1973 Indian Resurrection

Started by 007, December 22, 2012, 05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

so now i know how much of the corner molding i have to pull,so dad grabs one screw gun and i grab the other and start pulling screws, lotsa screws . pull the molding and staples and the screws inside the cabinets holding the roof down i guess, there you go roofs loose. dad and i go inside pick it up and slide it back one good push and the roofs on the ground . it's built like a sandwich, roof metel, thin plywwood, sheet insulation,  vinal covered plywood for the ceiling all glued together, great idea :)ThmbUp

LJ-TJ

Pictures holy cow don't forget the pictures :)ThmbUp

well LJ here inlies the problem... iwas in such a hurry to get the roof off and on and at the time and i did not know about this site, i didn't take any with the roof off D:oH! . but i know everyone likes pictures so i found this :laugh:

LJ-TJ

so after taking some numbers and coming up with a plan we will also build a sandwich. 3/8plywood thats vinyl coated on one side for the outside, 1/2pink foam insulation sheet in the middle, 3/8 plywood that i glued FRP sheets to so it would match the ceiling inside. so here's the materials list 3 sheets each of the above mentioned plywood, foam and frp,2gal contact cement, 6 tubes foam panel glue (calk gun type) 4- 8 foot pieces of 1x1 alumium angel (thin stuff for corner molding to hold the roof to the side) 5 tubes 100% silacone, couple short nap paint roller covers and roller pan inserts(to apply contact cement), couple boxes #10 x 3/4 stainless steel screws and 4-8foot plastic board connectors ( looks like a H turned sidways that i cut into a T to cover the seams on the roof side)$500 out the door lets go build a sandwich.

sometimes i crack myself up :)rotflmao

this is still the first day but by this time its late afternoon so the plan is to glue up the roof panels and let them set till morning. so first step is to glue the FRP to the plywood with the contact cement , coat both parts and let it tac up,we cut some wood strips to put between the plywwod and frp so we get it straight as possible because once they touch thats where it is, worked pretty good W% then i used my 100lb floorning roller to roll it for good contact, then flipped it over andand then  glued the foam to the other side and the vinyl coated plywood to that. that took till dark but went pretty well overall, nothing the table saw can't fix. i'm guessing everyone gets the idea but i figured i'd throw in a normal picture of what it kinda looked like

ClydesdaleKevin

Good deal!  Glad you went wall to wall.  We did a partial roof repair on our first RV, The Ark, but didn't go wall to wall, and it started sagging at the AC unit with a month of doing the job.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ya kevin it worked out great, and was the fastest  way to get it closed up

was going to take off for ohio but with the freezing rain and crappy weather figure i'll wait and take off in the morning,better than having to put the big truck in the ditch to avoid an accident. 500mi in that weather gets old fast!! N:(

so first thing sat morning run the panels through the table saw to square up all the edgesto make a clean even looking panel. pretty nice having a  setup that if i needed i can rip a 4x8 sheet of plywood into 1inch strips by myself, either direction :) . just ran outside in the freezing rain and pulled a number off the roof (for the #s people) 7'9" side to side is what we cut the panels down to sit on the walls and inside the skin that makes up the sides as it sticks up above the wall to attach the roof.

time to get the tape measure out again as to figure out where the seems will end up in relationship to the vent pipes, and cabinets for best support and trying to not have a vent pipe end up a on a seem. as a side note there was a bed that folded out above the couch /bed in the back that wasn't going to be used again and was turned into a cabinet.

[smg id=4984]

the pic above is where the new roof starts. i made the trim boards in the shop to cover the seems out  of oak stained to match the cabinets as close as possible. and i aslo built the faceframe and doors for the cabinet above the bed , this gave alot of support to the seem in the back and the storage is great for pillows and blankets

[smg id=4979]

[smg id=4985]

[smg id=4982]

[smg id=4986]

here's the pictures from the roof. front to back . first sheet i ripped down so the seem between the second and third sheet landed on the wall of the closet on one side and bathroom on the other,gave it i clean look and lots of support. as you can see the one vent pipe landed on a seem ,i think it's from the shower, at this point i hadn;t cut in the fridge vent  but i did that the folling weekend. after getting the roof panels in place i silaconed it me t strip covering the outside seems screwed the roof back down to the cabinets from the inside. then i had to cut and fit my aluminun angel set up a jig on the drill press to pre drill the holes added a bead of silacone aand screwed it to the roof first then to the sides,worked out great no leaks and you could hold a dance up there now :) :)  what do you think , not bad for two days work. took me longer to tell this part of the story than to do the work :)rotflmao  hope i explaned it ok Hm? there is more to this story but the mighty winnabago got a roof :)ThmbUp

[smg id=4972]

LJ-TJ

:)ThmbUp WOW! Nicely done. Looks fantastic. :)clap

Lefty

I'm highly impressed. Roof replacements are the one thing with these old rigs that are most often needed, cost a fortune to have professionally done, and scare the crap out of most new owners. Thanks for taking the time to give everyone a great detailed guide on how you did yours.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

ClydesdaleKevin

Outstanding!  I can't wait to here more of the story!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

thanks everyone, turned out pretty good. next up,getting that ac unit back up on the roof Hm? , repaire split water lines,inverter install and as we all know the list goes on.and i will also have some question as i go , but thanks to all the great people and tons of info on this site makes me want to do it right. for example; now i'm thinking solar for the motorhome and the big truck Hm? thanks kevin for the great solar info, might have to take a road trip and meet you and see your setup when you come to kenosha,  and  thanks everyone else that contrubets to this site!! i will also try to help if i can .  mark

so now that the roofs on and all sealed up it's time to cut some holes in it, first one is the refridge vent. that vent pretty well , used a sheet rock square to line it up down the side , hole saw and a jig saw to cut the hole, painted the vent cover white.couple beads of silicone and scerwed it to the roof. perfect

next up the roof ac, one time the ac worked, (meaning the pump kicked in) and when it kicks in you know it, but just before un hooking it, the pump didn't kick in so i wasn't going to install it before i was sure it worked and got cold. over the winter it went into my mini storage , so dad and i went over and got it set it on some saw horses and fire it up ao a ext cord figured out where the hi ac was on the switch was after finding the decal and after running a couple min the compressor kicked in and blew cold air, woohoo

as everyone knows cutting a hole in a perfectly good roof better done right and in the right spot. so after going up and down the ladder 5-6 times and alot of measurements so it ends up in the right and looks like it should from the inside which was the important part to me i made a template and drilled holes on the 4 corners from the inside out the went back up on the roof and cut it out. couple more bead of 100% silicone and screwed the base plate to the roof.

now to get the unit back up there Hm? since the is a tree with a decent size branch sticking out over the motor home where i park it we made i sling for the unit and ran a rope over the branch (wish i had a pulley)hoisted it up and backed the winnie under it and lowered it down kepping it flat the whole time , worked great  :)clap but i have to say mom was shaking her head thought we were a little nuts, but nobody got hurt and we got the jod done!! bolted it down,painted the inside and outside covers and wired it up  and shazam, got air and it looks like new :)

cosmic

thats called thinking outside the box. Something men just do little better. lol :)rotflmao

so last weekend fired up the mighty indian and pulled it out where i could get at it, over the winter mom made new covers for the dinette she even made the beading for the corners :)ThmbUp . looks great old school green cloth just what i wanted , gotta love mom. anyway after shovling the roof off a couple times this winter i managed to create a leak at one of my seams when i caught that t-moulding i made with the shovel and ice chopper D:oH! , next winter i'll build A-frames  and set up a ridge beam and tarp it so the snow and ice slide right off. over the winter i ordereed some eterna bond tape because of what i read on this site and i gotta say HOLY $@!#@!  that stuff sticks, infact once i got started i tore all the T-moulding off, cleaned off the silicon and crap with a scotchbrite pad and brake cleaner and layed down the eterna bond tape and rolled it with my laminte roller wow thats good stuff. in fact while shoveling a hit my roof vent cover and it was so brittle it broke the hinge off the plastic  $@!#@!  so used the eternabond for a hinge,also ordered one of those covers so i can leave it open all the time, screwed it down and good to go.

by the way did i mention, todd, the guy i got the onan from sent two full rolls of eternebond, two tubes of proflex rv caulk in with the gen shipment  THANKS TODD!!

did i mention that tape is sticky!! the last of that roll went in my semi, you never know Hm?

next post; gen install , new led clearence lights and eye brow decal( wish i'd trimmed my down after seeing the other post)

did also mention it was 75-80 here the other day, today it's snowing, 4-5 inches on the ground and still coming down, ac going full blast in my semi in Madison wi. yesterday heat on 3hrs later when i got to Eau Claire wi.(home) crazy i??

burt6666

Jonbbrew

Quote from: 007 on January 01, 2013, 12:28 PM
you're right LJ-TJ  it was one heck of a ride, wish i would have found this site alot sooner, ton of great info here!!,so first thing i do is pull the carb and throw a kit at it, worked great and runs like a champ :)clap couple spins around the block  all is  good. figured out what that fram filter is between the drivers seat and the wall, air filter for the brake boosters, did some more brake bleeding and shazam fluid comes out both rear bleeders and the pedel comes up nice plus you can hear the air moving through the filter, we got power brakes  :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp , much better than standing on the pedel to stop,

next hook up a a hose to check the water system and yup we got leaks ,first one is the line split by the water heater, quick fix cut it out and put in a  foot of heater hose double clamped on both ends good to go on that one, the other was tougher to get at, it was a line going to the sink in the closet under the heater, small split so i cut about a 1 inch piece of heater hos and split it so i could slide it over the coppper tubing and clamp right on the split, i know this is not the proper way to do ths but i'm trying to figure out where i stand before dumping alot of money into it other than the 800 i paid for it.turned the water back on no leaks and all the facets work  fine so i filled the tank turned on the compressor pumped to 45 or so pounds shut off and held  woohoo!! even fired up the water heater not long and i got hot and cold running water,time to do some cleaning :)clap sorry about the reuse of pics, this is closer to where they should be. i like to work  in a somewhat clean space so the winnie got a pressure washing  and interior clean  , steam cleaned the carpet 9 times turned out pretty good, orig green shag gotta love it,  old school baby!! i'm keeping it

Looking good. My brake problem is they are touchy as all heck...Feathering is a chore...i mean they are on or off, no in between. Did a bleed but still not sure what the deal is. Havent got around to a wheel off day. At 40 mph plus there is a high pitch cherp from the front right...wheel bearing? Brake adjustment? not sure...will start with that tire one day but need to pick up some big wrenches.
Keep Er' Goin' Eh!

Jonathan

Rickf1985

Did you get all the return springs on in the right order and did you get the primary and secondary shoes in the right positions?

Jonbbrew

Quote from: Rickf1985 on May 14, 2016, 07:08 PM
Did you get all the return springs on in the right order and did you get the primary and secondary shoes in the right positions?

If you are talking about my comment....I don't know. I haven't done any work on the brakes since I have owned it. Plus, when I do get in the wheel, I'm not sure i would know if it was not put together right.  Is there a diagram?

Honestly this is my biggest headache and fear as not being able to stop this rig would be a nightmare!
Keep Er' Goin' Eh!

Jonathan

Rickf1985

There are many diagrams and the manuals will have pictures but probably the easiest way nowadays is to Google something like "proper drum brake assembly".