Now I Get To Start Over! Remodeling our 1976 Alfa Travel Trailer

Started by OldEdBrady, October 01, 2009, 07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

OldEdBrady

Today I actually broke down and started on the outside of the trailer.  There are three colors:  white, yellow, and orange.  Some of the orange is now gone.  Tomorrow I hope to finish with that.  I have NO idea what will replace the yellow.  That's up to SWMBO, and I'll just stand there and shudder at the clashes in colors.  The white will stay, but will be cleaned and repainted. 

When it's all done, I'll post a photo of the finished job.

OldEdBrady

Well, I had the first color 5/6 done.  SWMBO then declared that it wasn't the right color.  Say what?!?   ???  She told me her color scheme over a year ago.  I PLANNED on that.

Now it's changed.

So, I have started repainting what is already panted.  Now it might even be done by the end of July.

Oz

Commandment #11:  "A woman has a right to change her mind."
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

OldEdBrady

No painting today nor tomorrow.  The local rivers are running extra high, flooding is a distinct possibility, and rain is pouring down, and will through at least tomorrow.
$@!#@!

At least in our specific location, flooding shouldn't be a problem.

OldEdBrady

Today, I finished painting to get back to where I was when I thought I was almost finished painting.  So, I'm back to 5/6 done on the one color.  But...

Yesterday I noticed that the vent cover in the living area was cracked.  So, when the painting was finished for the day, I got up there and looked.

YIKES!!  MAJOR crack.  I'm surprised the whole front wasn't covered in water, since it's been raining for 3 days.

But, not major purchases.  I put in two Hong Vortex vent fans some time back.  They both come with the entire vent, and on one of them I only needed the fan.  So I had the vent cover as a "spare."

So. hours getting all the screws out.  Then lifted the vent.  The sealing putty looked like it was fairly new, so, apparently, the PO.did some work there, but didn't really fix it.

Put in the new vent (and all amentites that come with that Hong kit) and resealed around it with Dyco 890.  Next major rain storm will be the test, but I feel confident that it is well sealed.

OldEdBrady

As of yesterday, the part of the trailer that was supposed to be blue, then, somehow, changed to green, is finished.  I told SMBO she will go with me to Home Depot and pick out the other color.  That way, I won't have to do that part twice (I hope).

:angel:

OldEdBrady

Not much has been done the last few days.  Rain, tain, and a bit more rain.  Then, this a.m. (Memorial Day), SNOW on the lawn.  We really need to get out of You Taw and back to the United States!
:(

OldEdBrady

I've started part 2 of the outside painting.  I decided that the major portion/color should be done.  Just generic white, but lots of it.

I started with the rear of the trailer.  It looked as if it had the measles, so I sanded, primed, all that good stuff, and covered the top portion where the largest area of white is.

Considering it was done by some old fart who has no idea what he's doing 3/4 of the time, it doesn't look too bad.

I'll get the top on each side first, then go around again with the bottom portion.  Might take a week or so, but it's getting done.

OldEdBrady

Today, I will finish part 2 of the 4-part painting of the trailer.  I'll get a photo or two when it's all finished.

I have to work a little faster on it now, since SWMBO says we are headed east on June 15.  First, she said no trailer.  Now she says we're taking it.

i??

OldEdBrady

Today, I finished most of the painting on 3 sides.  Only one color to go.  The fourth side?  Well, I haven't really even started with that one.

But, I also installed covers for all 4 vents.  Two I had to get covers that would accommodate fans.  Had to go with MaxAire II.  The other two are just plain vents, so I used Camcos on those.

Maybe (just maybe) SWMBO won't complain now when lit's raining, since we can leave the vents open.  So, now I wait to find out what the next complaint is so I "can" fix that.   W%

OldEdBrady

Two colors to go on the driver's side.  On color on the front.  I'll be done!

Tomorrow the gals have a dance performance in Salt Lake City, so it's a good thing that one of the colors can be fixed in about 2 hours.

The front, though, will be a bear.  I have to remove the batteries (two HEAVY suckers!) and the propane tanks to get it done right.  (OK; as right as I can do it.)

Then the REALLY hard part: cleaning up the mess I've made both inside and out while doing this.

But, if I can have it done by Sunday, then cleaning will be OK, since I'll have two days to take care of that part.  Then off east again!  (And, no; I WON'T be taking I-70 through Colorado!  It's bad enough on that last "hill" out of Laramie, Wyo.)

OldEdBrady

I just learned That my information was not correct.  The gals will be performing here in town tomorrow night.  First time here for them.  Usually it's in Sal;t Lake City somewhere.   :-[

OldEdBrady

Try again.  i DETEST this stupid broadband thing!  It was sold to me as a "nationwide" type.  HAH!!  Anyway,...

Painting is done finally.

OldEdBrady

I think I'm finished with the Alfa refurbishing/updating.  At least, until something else breaks down.

13W of solar panels?  Check.  New furnace?  Check.  Water heater conversion? Check.  New carpet, new toilet?  Check.  Bedroom completely redone, outside repainted (some new colors),new tires, rear hatch repaired? All, check. 

I DO have to make some repairs to the front awning, but that's a "doo it sometime" task.

So, I guess I can now let this thread die a natural death.  For those of you bored enough to stay with me through the whole thing, YOU NEED TO GET OUT MORE!!   :)

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

JimVol

Hi Ed,

I was wondering if you could share your repaint procedure?  My 95 Layton needs repainted, but I want to do a good job.

Thanks!
It's kind of fun to do the impossible -  Walt Disney

LJ-TJ

OldEdBrady

To do the paint job, I lightly hand-sanded the entire rig.  Where holes needed pluging, I used one of the fiberglass kits.  Mixewd it and smeared it in.  Gave it 24-48 hours to set properly, and then sanded those areasl

I used tape (The Scotch blue stuff) to protect between color areas.  And, the paper that comes in rolls to keep drips from moving between areas.

For the actual painting, I used Rustoleum paints.  I applied it with a 3 or 4 inch roller and a paint brush for the really tight areas.

Naturally, there were small areas here and there that weren't covered properly, so, after allowing 24 hours for a section to dry, I would go back with a small paint brush and cover that.

The green I used was Hunter Green.  The yellow was (I think) called Sunshine Yellow (or something similar).  And the white was Brilliant White.  In all cases, I used gloss, rather than satin, or whatever they call it.

that's all there was to it.  Just took a long time is all.