Now I Get To Start Over! Remodeling our 1976 Alfa Travel Trailer

Started by OldEdBrady, October 01, 2009, 07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldEdBrady

Today's "tasks" wer to (1) replace the faucet controls for the tub/shower, and (2) replace the 30 amp plug.

The faucet part was a nightmare.  there was absolutely NO room.  I could feel the connections by going through the electrical door on the outside.  But I couldn't see anything, and I certainly had no room there.

Behind the faucet is a small closet.  So, I cut a hole in the closet wall.  Even that wasn't easy.  As I said, a SMALL closet.  But, first I drilled 4 holes approximately where I thought the faucet connections would be, and then I used one of the small hand saws made for wallboard to cut through the panel.  It worked, and I was almost right on.  Then getting the old connections off.  What a nightmare!  The fixture must have been original, and I had about 2 inches of space to work with. 

But, persistence (plus a lot of language you won't hear in church), I finally got it out.  Put the new one in, siliconed it at the tub wall, and hooked her up.

Then the acid test.  Add water.  I did.  Checked.  Re-checked.  It held!  Miracle!

So, on to, the electrical.  I searched high and low for one of those 30 amp plugs, that you just fasten the wires in, but no luck locally.  so, a temp fix until I can find what I need.  theold plug had been glued to a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter, and I tore both of them up trying to get them apart.  So, now I have what I need, and I got a new adapter.  But NOT glued in.

OldEdBrady

For an over-30 trailer in need of more work, the Alfa has been amazingly stable on our trip.   She's extremely heavy.  That was readily apparent going through the mountains of Montana.  Gas alone to pull her was somewhere around $400.  But, then, we also crossed the Continental Divide three or four times.

Before leaving, I also added a stabilizing bar to the thing, and that helped amazingly.  There were times when it was obvious to me that the wind and traffic conditions would have had the thing swaying as if it were listening to one of those old swing bands.

Lots of work remaining, but she's doing well.

OldEdBrady

Back on the road tomorrow.  Checked the trailer tires this a.m.  Driver's side ones a bit low.  Passenger side ones right on.  Pulled out that handy dandy 12V pump and brought the two up.

Hotter than Hades in the trailer.  And it will stay that way until I can connect her to some electricity.  She's been sitting in the local Wally World parking lot since we got here.  Temps have been between 95 and 100 ever since we arrived, and the humidity has been somewhere in the area of 90-98 per cent.

In fact, a couple of days ago, we had what they're calling a "100-year rain."  Heavy flooding in some parts of the state, and I noticed yesterday that the Mississippi is a touch above flood stage.

OldEdBrady

It's obvious to me that I have to figure out something to lighten up the Alfa.  I don't really want to gut her and then rebuild, but I have to do something.  She must weigh a couple of tons.  Gas mileage alone shows that.  It could be worse, but it certainly could be better.

OldEdBrady

Yesterday, in Rock Springs, wyo., SWMBO wanted to go to a store.  So, I set up the Alfa and off we went down the freeway.  Somewhere along the way, I inadvertently named the thing.  My comment was, "Boy!  This truck sure handles differently without Ten-Ton Tilly attached!"

SWMBO declared the thing was named.

OldEdBrady

Recovering financially from our little jaunt means that, for quite some time, the only improvements on the trailer will be minor stuff.  SWMBO has spoken!   ???

OldEdBrady

Starting to think about the outside of the trailer.  Need LOTS of paint.  But want to find the right kind/colors.  SWMBO has already decreed the colors, so that's pretty much taken care of.  I just need to decide what they will look like when they're put on.

I'll get it figured out.  I just hope it's before that horrible frozen rain starts to fall again,

OldEdBrady

The colors themselves are fixed.  SWMBO has spoken!  I only get to decide HOW they will look (with close supervision throughout the process, I'm sure).

OldEdBrady

SWMBO says I spend entirely too much time at my supplier's (Home Depot) place.  I disagreed with her, naturally.

Today I had to go pick up some minor items for the trailer.  The people there are very polite, and offer to help you locate anything you wnat.

Anyway, one of the women greeted me, and I responded, thinking nothing of it.  She turned to another woman and said, "He lives here."

I've never seen either of them before!   ???

OldEdBrady

I've decided to convert the water heater to 110V rather than propane.  The kit is on order.  Sure hope I figure out what I'm doing!

OldEdBrady

Got a minor windfall over the weekend.  So now I guess I may (and it's just a "maybe") have enough funds to start on the roof.  If I ever figure out what I'm supposed to be doing. 

Yes; I've read the posts and looked at the photos of what others have done.  I still don't really know what I'm doing.  As usual.

OldEdBrady

i DID manage to do a minor repair/addition today.  The vents are all non-powered, and, I think, original.  I base this on the fact that if you look too hard at the garnishes, they crumble.

Anyway, in the living area, I decide to install a powered vent.  But not the entire thing.  I bought one of the Hong's Vortex upgrades, took out the old screen and bottom part of the garnish, installed and wired it (without blowing fuses, getting shocked, etc) and put in a new garnish on the bottom.  Looks like a brand new vent!  And it only took about 4 hours (for me--most people could probably do it in 10 minutes).

Now, the trailer won't be filling with smoke when I cook, or have a smoke.  (Yeah.  I have do nasty stuff.  As I told the doctor  when SWMBO FORCED me to have a checkup, I've been smoking for over 60 years, and it's starting to be a habit..)

OldEdBrady

I converted the water heater today.  And it worked!  (I must have done something wrong.)

It was amazingly simple.  All instructions were included for hooking it up.  It only took me about 3 hours, which means most people could do it in about 50 minutes to an hour.

Of course, using electric, it takes a bit longer for the water to get hot, but that's a minor thing.

This thing was made by Camco.  It is supposed to allow you to switch between propane and electric, but, since the propane no longer works, I have electric only. 

As long as it works, who cares?

OldEdBrady

I forgot to add this. Most propane heaters have a set temperature.  This allows  me to vary it so that I don't barbeque SWMBO, the kid, nor me.

OldEdBrady

Fixed a small leak in the bathroom.  Didn't do much of anything else.  I think retirement is starting to grow on me--and I haven't even retired yet.

JDxeper

Like the Idea for the electric water heater, found a Camco also for a 6 gallon.  now we need to start a new thread on the subject, darn.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Froggy1936

Well Ed, I found that the correct definition of Re Tired is  I was tired Yesterday and im tired again today  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

OldEdBrady

JDexper, I started a thread in the repair area on this thing.  There was one link posted but it was to a specific supplier.  I'm sure others either have it, or can get it.

I really like this thing, too.  It saved me about $500!

OldEdBrady

Yesterday evening I was puttering around in the trailer.  When I finished, I was going to wash my hands.  No water. 

Checked under the trailer.   No leaks.

Checked the hose.  No leaks.

At first, I thought it might be the filter was clogged.  So, I shut off the water at the house, pulled the filter, and connected the hose directly.  No water.

Then I removed the hose from the trailer again, and just turned the water on.  Nada.

Come to find out, the pressure regulator wasn't allowing any water to pass through.

This is worrisome, since I paid an astronomical $10 for it about 6 years ago when I had the Winnie.  Now I have to replace it. 

NOTHING is made to last any more.  Why, the thing has cost me about $1.67 a year to own!!
i??

OldEdBrady

Today I finally broke down and got something I've wanted for a long, long time:  A generator.  It's a 35KW thing.

So, set it put, fired it up, worked perfectly.  Then started looking on where I can put it.

Know what?  There is NO PLACE that it will fit in the trailer!  Now what?

???

OldEdBrady

Propane for heating and cooking.

But the bumper thing is an idea I will mull over.

Oh.  And I STILL can't post on the Gear Box, so I can't answer any questions there.

OldEdBrady

And, yes; I lost the decimal.  It is 3.5KW.  Not 35.  The neighbors (and the rest of the town) are on their own if there's a power outage.

OldEdBrady

Today I plan to start working on that roof.  Don't know how far I'll get, nor even if I'll get started.

SWMBO insists I have new tires put on the truck.  And, while I'm at it, have safety and emissions checks done.  Then there's the task with cleaning out my room.  My personal space where I save all of those dead computers and parts.  I might need that stuff some day!

But, at least I have the INTENTION of starting on the roof today.   W%

Oz

Quote from: OldEdBrady on September 11, 2010, 11:10 AM
Today I plan to start working on that roof.  Don't know how far I'll get, nor even if I'll get started.......

But, at least I have the INTENTION of starting on the roof today.   W%

That's what I'm talking about!  A true Procrastinator's Positive Plan of Action (Also abbreviated: PPPA in the Housewive's Handbook of Understanding the Male Species)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

OldEdBrady

Actually, I DID start on the roof today.  Scraped, sanded, cleaned, scraped and sanded some more and then  cleaned it.  Then put down some Eternabond.  After all that I had one tiny corner finished.  Took me hours to do.

At this rate, the roof will be totally repaired some time in 2130.