allow Mr. Arthur Itis to come visit me over night.   :(

OldEdBrady

Well, the project was a bust.  Doing it with hand tools ain't gonna work.  So, SWMBO insisted I get at least a power saw of some kind.

I went to a supplier (not my usual one) and picked up a set of battery-powered tools.  Circular saw, sander and a drill.  Also had a light in it, which I don't need.  Didn't really need the drill, iether, but it came with.

I can use the ruined stuff for another project I have in mind.  But I'll have to replace what I was working on and start over.

And, I found an 8-foot cutting guide, which would have helped in the first place.

So, today, I'm not sure what I'll do.  It's either continue with the project I had, or use what's left of that project and work on the second one. Probably the first one is more important, because the rear hatch is now open to the elements.  And, at this time of year in Utah, the "elements" can change at any second from cold sunshine to freezing white rain.  Or dense fog.  Or just about anything except decent weather.

Froggy1936

Hmmm. And you comment on persons making up unbeleivable storys. No one can have that much bad luck  Hm?  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

DaveVA78Chieftain

BTW ed,
You initially threw me.
8" x 4" = 8 inches by 4 inches.

8' x 4' is 8 feet by 4 feet

Dave
[move][/move]

OldEdBrady

8 FEET x 4 FEET.  I don't play around with the small stuff.   :)

OldEdBrady

PROGRESS!

Today I set the middle panel of the front awning.  It's not totally done, but I have only one piece to put in, and I can re-hang it.  Then, next, will be the two end panels.

After it is hung, I will post the before/after pnotos.

The "original" awning (meaning a PO changed things for the worse) was pieces of that green fiberglass roofing material.  The outside of it was painted white.  The inside remained green.

I broke and scraped all of that out, completely took the awming metal apart, painted the metal, cut some plywood for the center, covered it with a waterproof vinyl, and started gluing it in and sealing the edges.

I still have to set the top part of the frame in place and glue/seal it and then re-hang it.

Oh, and I used one of the decals I have on the panel, so it'll be in the photo when I post it.  I haven't looked lately, but Sob said the Alfa album is totally gone, and I need to restore it, but I'll just recreate the basic album for now and stick the two photos in there.

OldEdBrady

OK.  I didn't get the photos posted.  And that's becxause I didn't take them.

I spent A_L_L_L_L day fixing the front awming.  Got 'er done.  And I have to say, it looks as if it wre done by a total amateur.  (Wonder why?)  But, that's the way she's gonna stay.

Actually, it is.t TOO bad.  Just the center panel off a few inches.  But it'll work.

AND, I got started again on the rear hatch door.  Cut the plywoood.  Check.  Try it out to make sure it'll fit.  Check.  Cut the waterrproof covering.  Uh.  Problem.  What I have won't work.  Off 4 1/2 " in one direction.  But I have HUNDREDS of square yards of the stuff! (Can you say, "Things are tough all over"?)

No matter.  Won't work.

By then, I'd spent almost the entire day at the projects, so I just gave it a rest for the night.  Maybe tomorrow.

AND, I learned something with these new power tools.  Well, OK.  One of the power tools.  Keep your fingers away from the blade of the power saw. (Learn something every day.)  I didn't lose a finger, but I sure put a gash in one of them. 

Oh, well.  tomorrow is another day.

Oz

And... don't get your loose shirt too close to a wire wheel rust stripper... or, steady a bumper with your leg when you have a 1" drill bit angled toward it....  I could go on and on...
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

OldEdBrady

Thanks for the tips, Sob.  Just need to keep in mind all that minor stuff.   ???

OldEdBrady

I fougth with the rear hatch door almost all day long.  It was already cut, so I only had to cover it and hang it.  Sure!   $@!#@!

The thing simply would not stay in the mount on the trailer.  I fought with it.  Gave up for a while.  Fought with it some more.  Gave up again.  And fought with it a third time.  Got it in.

So, all I needed was to install the hardware.  Wouldn't work.  Simply would NOT latch the thing.

Then the rain started.   $@!#@!  $@!#@!

So, all I could do was cover the entire thing with plastic and hope for the best.  They say lthat horrid frozen white rain is on the way.   $@!#@!  $@!#@!  $@!#@!

So much for today.  At least I got to watch a few more episodes of the Rat Patrol tonight. 

OldEdBrady

OK.  Two photos posted.  The first is the original photo of the Alfa.  It shows, inda, how the awming WAS.  The second is how it is now.  The second one I took this a.m. while still sitting in my truck after taking the kid to school.  (It was too cold for me to be outside for very long.)

They are at:

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album;id=328

4winds

What's all that pretty white stuff around the Alfa? :)rotflmao

Oz

It's dandruff.  Ever wonder where dandruff comes from?  Ogden, Utah.  It's the domestic and export dandruff capital of the world.  Two days ago, the volumetric pressure in the dandruff curing tanks, which look like and are the size of large beer vats, underwent an inexplicable and massive increase which caused the vats to blow.  The dandruff was dispersed into the atmosphere and cascaded down upon the surrounding geography in a 100 mile radius, accumulating to several inches and causing much havoc.

Or... it might be snow.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

OldEdBrady

It's that nasty, imported, dastardly frozen white rain.   :'(

4winds

We had that dasterdly frozen rain event today.  Hate this weather I'm too old for this.  :D $@!#@! :angel:

OldEdBrady

I've totally given up on the rear door.  I'll put the piece of junk back that was already there.

I measured.  Measured again.  Got the supplies.  Measured again.  Removed the old "door" and started cutting.  Measured again.

Finally, got what was needed all put together. Measured again.  Egverything matched.

Took the 'new" door out and tried to put it in.  Didn't fit.  Too big in one spot, too little in another.  Yet, it was a SQUARE opening, and the new door was SQUARE.

I give up.

4winds

sounds as if you have as much fun as I do putting a square peg in a round hole :'( $@!#@! :)rotflmao

Froggy1936

Hey Ed its like working on an old house, Ya make parts out of cardboard first(like they do for counter tops) for a template, thing are not always as they appear or measure.
!  You can add material using tape and cut off useing sissors till you get a shape that fits then use your template to cut final material Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

OldEdBrady

I've pretty much restored the Alfa album.  Some of the photos that were there are no longer in.  And some that weren't ARE in.  But it's the best I could come up with.