Part Number for Tag axle shear springs?

Started by Pogo397, April 01, 2014, 07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pogo397

I have a 1984 holiday rambler on a Chevy chassis. Does anyone have a part number for the shear springs on the tax axle. The rubber is in bad shape, so I can't see any numbers on them.

Froggy1936

Pogo397 Go to Chassis on main menu / Chev / pg8 All the info is there You will have to contact MorRyde for parts  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Stripe

Man I am glad I inspected mine on my HR Imperial..  I seem to have lucked out.  Same year as yours too..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sounds like a 25 to 30 life span expectancy

Dave
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

Call Mor/Ryde and tell them what you have, but when they send you the new springs, make sure they are the two piece ones bolted together, not the lighter duty one piece ones.  They sent me the wrong ones, and assured me it was just a design change.  I installed them...one of the hardest jobs I ever did...and the rig sat even lower.  The were cool about it, and when I drove through Elkhart, Indiana, they replaced them for me for free with the correct 2 piece springs.  Unfortunately, driving around with them for a year riding too low caused my coil spring boxes to break, which they did NOT warranty.  I had a local welding shop repair the spring boxes and mechanic friend of mine install them since I was too busy.  All fixed now!

So remember, you need the 2 piece bolted together shear springs that will look just like the ones that are on your RV now.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Pogo397

Mor ryde said the spring without the plate in the middle is all they offer for my motor home. I guess we will see. They will be here Friday.

Oh and that's a price of $192x4 plus shipping.

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

ClydesdaleKevin

If they don't look just like the ones on your rig, don't install them!  And call them back and cuss them out...lol!  All longer 80s HRs take the 2 piece bolted together shear springs.  The one piece ones don't work and are way too light duty.  And don't let them tell you they don't make them anymore.  When I was there last year they were in full production.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Kevin,
Do you have the P/N for the ones you used?
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

Not readily available...buried in a compartment.  But if I find it I'll post it as soon as can.

Kev

Pogo397

Part number DSR108-100. They look the same just bonded to the center plate instead of bolted

ClydesdaleKevin

Those are the WRONG ones!  Don't install them, and call them back and tell them so!  Tell them that another customer of theirs, Kevin and Patricia Smith, who they can look up, came in last summer after installing the wrong springs, and after one look, their mechanics apologized and installed the correct 2 piece heavier duty springs.  Those light weight bonded springs will sag the back end of your rig at least 2 inches lower!

Voice of experience here, so insist on the right springs, especially if you are going to install them yourself!  You don't want to have to do it twice, since as I said it was the hardest mechanical job I've ever done.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

I just looked at your profile, and you are in Indiana.  If I were you, I'd not install the springs yet, then make an appointment with Mor/Ryde and drive your rig up to Elkhart.  They are pretty reasonable with labor and do it fast, have free camping, and then you'll know its done right with the right springs.  Seems to me their mechanics know a LOT more about their systems than the sales reps do.

Kev

Pogo397

Thanks for the info. I'll call them Monday.  Did you find a part number?

ClydesdaleKevin

Actually got very lucky and found our invoice from last year.

Part ID:  MO25-003

The date they warranteed our springs with the right ones was 7/1/13, and the order number was 371534 under Kevin Smith.  That should help them to look up the work order. 

Again, the springs bonded in the middle are NOT the correct ones for a motorhome.

You need the bolted together springs, which they still make, MO25-003

Kev

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

HandyDan

I'm going to order a set right away before I lose the number.  Hope I'm up to installing them.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

DaveVA78Chieftain

Thanks for posting all that Kevin.  It is now recoded so it shall be done!  :)

Dave
[move][/move]

ibdilbert01

These are M025-003.

4 sets cost about $950 bucks to ship to Ohio just a few weeks ago.  My rig has 8, 4 on each side, no tag axle.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Rickf1985

WOW! I don't feel so bad about the 400.00 for a set of air bags for the Jet Ride suspension that I have now.

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep.  The sales people are all kids that don't their butts from a hole in the ground, but the mechanics are old timers who've worked for Mor/Ryde from the beginning.

And Dan, its a HUGE job...requires jacking your rig up from the frame on both sides so you can drop the tag axle, and that's the easy way to do it!  I did it the hard way, one side at a time, with comealongs, huge C clamps, a lot of cussing, a lot of luck lining everything back up, a significant amount of lost blood and skin, and it took me over 12 hours.  In the dirt of our campsite, in the cold...lol!

Determination will always overcome.  When I told the Mor/Ryde mechanics how I did it, they laughed their butts off, and said THEY wouldn't want to tackle the jobs without shop tools and lifts.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Thankfully, the tag axle system only uses 4 of them, 2 per side.

Unless you mean each spring individually before bolting them together, in which case that would be 8.  Pricey!

Kev

ibdilbert01

Mine actually has a total of 8 sets, 4 sets per side, just like the configuration below.

Dad and I changed out one side today, took us a few hours, but Dads got a good set of tools.  I talked to two guys, Todd Obergfell and Rocky Sites, both of them went out of there way to research what I needed.   Very friendly, and shipped very fast.   Couldn't of asked for better service!
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

ClydesdaleKevin

I thought pretty highly of them myself, until they dissed me and ignored me on my broken spring boxes...which were obviously caused by them sending me the wrong springs in the first place. 

Kev