1973 Indian Resurrection

Started by 007, December 22, 2012, 05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

first thing,MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!! I'm getting ready to tell my indian adventure story,  with pics of course, so get ready, lets see if this works. just figured out how to resize my pics so wish me luck, should be interesting i hope. story begins in the fall of 2011 bought it from a freind it was at his farm here in wi.

woo hoo !! got to know this guy through a freind a few years ago, this was setting in his farm yard and in pretty tough shap by first/ all apperance. dirty, setting in the weed, awning tore off (frame still there and attached )beer cans in the sink, carpet pretty much black,bird fethers inside, roof leaks in the back , you get he picture , pretty tough shape . sorry no pics from then. my plan was to strip it for parts to use in my semi. refg  was in good shape and i had some other ideas as i am building a custom interior in my big truck (007)if you see me holler, hey hi-tech on the radio ch19 of course  if you have a menards in you state i've probaly been there

ClydesdaleKevin

Pretty cool!  I can wait for more pictures and the rest of the story!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

LJ-TJ

• Not to shabby, you have us waiting with baited breath in panting anticipation for the next installment. ???

so i met paul through a freind about a year or so before i bought this, it was at the family farm which was vacant but he farmed it and lived elsewhere and used the motorhome when he worked there as a place to sleep rather than driving home, hence the beer cans dirty black carpet ect. he traded a atv for this thing years before took it camping once or twice then his kids used it once a year to camp over 4th of july a couple times never changed it into his name but signed the title in case he or them would get pulled over, (we'll get into that later)

so one afternoon i stopped over with a 30pack of bush lite and we started chatin about the indian said he had the title some where and we could make a deal on the parts and he would take the skidsteer after the rest and get rid of it.  cool, at that time i just wanted the fridge and any other parts i could use in my truck so we took the 30pk out to the winnie wiped the bird feathers off the table and stared looking her over. well the outside was in decent shape, no broken windows ect had all lights tires pretty nice humm. lets plug it in, and hook up some propane, found the tanks in the barn one still had gas in it so here we go, stove lights, ovens like new inside with broiler pan and lights,  cool, refg lights and gets cold, cool, hot water heater lights ,oh ya heater lits also  . had to plug and unplug a couple times and the lights and compressor comes on ,converter works  :)ThmbUp at this point i'm thinking... he says it drove itself to this spot and it ran a couple years ago Hm? 

thats a later pic , don't have any from the farm .and that's not the same 30pk W%

cosmic

OK you got my attention. I'm signed up. keep it coming.

on to the inside,all the cabinets are in great shape,if fact in one of the cabinets above the tableall the orignal books and paper work from the orig owner are there,with notes  pretty cool. bathrooms in great shape, roof in the back was leaking and saged with a little water damage on one wall but the floor seemed solid . seat covers are junk but the foam was good
on the back sofa and dinette. 60,000 on the odometer,dash nice, drivers and pass seat nice,pull down bunk over the drivers seat nice and orig am radio that works

so now for a price, told paul 800 if i can drive it home, 500 if i strip all the parts i want. he agreed. now it's time to mak it run, stuffed in a battery and it started for about 30 sec, good enough for today,bleed some brakes and see if it drives will be next so i shot the bleder screws with some penatrating oil , checked the brake fluid, empty ,topped it off, let it set till the next weekend, now it gets fun,who says you need gasoline to drive a gas engine?? ,brakes there kinda optional also

thanks mark for helping me out with moving this around and coming up with the new name ( perfect) and the other tips you provided. like i said "the fun begins"  i've reliezed these things grow on a person , wish  i would have taken more pics right from the start D:oH! ,got them in my mind,just hope i'm describing things good  enough untill my brain catches up with my camera :)rotflmao  ENJOY THE RIDE!!

Oz

This is a fantastic topic.  So many of us have gone through it and there's always something new to learn each time.  I guess it can only be described as a very "special" passion unique to us.  Some would think we're just stupid but, we know better.  It's just "how we roll". 

What's that gray post next to the driver's seat?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

HandyDan

ooh, ooh, ooh,  I know, I know.  Let me tell the answer! 
It is a light stand for a florescent desk lamp like what a drafter might use.  Am I right?   :)

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Elandan2

ooh, ooh, ooh, I know, I know. Let me tell the answer!

I wonder where Dan has heard that before?   Hm?
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL!  You guys are too funny.  I love this forum!

Keep the story and the pics coming!  I love it!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Wantawinnie

Nice! I will be watching this one. Dad had a '73 Indian when I was a kid that got me hooked on these old beauties.

Oz

QuoteIt is a light stand for a florescent desk lamp like what a drafter might use.  Am I right?

OMG - Do I feel stupid?  No... it's... HOW stupid do I feel?!

:-[
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

you got it dan , pretty handy light even put my slippers on to take these pics , not to bad out  :)ThmbUp

HandyDan

That looks just like the PIXAR light that completely stomps out the I in pixar at the start of each movie.  I always thought the light was a bully because it attacked the I completely unprevoked.  Yours looks very innocent, though, almost questioning why you are there spying on it.  I wonder what it does when you aren't looking??   Hm? :)rotflmao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8ggr1KcWtKs

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

DELTA912

I'd like to own that type of lamp. Pixar Egg was funny too.
Found an RV. 1976 Dodge spotsman W/ 360
Family Wagon by Travco!

$@!#@! $@!#@! $@!#@! just typed for about 20 min , went to hit back space must have hit delete ,gone  D:oH!   3rd time i'v done that  even told myself the last time ,copy copy copy...time for a smoke. you're right dan , look close... the lights on but it's not plugged in??

HandyDan

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

sat moring back to the farm, load up 10gal gas, brake fluid ,carb cleaner, wd40 and a 12pack of busch lite.
when i pull up pauls  underneith the winnie and he got three the bleeders loose, one front and both rears cool!
oh ya filling and checking the master cyl, what a pain in the but that is ,  if i would have had my sawzall with me there would be a hole in the floor right above the cover, so after about an hour or so alot of swearing couple of beers and a few smokes  the one front caliper bleeds nice i broke the bleeder on the other one  $@!#@!  but managed to get the line loose at the caliper and bleed good to that point, nothing coming out the rear bleeders but we got a pedel , i'll tell you what,round and round that thing, up and down check and fill the fluid $@!#@! $@!#@! the beer tasted pretty good at 9am and we got brakes  :)ThmbUp

next step, we are pretty sure it will stop,time to make it go. dump 5gal gas in each tank refill the carb with gas and carb cleaner she fires up and dies, runs and dieseach time it runs a little longer. after about 10 min of that it fires up and idles on it's own, not great, kinda missing  but not too bad, woohoo. drop it in gear it wants to go but we had to give it a pull to get it out of the holes it was stuck in. unhook throw it in drive and pull it up to the shop, good oil pressure, altenators charging  and the brakes worked ok :)clap . tranny fluid looks good but doesn't seen to be flowing the coolant so i shut it down and pulled the thermostat and now we got flow upper and lower hoses warm and the radiators warm  also :)ThmbUp . figured out it was missing on 4 plugs, every other one when i pulled the wires at the cap Hm?  spark at the cap and also had spark at the plug, well i brought might as well throw in a set, no problem right ,pass side piece of cake 5 min, drivers side what the  $@!#@! , after some more swearing anothe beer and a couple smokes i got them in,still missing Hm? . so i had paul put it in gear and step on the gas a little to put a load on it then i gave it a shot of card cleaner on the passenger side primary and she smoothed right out, cool pulled and plugged all the vacume line to elimate that possililty no differance re hooked them up gotta be a pluged up carb. so we took it for a couple spins around the farm paul driving me running the carb cleaner good to go and wouldn't do to bad once you got it going, time for  a beer and a smoke :)

ClydesdaleKevin

Great story so far!  Beer and smokes always make the job easier!  Or in my case, a bit of good bourbon when the job's all done...lol

Kev

time to hit the road.got a freind that lives about 5 mi away on the way to my house so i told paul lets see if it will make it to ricks, i'll take the motorhome and he can follow in my pickup with a tow strap and of course the beer in case we break down.  :)rotflmao  it went pretty good, went through a can of carb cleaner to get there and just about took out a mailbox D:oH!  (i swear that things bigger than my semi), but it made it :)ThmbUp  leave it at ricks for the night and come up with a plan for the 15mi trip home,about the last 5 are right through town os it's going to be interesting gota figure out a way to make it run better going down the road  and just have to use the carb cleaner when taking off from the stops Hm? . plan is to meet at ricks about 9;30 being sunday traffic should be lite as everyone should be at church praying i make it LOL. so rick paul and i pull up a couple lawn chairs open a couple cold ones and start brain storming a plan and rick was willing to help with whatever he could as now it's in his yard N:(  got it! trick i used years ago, propane!

LJ-TJ

There's a post on cutting a hole in the floor for the master brake cylinder however if you have to do it again go to the dollar store or I think you guys call it the Dollar General and buy one of those plastic Mustard or catchup dispenser's. Fill it with brake fluid an it's a cake walk to put brake fluid in the master cylinder.Turn the steering wheel to the left. Makes it easier to get at the master cylinder. Also pick up one of those flash lights that mounts on the brim of your ball cap..Big Help and a cheap mirror from the dollar general. For the cost yah might want to just replace the Voltage regulator, ballast resistor and voltage regulator. No reason just in expensive and then you know it's done. i??