318 Rebuild, Installation & Costs

Started by LJ-TJ, May 11, 2010, 02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks for the answers!  I only asked because eventually we'll have to rebuild or replace the motor in our Itasca.  Its a 454, and only has 119,000 on it, but we rack up the miles and they don't last forever.

Jasper has the 454 for 2900.00 built to motorhome specs.  They also do custom, so add another 500 for b/b, and the cost is 3400.  Still cheaper.  They claim that they replace every part, and they are an American shop out of the Carolinas. By the time you pay the freight shipping, its getting closer to what this rebuild cost.  I've heard good things about Jasper, and nothing bad so far, and my old Dodge van had a Jasper engine AND transmission in it, from a P/O, and the rebuilds were still doing fine after close to another 100K miles...that old green Dodge van with a 318 had a LOT of miles on its chassis...lol!

Please continue with the thread of this post and lots of pics!  I'd love to be ready for the day when we have to do it.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

RV Mech Tech

Kev - if Jasper certifies and lists what they do (machining etc.) and lists the parts  they replace then it sounds like this company is a reputable re-builder - one definite sign of this is the warranty they offer - where they may be able to cut costs is in volume rebuilding - they may still have a production line setup and do an excellent job  but if they are selling a lot of motors then that is a good  indicator of the reconditioning process they stand behind - you mentioned that you only have 119,000 on your Chev big block - are you sure that you need to replace it?  - if this is the original mileage  I would check the condition of your engine  first before spending the money  - I would do a compression and cylinder leakage test(s) first- if the engine has good compression  and cylinder  leakage tests and the tests do not show more than 10 -15 % difference between the cylinders, does not consume or burn oil or engine antifreeze then you may want to consider holding off until something happens with it- if you maintain the powertrain then you should be able to get many more miles out of it - at 119.000 you still have a lot of service life in it - another reason for the difference in prices of a rebuild (taking for granted both shops are reputable )  is the type of parts they install - cast OEM pistons or forged, stock timing chain or a more heavy duty or high performance chain set, standard or high performance camshaft, connecting rod and crankshaft bearings,  etc. - find out what Jasper does for the extra 500 for a custom rebuild - usually for a stock application they will add a higher performance camshaft, timing chain, different pistons, engine blue printing and balancing,  and may even throw in some extra work on the cylinder heads such as they did with TJ's  motor - these days when you buy a new part or piece of equipment or whatever you cannot be sure of where the part(s) are coming from - in one of the auto and industrial supply stores here in Canada I am seeing small portable generators with gas engines made in China - after checking with a few small engine shops I am being told by more than one of them that the motors on these gensets are "throw-aways"  and are good for light duty use only - engine rebuilding is one of the last areas where the off shore manufactures can't touch (as far as machining and the labor to recondition the engine goes) but offshore parts may be included in the "cheap rebuilds"  - TJ was able to not only see the engine being put together but was also able to see what kind of parts went into his motor and also the workmanship that   this machine shop put into his engine.      :)ThmbUp

ClydesdaleKevin

Jasper offers a 3 year, 100K mile warranty, so they probably use decent parts.

Our engine runs great...I'm just thinking about the future since we plan on keeping this rig for life..in another 3 years, with the miles we rack up, we'll be at 200K plus.  Eventually it will have to be rebuilt, but until then I change the oil and filter religiously every 3000 miles...and sometimes, like our trip to Arizona, it means I change the oil in North Carolina, drive to Florida, then Arizona, and have to change the oil again...lol!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

LJ-TJ

Well Kev, the one thing I've seen and learned over many years is if you change the oil and filter, watch your air filter and keep the engine tuned on a regular bases like your doing, baring any catastrophic failure (drop a valve,etc.) you can get as much as 300,000 to 400,00 miles on a good old U.S of A engine.

ibdilbert01

"Jasper offers a 3 year, 100K mile warranty, so they probably use decent parts."

Yup, I've put many Jasper engines in and have had extremely good luck with them.   You pay a bit more for them compared to a NAPA rebuild, but they also make minor upgrades to known problem areas of the engine or transmission they are rebuilding.   For example, the older Dodge Caravans had issues with the planetary gears in their transmissions getting hot and causing fatigue and eventually failure.  Jasper transmissions had a modified set of gears in them that spun more oil around them and prevented this issue.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

LJ-TJ

Tomorrows the big day. Lauren and I are going to take her on her first real shake down run about a 150 mile round trip. I guess we'll find out if a mechanical neophyte can actually pull one of these things and put it back in and have it run right. If it works all you other guys can stop worrying because you to will be able to do it.

LJ-TJ

Oh man I hate to do this but I gotta tell the story. Just got back from our first 180 mile shake down run. D:oH! She ran like a dream, just like an old singer sewing machine. Well sort of. All went well for the first 60 miles until she started to hesitate. No big deal we had arrived at destination and were going to have a good time....we did. This morning we go ready to leave and we had trouble starting her...but she started. Got about 15 miles down the road and she quite out in the middle of no mans land. Couldn't figure it out, waited a while and she started fine. Got a few more miles down the road and she back fired and blew the mufflers of. shoot! To make a long story short  after changing out Voltage regulators, Electronic Modules and bailest resistors, all new it turned out to be the BRAND NEW COIL crapped out. So just because everything is brand new doesn't mean there's any guarantees. Oh! and we finally made it home. THE END  N:(

Froggy1936

In My many years of auto repair there have been few ignition coil faiures The funny part is most of them acted the same as yours with a staggered and mysterious death.  Also when you suddenly have a new problem its always a good idea to suspect the new items.  Ha Ha!  In your case, that's a whole boatload.  Congratulations on a job well done!  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

LJ-TJ

So the next step was to remove the nuts that held the exhaust on to the exhaust manifold passenger side and then driver side

LJ-TJ

Ok so now is the time to support the transmission. I used a floor jack with 2x4's

LJ-TJ

Time to get access to the Flex Plate and Torque Converter by removing the dust cover.

Dust cover removed

LJ-TJ

So now I got to figure how to lift the engine as the regular carb lift plate won't work. So I took to pieces of angle iron and welded them together turned  them up side down,set the carb on them marked the four bolt holes and drilled them to the size of the carburetor bolts. Then drill a few holes in order to move the chain for balance. Crude but it worked.
NOW!
Here's one of the lessons learned if I had to do it again I would put all for wheels on railroad ties and NOT TILT the front end. The add height would have made things a lot easier all the way around. Both in terms working under her as well as pulling the engine out. In the following pictures you will see a clevis on the lift plate. WRONG....you don't have that much play room. When they say it's tight there not kidding. You only have enough room to put one chain link in the cherry picker and two links one on each side of the lift plate. Guess what? and that's the picture I didn't get.

LJ-TJ

Ok! Ya getting nervous cause I surely am. This is it. Oh yeh! there's always one. You have to take the oil filter off in order to get one of the bolts out in order to split the engine.

LJ-TJ

Looking down from inside. Removing the top tranny bolts  ???

LJ-TJ

Well lets hook her up before she falls out and hits the floor.

LJ-TJ

Oh shoot I forgot the engine mounts.....Duh...that's what happens when your nervous and it's the first time. Oh well that won't be the only thing you forget.  :laugh:

LJ-TJ

Ok! Yeh got a million things running through your head. Have you disconnected everything. Nup ya forgot the four bolts that hold the flex plate to the Torque converter  which holds the engine to the tranny.

LJ-TJ

Well I think I got everything now here go's nothing. Carefully lift the motor mounts so they just clear. Ready? ??? start wiggleing. At this point the only thing that should be holding the engine in place are two dowel pins on the engine as well as the little nub on the torque converter. Wiggle like crazy.

LJ-TJ

It's OUT  :)clap Holy Cow it's OUT! I did it by myself and I Did it. Holy Cow. :)rotflmao

LJ-TJ

Well guys never done anything like this ever. So why did I subject myself to this trauma. Well not everyone has a "Wonder" Brad close by or a Frank that are honest and charge a fair price. There are a lot of those guys out there that just LOVE to see guys like you and me come in so they can put their kids though Univerity on your pay check. Chances are even if you don't know what your doing you'll do a better job than they will or even can. Yes, as you can see you can do it your self and save about $2,000.00 dollars right off the top. Hope this helped someone out.
IMPORTANT!
Zip Lock Freezer bags. Every and I mean every nut, bot,washer,lock washer,gasket,part. Put it in a bag and lable it.
Pictures. Take a picture of the part to be removed and then take a picture after the part is removed. Lots and lots of pictures.
Yes you can do it.  :)clap