Mike's 1973 D22 Complete tear out. From the Roof down!

Started by RockwoodMike, September 25, 2019, 11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockwoodMike

Hello Everyone!!Ready for another full rip out project? This is my 1973 D22..Bought it off Craig's list back in June 2019..
And it was a roof cave in..Water just poured into it during the last winter..Smelled all moldy and your typical stink..That is why it need EVERYTHING ripped out of it..
Here is the first picture..Dodge 440..It ran..barely..20 mph getting it home..It was only 5 miles away at the sellers house..
I always wanted one of these things..Now it is time to do it up right!!
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

Here it is from the inside..just forward of the air conditioner is the roof cavein
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

Dodge 440..6 gallons to the mile..errr. It has a fuel delivery problem..That is why we couldn't get it up to 20 miles an hour, getting it home..Actually more like 6 miles the gallon!!
Being here in California, it is smog exempt because of the year it was built..So that opens alot of possibilities on the motor rebuild..

RockwoodMike

Someone had laid the carpet that was showing on top of the original factory carpet

RockwoodMike

Your typical ding and mess ups to be repaired

RockwoodMike

Here it is interior from the front looking aft..You can see the roof cave in..It was "repaired" then just poured in

RockwoodMike

I am not going to bore everyone with the rip out pictures but here it is with the roof completely off and all the interior torn out..

RockwoodMike

This is the right rear upper corner..Typical of everything found

RockwoodMike

So now that everything is ripped out and the roof is off..This is where I began..Making a new board frame for that upper rear panel..Using the Kreg pocket screw hole system..Got everything I needed from Lowe's for that..Liquid nails to re glue it to the aluminum

RockwoodMike

At the very top of the port and starboard wall was a 3.5x1.5 strip of blue foam ..You can see where I stripped it off..I have attached a 1x4 with glue and clamps, down the length of the wall..and the a 1x3 on top of that to create a channel for the wiring harnesses..I will take a picture of that tomorrow..
I am way ahead of this project..The rafter are all up and I am sheeting the roof now..But I will take all the pictures to catch you all up on this..
That is it for tonight..More tomorrow 

ClydesdaleKevin

Where there is a will, there is a way!  Keep posting the pictures!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

The other couple that are building one of these will be very interested in what you are doing!

RockwoodMike

Like I said, I am way ahead on this..I am taking pictures to explain the steps I did..I wish I had been taking the pictures as I went along instead of back tracking..Anyway..
So as shown in this pic..I glued a 1x4 directly to the aluminum while it rested on top of the blue foam..Clamps and Liquid nails..Over night set up..Then glued and screwed a 1x3 on top of that..That created a ledge for the rafters to set on and a channel for the wire harness to run down the length to the back..The port wall wires run the rear brake lights.. clearance etc..
Did the same wood work on the starboard side too

RockwoodMike

here is the starboard side..see the channel for the wiring? I wish I had cleaned up the glue where it oozed out while it was still wet..

RockwoodMike

Here is the starboard wall looking back at the rear corner

RockwoodMike

detail shots of the upper rear corners

RockwoodMike

With the 1x4  glued to the aluminum and resting on top of the blue foam...And the 1x3 glued and screwed to the 1x4, that created a channel for the wire harness to set into..
Those 2 pieces of wood creates a ledge for the roof rafters to set on top of ..

RockwoodMike

Here is the design of the rafter..Lowe's has a nice kiln dried 2x3x96 inch

The motorhome is 93 inches wide..I made it where the middle of the rafter has a 18 inch span (flat)that is not cut...at that point it tapers to 1.25 inches out to the end of the rafter which will create the run off needed..

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Rickf1985 on September 26, 2019, 09:57 AM
The other couple that are building one of these will be very interested in what you are doing!

Hi Rick, where is that other couple you mentioned??

ClydesdaleKevin

I can't wait to see all the rest of your pictures!  Most folks would have considered your Winnie a basket case and beyond repair, but you brought it back from the grave.  You sir are a hero!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

RockwoodMike

Thanks Kevin for the link..Yes I looked that over awhile back before I got started on mine ..I hope they are able to pull that one back together..
I just glue and screwed the top plywood today..It is may rain tomorrow night..I just need to get the plastic on it tomorrow..Plywood is all down now..

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: RockwoodMike on September 27, 2019, 10:19 PM
Thanks Kevin for the link..Yes I looked that over awhile back before I got started on mine ..I hope they are able to pull that one back together..
I just glue and screwed the top plywood today..It is may rain tomorrow night..I just need to get the plastic on it tomorrow..Plywood is all down now..

I'm very impressed!  That is some top notch carpentry work!

Kev

Rickf1985

I like that fastening system. Do you have any issues with the 2x4's splitting at the ends?

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Rickf1985 on September 28, 2019, 11:01 AMI like that fastening system. Do you have any issues with the 2x4's splitting at the ends?
A little bit because I was using wet 2x4.I couldn't find any kiln dried 2x4 at Lowe's
Here are some pictures on how the Kreg system works..The drill tha creates the pocket hole has a tip on it that creates a hole for the shaft of the screw to help with splitting of the wood..
This system has taken over the Custom Kitchen Cabinet industries..It works great!!
So you just clamp that blue jig with the special clamp and drill away and it creates these pockets at an angle..With the construction adhesive..SUPER STRONG!!