Visor MacGuyver (you know what I'm talking about)

Started by Stripe, July 12, 2013, 08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stripe

Yup, Visor MacGuyver..

Ok, so, this is what I Needed.. 
My visors on the G.S.A.G. Had long ago lost the little plastic (why did they use plastic ??? ??) clips that held the loose ends of the sun visors. 

I needed to rectify this and in a way that would last longer and be stronger than the original PLASTIC clips that came before. I needed the new clip replacement to be able to hold the weight of not only the visor but also that of the viewfinder of my E-Periscope. 

Here is what I did to solve the problem at hand.  I did this a few weeks ago while out on an excursion.
I took a hanger (of the wire variety) and cut myself two lengths of it each about 5-6 inches.

I then bent them in half.  Shaped a hook at the bent end and then made a T at the other end..

I made two of these.

After making the T I took the hook and placed it where the two screws I had placed in the holes for the old clip and bent the T ends around the screws. Then I tightened the screws down onto the new hook.

I left a bit of plastic that was leftover on this side as a sort of backing. I am pondering putting washers in place of the plastic bits.

Once I had the hooks secure, I then reinstalled the visors and cradled the end of them into the hook and bent the hooks a little more, just enough so that the ends had to be 'clicked' in and wouldn't bounce out.

The Finished Product..

The Visors both work very well now and don't bounce or jostle about at all.  I hope these last a bit longer than the plastic ones did.. ;)

Hope this comes in handy for anyone else...

Fredric
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

HandyDan

Great idea!  I might have to try that.  Thanks for sharing.
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

fleetmasterfred

Very creative!  You're are McGuyver without the mullet.   

Stripe

And I never WILL have one either!!    :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

And thanks, I'm glad this was useful..
Fredric,

W0WOP

Do you have any specs on the original?  Pics, dimensions, anything? 

Stripe

Sorry, no, they were both gone when I bought the Aluminum Goose.  Only half of the plastic bits were left.
Best guess is that the part was a little like a trough, the width of the plastic part is about an inch and I believe it was basically a halfpipe that the visor nestled into.
Fredric,

Stripe

So, I was looking over the chassis air vents and seeing what needed to be dealt with. I fixed one and will post pics and what needed fixing later.
To make a long story short and to get to the point, I found a vent vane in the glove compartment and decided to see if I could find the rest of the parts for the vent that is missing the dial and one other vane.
While perusing through the junk drawer, I discovered the plastic hooks from the visors that had broken off.. 
So, WOWOP, when  I get a chance, I will see what I can do about taking a photo of at least one of them and posting it up here.
Any preferences as to how I should take the pic?
Fredric,

ClydesdaleKevin

Ours were broken also when we bought our rig.  But shortly thereafter we found a couple of Holiday Ramblers at a junkyard in Florida...got 2 sets of visor clips, part of the factory roof rack, and window latches out of the donors.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

W0WOP

Well if ya got a ruler take a few snap shots to get some basic dimensions.  What I'll attempt to do is make a 3d model of it on the computer and then print it out on my 3d printer when I finish it later next month.   Kind of a project for the sake of why not type of thing.  See if I can get it to work.  A complete part would be cooler so that I know what to aim for.  Idk it was just a thought

Mike

Stripe

Okay, will do.. 
Been looking at 3D Printers myself for the near future.  This is the company I will most likely go with.  http://printrbot.com/
Fredric,

W0WOP

Sweet.  Right before summer break the department ordered 4 Makerbot Replicator 2s  I need to print a few parts yet for the one I'm building (larger print space than the makerbot) before I can print my own parts.

Mike

HandyDan

These are the clips in my 1984 HR.  They are still in great shape.  I could measure them and give dimensions tomorrow. 
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

W0WOP

W0WOP

I just did a quick mock up (not to scale) of a new clip design.  It made a few parts thicker that I believed would be the weakest points.  Here's the basic idea.  Once I get better dimensions, and the spacing between holes/screw size I can make a complete part rdy for printing.

W0WOP

Hey Dan,

How are those dimensions coming?

Mike

W0WOP

Or if clip is not available, Basically what I would need:

1 -  Distance between holes, center to center

2 - Size of hole

3 - Size of rod

4 - Distance from roof to center of rod

Think I can come up with something just using that.

Mike

HandyDan

Or if clip is not available, Basically what I would need:

1 -  Distance between holes, center to center    15/16"  Although they don't look predrilled.  Looks like someone just drilled them where ever.

2 - Size of hole      1/8"

3 - Size of rod       The slot where the rod inserts into is 1/4" wide.  It isn't tapered, just straight.

4 - Distance from roof to center of rod     1 1/2"     

Think I can come up with something just using that.

Mike
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

HandyDan

Sorry about taking so long.  When I initially went out to take measurements, I smashed my finger in the cabinet door.  I went in the house to put some ice on it and then forgot about what I was doing.  Everything is fine now.  I got all excited about going to Wisconsin for the week and let other things slip.  Hope this helps.  This clip looks like it was sawed off a railing or something.  It definitely was sawed off a longer stock piece.  I'm going to look in the catalog and see if I can find something similar for holding an awning or canvas.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

W0WOP

Ha Ha Ha Ha, it's no worries.

I've done my fair share of cussing to the point of forgetting what i was doing too...

Just wanted to make sure ya didn't totally forget, take your time.

Thx,

Mike

Stripe

Dan is right, the holes are not pre drilled.  Hope the fingers are better Dan!  I know in mine, I can take a screw just like the ones that held my clips in and just drill them into the roof.
Fredric,

HandyDan

1 -  Distance between holes, center to center    15/16"  Although they don't look predrilled.  Looks like someone just drilled them where ever.

2 - Size of hole      1/8"

3 - Size of rod       The slot where the rod inserts into is 1/4" wide.  It isn't tapered, just straight.

4 - Distance from roof to center of rod     1 1/2"     

I didn't know if you noticed the quote above so I reposted it here.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

W0WOP

W0WOP

Ok... Final Design what ya think?  Beefed it up a bit (maybe too much?) so it should not break again.  Well... Hopefully  :D

Mike

HandyDan

Looks beautiful!  I think it should work well.
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Stripe

Fredric,