Schmitti's '76 Winnebago

Started by Schmitti, July 18, 2014, 08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schmitti

Hi my name iss Thomas from Germany, and my englich iss Bad - Sorry
My new Projekt iss a Winnebago from 1976.
You can see it on my HP:
http://rallye-team-schmitt.de.tl/Winnebago-Chieftain-2014.htm

I hope you can read it and, if appropriate, give me a hand, if I do not know what to do with the renovation. But I must leave the text unfortunately translated by Google  :-[

Thomas

Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

LJ-TJ

:)rotflmao Aw your English is just fine and welcome aboard. That's a pretty nice looking rig you got there. :)ThmbUp

Schmitti

Thanks for the praise - but that's not my English, what I learned 30 years ago times  :laugh:  ... I must just be translated via Google  W% .
Yes, I am also been very surprised when I discovered the little ones here in Germany (Ebay). The substance is perfect. OK, the interior of the walls is too dark and the carpet is finished ... so I deal later. Currently my main focus is true of technology. The vehicle was the last 20 years on a site and was covered. Various engine problems I've already solved but have also add some before me. The carburetor should not be entirely on the present state of the art. Maybe coming here so another tip, what could be improved there. More engine power and less fuel consumption should be desirable for Germany (1 liter petrol = 150 to 1.60 â,¬) The issue of exhaust still needs to be addressed, because I see a lot of potential here. Aerodynamically this is not exactly designed. But that is still a bit "pie in the sky", because only the technology and the Electrical should again be revamped to get here in Germany again for road use.

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

LJ-TJ

Well if your get 5 to 8 miles to the gallons I'm guessing 8 to 12 k to 3.7 Lt your doing good.

Schmitti

1 American mile is 1.61 KM / 1 make U.S. gallon is 3.79 liters

But your text will be translated very modest, sodas I do not really understand it  D:oH!

Thomas

tiinytina

Welcome . My Chevrolet 454 7.4L engine has gas mileage of about 6.4-7.4 Miles per gallon.  So that is about 11.14KM per 3.79L or 3.14Km per Liter.  That is also driving about 90-100km/hr speed.  I hope the information here translates well, if you need any translation my nephew speaks fluent German and I can ask him to translate for us to better answer your questions. You can PM (Personal message) me on this website.

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

JessEm

Hallo! Ich bin auch neu hier und ich habe eine 1976 Chieftain, wie gut! Mir ist ein D23, so dass die Innenraumgestaltung ist von Ihnen ein wenig anders, sonst würde ich denken, dass sie im Grunde das gleiche Fahrzeug! Viel Glück mit Ihrem Projekt! Ich bin sicher, Sie werden viel Hilfe hier, ich weiß, ich habe! Und ich habe Google für diese als gut!  :D

PwrWgnWalt

Wilkommen, Thomas!

Your Winnebago looks very nice! 

You may already know, but these take a special thermostat on top of the water pump.  It is called a 'skirted' thermostat, and you can find many references for it on this site.

Enjoy working on her,
Walt
Walt & Tina

Schmitti

@Tiinytina:
Hi Tina, your offer for the special translations I find class and thank you very much in advance for that. For surely it is determined what are incurred in the future in this direction. In the consumption itself, I'm making less thoughts. I know that this is higher compared to European cars ... but a V8 is and remains a V8. The problem is rather the associated costs. 1l (0.264 gallon) here cost between 1.50 to 1.60 â,¬ uro ... these are currently about 2,025 U.S. $;-) What does the gasoline currently with you? ;-) Because of this, I simply raises the question of whether there is not today "modified" and more efficient carburetor. Then the Winnebago is still converted to LPG - as fuel costs fall by a further 50%

@JesAm:
Du läßt auch per Google übersetzen  :) Liest sich gut und ist verständlich  :)clap Ich bin noch ein kompletter Neuling in Sachen Winnebago ... aber soweit ich es blicke, dürften unsere Fahrzeuge sich nur durch die Innenausstattung / Raumaufteilung unterscheiden  ;)

Translation for all others:
@ JesAm:
You can also translate by Google Reads well and is understandable I am still a complete novice when it comes Winnebago ... but as far as I look it, our vehicles are likely to differ only by the interior design / layout

@PwrWgnWalt:
Hello Walt. No, I did not know, because the cooling circuit completely open (ie disconnected and removed) was. I'm Sure, it already was a topic here - but this is to find out and read for me quite difficult because I have to let me translate everything via Google. So I'm glad if someone helps me and I might pretends direct links.

@ all:
Thank you for your very warm welcome and support  :)ThmbUp  I think it's super nice and great and am looking forward here in the future the next steps and conversions show off. Never surprised you, however, how is my English - is a PC. I must also abide by the German TÃœV approval for the road ... trust me, who wants viewed from your perspective, just funny things  :laugh:

JessEm

Quote from: Schmitti on July 18, 2014, 05:28 PM
@JesAm:
Du läßt auch per Google übersetzen  :) Liest sich gut und ist verständlich  :)clap Ich bin noch ein kompletter Neuling in Sachen Winnebago ... aber soweit ich es blicke, dürften unsere Fahrzeuge sich nur durch die Innenausstattung / Raumaufteilung unterscheiden  ;)
Ich glaube, Sie sind richtig. :)ThmbUp Ich habe mir kaufte vor etwa zwei Wochen. Es hat viele Schichten von Silikon an den Nähten und especailly auf den Fenster Nähten... Ansonsten scheint es zu laufen toll. Wir nahmen es auf einem 70 Meile Rundfahrt am vergangenen Wochenende.

Schmitti

Glückwunsch  :)ThmbUp Ich beneide Dich schon ein klein wenig  W% An Rundfahrten oder so, ist bei meinem noch lange nicht zu denken  :'(
Noch habe ich keinen funktionierenden Blinker, da das Teil in der Lenksäule defekt ist. Neue Reifen müssen drauf und die Motorkühlung, sowie die Benzinversorgung des Motors liegt noch total im Argen  :'( Da ich zeitlich mit meiner eigenen Firma auch etwas eingebunden bin, hab ich leider auch nicht täglich Zeit, mich um das Auto zu kümmern.

Thomas

Translation for all others:
Congratulations :) ThmbUp I envy you already a tiny bit W% on cruises or so, is still far to think of my: '(
I still have no working turn signals, because the part is defective in the steering column. New tires have on it and the engine cooling system, and the fuel supply to the engine is still totally in a bad way: '(Since I am involved in time with my own company also something I've unfortunately not daily time to take care of the car.

Thomas

Oz

Please use English in the posts as the vast majority of our members do not speak German but everyone would like to be able talk with you too!

:)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

pvoth1111

Honestly we barely speak english :laugh:
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Oz

Lefty

I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

M & J

Yeah, Wbago speaks English. We speak American mostly.
M & J

Schmitti

Hi guys,
of course I will continue to post here in English. For me however, it was a matter of courtesy, that if someone speaks to me in German, which I will reply accordingly  :-[

@Lefty:
Thank you for your links which help me a lot. I have thus found that I have already bought the wrong thermostat  :'( :laugh:

Thomas

Oz

Quote from: Schmitti on July 19, 2014, 03:15 AM
Hi guys,
of course I will continue to post here in English. For me however, it was a matter of courtesy, that if someone speaks to me in German, which I will reply accordingly  :-[

Thomas

Of course there's no problem with replying in German as a courtesy.  As a courtesy to everyone else, please provide the English translation as well. 

A note on this Projects board.  This was added so that projects you do can be shared in detail, so others can benefit from it.  That's the key purpose.  It's particularly good when there's a LOT of projects going on at the same time, or several of them one after the other.

It's really not for a list of "I did this, I did that" with no detail of how it was done.  It's also not for asking questions on how to do things. Those go on the boards that relate to the nature of the question being asked.

"To do" lists of things being done without detailed descriptions get moved to the general board in order to keep this one as informative on "How I did it" projects.

I've tried to keep the number of message boards to a minimum to make it as easy as possible for information to be found and posted.  Each has a detailed description of what goes on it in order to help you know which one to use.

:)ThmbUp

Schmitti

I've even made ​​the effort and dismantled the second underground tank. Thus, the fuel bill is reduced by future ca.144 liter and generates space for a sufficient large-sized gas tank.
The complete wiring / fuel lines for it and for the factory-mounted generator for electricity (which is no longer there), fell victim to my expansion mania  ;)

At the same time I could devote myself to the shock absorbers on the front axle. They looked a bit too scruffy already - therefore moved here a few new one

Thomas

Schmitti

Today was again NEN afternoon time to look at the little ones to do something.
First, I replaced the old fuel pump because the old man is likely to become brittle in the area of the membrane. They did their job no longer reliable.

Also my thought, this should be a nearly 40-year-old water pump renewed once was not wrong. After I removed the fan and drive belts, I could break down the old thing with a hammer and chisel.
Here the sight compared:

In a similar case ... but nutfree sight:

After everything was thoroughly cleaned and de-rusted, this is now clean in place:

The pulleys and belts, as well as a new thermostat have migrated directly back into the engine compartment. Thereafter I devoted myself to the radiator / heater hoses, since the owner has raged bad. After I had given me clarity here, which is probably how well connected, I have the tubing connected with a new heater valve. That's what I was able to enjoy short, because when filling the radiator he was "woman-friendly" ... he licked. 2 small, lousy holes have crept in here. So I can only think that he did not like the whole dry season and coincided in itself to me. Well ... now rather than later on the highway.

In the dashboard I found a display with which I can not do anything. Can you tell me what the clock AT T is?

Schmitti

In the "chassis" I would have a help request, made ​​with respect to a new cooler. However, my chassis (Chrysler) is not there yet, and I hope now that this is now not a "fault" is it to post here.
From Germany, the search for a new design and matching cooler unfortunately somewhat difficult. Could someone provide a link to disposal, which an order could arangieren easier to me?
The cooler is the following code:
Chrysler
3827 621
I hope it helps and thank you in advance.

JessEm

Your Chrysler chassis is listed under Dodge.

I don't understand what you mean by "cooler'? Are you talking about the Air Conditioner?

AT&T clock? Maybe it's an aftermarket clock, not original to the vehicle? The only AT&T I'm familiar with is a telephone company here in the US.

Sorry I can't be more help. I'm new to RVs myself.

TerryH

Schmitti
Try this link - scroll to the bottom of the page:

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=740.0

I am not a "Chrysler" person, but if you are doing a search you may find more information if you search under "Dodge" as opposed to "Chrysler".

Hope this helps.

By the way, I believe what you refer to as "cooler" is what we refer to as "radiator".
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

DaveVA78Chieftain

Dodge P/N 3827621 is for a radiator in a 75-76 Dodge 440-3 motorhome chassis.  Unfortunately they are not produced new any more.  You will either have to get a radiator shop (special order) to re-core yours or convert to something else.  Re-core here in the US is typically a $400-$500 job.  I hate to think what that might be in the UK.  Please do a site search for 440-3 radiator.

Dave
[move][/move]

Schmitti

@JessAm:
The clock looks pretty original to me and sorry, of course I meant the radiator - Google translated it somewhat differently than intended.
Are Dodge and Chrysler identical? That's good to know. Here go all vehicle parts only Manufacturer / Vehicle Make / Model rauszusuchen .. by pure part numbers goes nothing.

@TerryH:
Thanks for the link, I will read me now take a closer look. I also just found out this is the German expression ( "Kühler"=cooler) with you the radiator  :)

@DaveVA78Chieftain:
Thanks for the advice. However, I'm in Germany and have to look around here. Most companies in the UK do not ship to Germany, and even bucking the contact. I can not think why though - but I will not go into detail on it ... just say: My year of birth is the 1972nd W%

Thanks for all help
Thomas