Now I Get To Start Over! Remodeling our 1976 Alfa Travel Trailer

Started by OldEdBrady, October 01, 2009, 07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

OldEdBrady

FINALLY, it's supposed to stay above freezing, so I thought it an excellent time to test the water heater.

Hooked up a hose with a regulator, turned on the water, and waited.  Saw some water dripping.  LOTS of water dripping.  Out the rear.

Opened up the back panel.  Yep; bad water line.

Turned off the water, relieved what little pressure was left, and removed the bad part of the line.

WHOA!!  Two major splits in it.  Both a foot or more.

So, I replaced that.  Turned the wateer on again, and checked.  No leaking.  Good deal.

Saw some water dripping out of the right side, but I kno the black water tank needs work, so I thought that was it.  Until I went inside.

The toilet line had completely blown off!  Water everywhere.

Back to running like a madman to turn it off.

I know what the problem is, but I don't know how I'm going to fix it.  Some ideas, but it all depends on whether anyone carries some of the crazy stuff I've thought of.

Still hadn't tested the water heater.

So, I used the shut-off valve and bypassed the toilet.  Let the rest of the trailer get some pressure.  Opened the taps in the kitchen area to allow the line and tank to fill.

Then the acid test:  I hit the two switches necessary to get it going.

Lit right up!  Running like a gazelle!

So, now the only major inside problem is the toilet.  I'll figure something out eventually for that.

OldEdBrady

Well, I;ve figured out what to do about the toilet.  Replace it.  Too bad, too, since it is brand new.  Never been used.  But, the PO had no idea what he was doing, and put it in in a way that it is totally unusable.  (See how I cleaned that last  word up?   :laugh:)

Anyway, I'm going to have to check out a multitude of sites/stores to find something I can actually use. AND afford.

So, that's one of the near future projects.

OldEdBrady

I've been backing off on this.   don't know how much space is available, but it's not for me to use it all.
Anyway, I started on the bedroom ceiling (which is in terrible shape).  I asked SWMBO what I should do with it.  She wants it painted red.  (Her words.)

However, her version of red and the world's version of red ain't quite the same.  She's color blind (she'd kill me if she knew I'd told anyone that.)

So, it ain't turning out exactly red.  It's a red color, but a Really dark one.

OldEdBrady

This evening, I came into the house and said to SWMBO, " The good news is, I THINK I've fixed the toilet in the trailer."

She said she didn't want to know the bad news.  So, I started walking away, and she said, "OK; what's the bad news?"

I replied, "NO ONE  wants to EVER know what I actually did."

W%

Oz

You can tell us... we're the bunch that does anything and everything to do what ya gotta go to fix things, remember?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

OldEdBrady

OK.  Since the Big Bossman asked...

The water inlet is composed of two pieces.  Some kinda plastic that I never could figure out. 

Anyway, the PO did it wrong.  One piece where the water connects is supposed to be put into the toilet, and then a second piece screws one to hold it in place.  The PO put the screw-on in with some kinda permanent glue--without the slide-in in place.  Whatever glue he used, it wouldn't allow the  thing to be removed.

Naturally, you couldn't get water to the thing becuase the slide-in wouldn't hold.

I have NO idea what kind of plastic those two things are, but they aren't the same kind.  If I got glue for ABS, then one part is PVC.  Or maybe vice versa.  Or maybe they are something entirely different.  I know I tried three different types of glue, including one that was designed to hold two different types of plastic together.  NOTHING worked.

Over at my supplier's one day, I saw some stuff that said it would glue together anything.  So, what the heck?  I got some.

Thursday, I followed the directions carefully.  Put glue on both parts.  Wait 5-10 minutes and put them together.  Make sure you've done it correctly the first time, 'cause they won't come apart again.  Wait 24 hours for full cure.

Yesterday, I went out, hooked up the water line, and turned the valve on v-e-r-y slowly.  No leaks!

What'd I use?  Goop for plumbing.  I've heard of Goop, of course.  May have even used some sometime.  But I never knew they had some specifically for plumbing.

Bottom line:  The toilet is put together incorrectly, but it's holding (so far, anyway).  I even opened the valve to full force, and it held.

Now you know.

LJ-TJ

i??   My Dad, many,many years ago had his own business fixing RV's. Usually it was beat up old rigs that the folks who owned them couldn't afford pricey repairs. Dad was of the old school like many here and would make up the wildest gizmos to get the job done. On the back of his business card was written and maybe this should be the Mantra of Classic Winnebago's and RV's :       We the Willing  :)clap
                                                                  Lead by the Unknowing
                                                                  Are doing the Impossible.
                                                                  We have done so much
                                                                  With so Little, For so Long
                                                                  We are now Qualified
                                                                  To do Anything with Nothing

Froggy1936

"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

OldEdBrady

It certainly fits how I do things.

Usually, I decide what I want something to be like, then do it.  When I'm finished (usually), it looks nothing like I wanted, and sometimes even looks better than I wanted.

OldEdBrady

Today I moved the Alfa for the first time.  A humongous,, total 10 feet!

That was to get the Calypso out of the corner where she was.  I did it too late today to make delivery, and Mondays are ALWAYS out.  But, if things go well, I should be able to make delivery on Wednesday.  We'll see...  If I do, photos will be provided in the Calypso album.

Oh, and it appears I need about the largest ball hitch made.  I have a 2 1/2 incher, and it seemed to be a bit too small.

OldEdBrady

Delivery of the Calypso is tentatively set for tomorrow (4/27/10) afternoon.  If nothing goes wrong.

Why did I say that?  I may have just jinxed it!
:(

OldEdBrady

I was right.  The Calypso went nowhere today.  High winds.  Sand blowing in from the desert.  It would be dangerous to try to put her up, and that's one of the things the next owner wants, of course, "How do I do it?"

And, all my hard work re-covering the Alfa has been almost for nothing.  I had to re-cinch some of the taps (it takes two to cover it).  Whether they'll hold through the night is anyone's guess.

:(

OldEdBrady

The "re-tarp" held better than the original, but wasn't completely safe in the winds.  We had them up to 50 miles an hour.  So, I can't complain too much.

The Calypso is still in the yard, though.  Souldn't take it out in the winds.  Now rain, snow, etc., for the next few days.  Maybe Saturday?

OldEdBrady

SWMBO bought me this really neat video camera that also takes photos.  So, today, I went out to get some shots of the "finished" product (at least, as finished as the interior is going to get).  But had the stupid thing on video.

Now I only have to figure out how to post this thing somewhere.
Hm?

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

OldEdBrady

In a week or so, I FINALLY get to fix that window that wouldn't work. 

Yesterday, I went to a local RV store and bought a couple of items.  At the checkout, I saw a catalog belonging to the place.  I asked the cost, and the guy said, "$2.99, but just take it."

Going through it, I FOUND THE PART I NEED!!

In fact, it comes with TWO pieces of that stupid aluminum.   And the price?  A whopping $2.91--FOR BOTH!  Of course, it's special order, so I ordered the thing.  Now all windows in the Alfa will work again.  Amazing!

OldEdBrady

Over the weekend I sealed most (if not all) of the leaks in the roof.  I hope I got them all, but I won't be foolish enough to say I did.

The stuff I used isn't what I would prefer (it's black), but if it seals the holes, then I won't complain.  It'll be covered up when I finally get to cover the entire roof.

Got only ONE of the window things I was supposed to get.  I was going to fix the thing, but I can't find the one I had, so I have to wait until they send the second one.  Few more days, I was told.  Once I get it, the one I was looking for will probably jump up and bite me.

But, things slowly coming along.

OldEdBrady

Rain, rain, and more rain.  Gonna continue even tomorrow.  So far, no leaks, but, then I didn't look too hard.  I opened the door this evening and found a puddle.  Fortunately, it was almost all on the mat I placed inside the door.  It has a rubber backing, so water puddled there.

Checking things out, I found THAT leak was coming in over the door.

So, I put in some flashing above the door and siliconed it.  Hope that works.  Guess I'll frind out tomorrow... :(

OldEdBrady

Today I FINALLY got to fix that one window that was driving me nuts.  Only took two hours.

I tried fixing it from the inside, since it was a bit chilly this a.m., but that didn't work at all.  So I checked the other windows.  It had to be fixed from the outside.

Then the window wouldn't open.  One corner stuck.  When I finally pried that corner out a bit, I found out why:  A screw had been driven into it from the inside behind the wall paneling.  No way to get to it without ripping out the wall.

Not to worry!  Used an unattached hacksaw blade and cut the sucker off.  Then pulled the tip out of the window.

After that, nothing too it.

So, now, ALL louvered windows work properly.

OldEdBrady

We  had a brief gully washer yesterday evening, and I decided to look for any leaks I missed.  Didn't even get beyond the doorway.

The window in the door was never sealed, and rain poured off the roof, into the window frame and on into the trailer.  So I did a temporary fix on that.  I was kinda afraid to look anywhere else at that time, but I'll have to break down and look this evening.  After I do a "final" job on the doorway, of course.

OldEdBrady

I completely removed the window from the door.  Then I ran a line of silicone along the edge of the frame, inside and out, and put it all back together.  Hope that does it on that major leak.

I looked through the Alfa, but couldn't see where it had leaked anywhere else.  It's the pinholes I'm not aware of that worry me now.

OldEdBrady

I fully intend to recover the entire roof.  I need only two things:  The money for the supplies, and a weekend without rain/snow/dust storms.If both should ever actually occur at the same time, it would probably be the end of time!
i??

OldEdBrady

In keeping with my last post...

Today would have been and excellent day to start on the roof project...except...

We've had rain, hail, winds, etc.  In other words, Spring "has arrived" in the armpit of the Universe.

But, I DID hear that summer is supposed to be July 28, with atumn not until July 30.
$@!#@!

OldEdBrady

@*%&$^@(@)!&b and other  $@!#@! stuff!  Weather simply will not cooperate.  This weekend is supposed to start off lousy and get a tiny bit better each day.  Meantime, I'll have to deal with water standing on the roof, so NO repairs.

At least it isn't snowing now (for the moment anyway).

We've had snow here in July.  Hope this isn't one of those years.