1973 Indian Resurrection

Started by 007, December 22, 2012, 05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thanks LJ, this fall i did just that. replaced the ingnition mod, ballest res and voltage reg. saved the old ones for back up. and the ketchup bottle is a great idea :)ThmbUp

so back to rick sunday moring, 10 more gal of gas and  grabbed the propane tank and hose fron the grill. the indian fires right up so as it warms up i get he propane set up ready and add 5more gal gas to eack tank  for good measure (fue gauge doesn't move when i flip the tank switch but i can hear the valve click so we'll see what happens)

so here's the plan , dad in front in my p/u with a tow rope and paul following in his truck with a tow rope so if she dies we can pull in either direction as needed :)rotflmao . ok lets go!!told dad to keep moving as i don't want to cone to a complete stop if i don't have to as it' a pain to get going from a dead stop. so laast check brakes ,ok, gas in the tanks ,propane tank next to the seat with the hose zip tied to the air cleaner stud feeding into the r/s of the carb and two cans of card cleaner for extra power when needed and a diet pepsi cause it going to get hot with the dog house cover off on the way home.

off we go put her in drive give her some gas and a shot of carb cleaner and we are rolling put down the carb cleaner and crack the valve on the propane tank and it's running nice on all 8 as long as i didn't get into the throttle to hard just kind crused it along :D . when we had to slow down or almost stop W%  had to adjust the propane grabe the carb cleaner  for take off and it went like that all the way home  :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp . had a couple issues on the ride,ran out of carb cleaner in the middle of town D:oH!  , that made getting going from the stop signs interesting  church got out there's three of them the street home, people pulling out in front of me $@!#@! , stop signs backed up, and did i mention hot,holly smokes it was hot in there!!, icing on the cake ... power steering belt broke three blocks from home.three right turns and one left , pulled in the drive way shut everything  down  and jumped out did i mention it was hot, but it's made it home on it's own :)clap :)clap  and drove pretty good all,things considered. first hing on the list, got through the carb ,and better brakes.

LJ-TJ

:)rotflmao Fantastic. I don't think anybody here can't relate to some part of that trip. Congratulations. Now the fun begins. Take your time,don't take any short cuts, do it right the first time and your going to and some grand adventures.Other guys put there money into hot rods or there daily drivers. Our Winnebago's are our hot rods but we get to take the hole family with us,we get to travel in comfort and once we get to destination we get to relax in style. :)ThmbUp

you're right LJ-TJ  it was one heck of a ride, wish i would have found this site alot sooner, ton of great info here!!,so first thing i do is pull the carb and throw a kit at it, worked great and runs like a champ :)clap couple spins around the block  all is  good. figured out what that fram filter is between the drivers seat and the wall, air filter for the brake boosters, did some more brake bleeding and shazam fluid comes out both rear bleeders and the pedel comes up nice plus you can hear the air moving through the filter, we got power brakes  :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp , much better than standing on the pedel to stop,[/size]

next hook up a a hose to check the water system and yup we got leaks ,first one is the line split by the water heater, quick fix cut it out and put in a  foot of heater hose double clamped on both ends good to go on that one, the other was tougher to get at, it was a line going to the sink in the closet under the heater, small split so i cut about a 1 inch piece of heater hos and split it so i could slide it over the coppper tubing and clamp right on the split, i know this is not the proper way to do ths but i'm trying to figure out where i stand before dumping alot of money into it other than the 800 i paid for it.turned the water back on no leaks and all the facets work  fine so i filled the tank turned on the compressor pumped to 45 or so pounds shut off and held  woohoo!! even fired up the water heater not long and i got hot and cold running water,time to do some cleaning :)clap sorry about the reuse of pics, this is closer to where they should be. i like to work  in a somewhat clean space so the winnie got a pressure washing  and interior clean  , steam cleaned the carpet 9 times turned out pretty good, orig green shag gotta love it,  old school baby!! i'm keeping it

junkyarddogfan

i thought the same thing about a 'trap door' for the brake fluid. just redid all the carpeting in my chieftain and had everything outta the cab area. figured this would be a piece of cake then to just cut a trap door in the floor to ease brake fluid install...no go. the floor is nothing but a thin piece of sheet metal and where the master cylinder is in comparison to where the seat bolts in along with there being no support for anything, one can't really do it without compromising the integrity of the floor as well as the seat mounts without major welding of square tubing around what would be the opening and relocating the seat mounts for the door to even be accessable. just a p*ss poor design on where they put the brake system imho.

glad u made it home safetly, heard many horror stories of guys trying that and burning something up just a mile from home...

also been in ur position once before but in a fully loaded semi, loaded with beer, lol.......clutch went out 340 miled from home, company wanted to fix truck at home rather than on the road....only way to get it going at stop signs and toll booths was to shut it off to get it to stop and start it up in gear when ready to go again...can't tell u how many close calls i had going thru muskogee when ppl would dart in front of me just as the truck fired up and lurched forward from a stop sign/red light...lol

winnie looks good, keep up the good resurrection work.

Froggy1936

Reminds me of the time in my buddys 36 Ford when the fuel pump went bad on the way back to Pgh. from Geneva on the lake  we tide the hood down (fold up from ea side) and i rode on the fender pouring gasoline into carb from a pepsi bottle Till we found a place to purchase a fuel pump ahh memories !!  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

thanks for the info junkyard,checked  the brake fluid a couple different times this summer and so far staying full,they say horse power gets you down the track, torque gets you up the mountain or in your case starter torque to get 80,000lbs moving :)ThmbUp i've hit the starter on my big truck a couple times in gear the truck jumps and so does your heart D:oH!

geeze frank , i thought i had a wild ride, thats crazy!! gota do what ya gota do i??  better than pushing it to the parts store  Hm?

LJ-TJ

Can't get the stupid grin off my face.  Have adder the fun has just begun. :)ThmbUp

so after a day of cleaning and empting the back spare parts area and wiping down and going through the cabinets.time to tear into the roof. but first make a run to the dmv to get the title straightend out and pick up plates in my name before spending any more money in case of a problem.only problem i had was i had to pay to transfer into his name as he signed the title then into mine 2 hrs and 250$ later i'm out he door :)ThmbUp and its mine and legal to drive. $1050.00 into it at this point. now lets fix the roof first thing,figure out how many feet i'm going to replace looks like from about the middle of the stove back has got to go, about 11feet Hm?

rustyescott1

i recamend doing the whole roof! would you put half a roof on your house?
Rusty Escott

cosmic

roof or ceiling? or both?
great story so far. tick toc. the suspense is killing me man.
keep typing...............???????

LJ-TJ

Can you get us some pic's? Hm? Is it leaking now or can you get by for the time being? Hm?

Here's the short version for now ,the roof was done with in a week of getting it home, i only had two days before i had to take  off again  this was  fall 2010, wish i knew about this site  back then, but i had to get it sealed up asap tore on a fri, built ,  installed and sealed up by dark on sat in my drive way, dad and i kicked some butt

just loaded a bunch of pics in the gallery  under 007 hope you can see them,be back with more of the story in a couple days ,later Mark-007

cosmic

remember mark. before you hit post. right click and copy. Took me a lot of losses before remembered to do this every single time. If your like me its painful enough typing it the first time.
if it disappears then right click and paste on new sheet. (typing back)

LJ-TJ

. :laugh: Cosmic is right. Just right click...hit copy and then if you loose it,just right click and wallaaa!

ClydesdaleKevin

The internet infrastructure has been changed to streamline things for people with super fast internet connections...even the new OS systems are designed for high speed connections.  Which leaves us folks with older systems and cell phone connections with stalled out uploads and downloads and lost info.

Copy and paste, copy and paste...its the only thing to do, but at least it works. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

If you're experiencing technical problems, please post them on the Get Help with Forum Features board rarther than on the topic itself.  That just detracts from the topic more than the technical issue already does. 

I did a test and found that the uploads start to bog down over 250kb in file size and at 5 - 6 attachments. So, I'm leaving the number of attachments at 4 per post and 300kb per photo.  There's really no need to post photos bigger than that.  This should also help to eliminate rejection due to encryption security checks possibly getting things jammed up.

I made a tweak which relates to encryption of downloaded images.  Hopefully, this helps. 

Please, continue with the project.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

back on topic this weekead ,thanks mark

Mytdawg

This all looks very familiar somehow...  But I didn't have to rig propane etc.  I've gone about 200 miles so far with no brake lights.  (although I have running lights and a chase vehicle - usually)  These things are like giant white elephants.  I don't think anyone actually "sees" them.  You pull one out of a field and drive it through a busy town with some seriously sketchy safety equipment and people just drive around you.  Not that I'm complaining...   W%

LJ-TJ

:)rotflmao So What's Your Point. :laugh:

Mytdawg

Quote from: LJ-TJ on January 23, 2013, 03:33 PM
:)rotflmao So What's Your Point. :laugh:

I just figured it would be a cop magnet.  Seems to be quite the opposite.  I can live with that.  Let's just say that I um... have spoken with many officers?...   :-[

ClydesdaleKevin

Speaking of which...Hey 007!!!  We want more of the story!!!  :D

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Lefty

A roof job in 2 days... That's gotta be some kind of record!!
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

i'll do my best to  kick some more of the story out this weekend Hm?

So here’s how the roof went. First thing , pulled the ac unit loose and lowered it down to the ground sliding it down the ladder, man that thing was heavy!!. Then pulled the railing, awning , ladder ,roof/refg vents off and the back spoiler thing off and I’m ready to go. Grab the 12foot step ladder ext cord and my skill saw and head to the roof.

Checked how far the water damage went on the inside to see where to make the saw cut.  As it worked out pretty close to where the cut was going to be there was a seem so I used that as a guide so I gt a straight cut. Of course dads a cabinet maker and has tendency to check and recheck, one of those measure twice cut once kind of guys which I am when I have the time, lol  but don’t have that kind of time so I set the depth so it would just saw through the inside and not leave a  big sawcut in the  cabinets, using the roof seam as a guide fired up the saw and made a cut clean across the roof and there ya go, we’re replacing that much roof.