What tire pressure do you run? 8R x 19.5

Started by HandyDan, October 16, 2010, 02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HandyDan

My 1984 Holiday Rambler Imperial is rated at 14,500lbs.  The tire shop put 50lbs of air in the tires and said that should be adequate.  The tires (which are DuraMax 8R x 19.5) are rated at 110lbs for 3500lbs.  Should I be running with more air that 50 lbs?
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

tiinytina

Check your rims!!!   Our Tiffin runs 19.5's (Goodyear) and the tires are rated 110 BUT... the rims say 90 Max... so I run 90 Max cold pressure. ... 

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

DaveVA78Chieftain

Tire pressure is a function of GVW.  Like Tina said, rim pressure (she also has a P30 chassis like yours) is a consideration as well as tire pressure.
Here is a link to a Goodyear Tire pressure chart:
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rv_inflation.pdf
[move][/move]

HandyDan

According to the chart, I should have at least 65lbs as a minimum.  Guess I'll be adding some air.  I would like to get it weighed sometime in the near future.  That would help determine the pressure.  I just thought 50lbs was a little light.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

tiinytina

Gone is 28' (aluminum frame)on a P30 chassis, almost full fuel, empty water/waste tanks, 4 dogs and left over supplies from weekend she weighed in at 13,800 and is rated to 15,100... on the truck scales a year ago....

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

bluebird

I run 80 psi in mine. I've found it don't make mine ride any ruffer, but I do get better fuel economy. It rolls much farther when i take my foot off the throttle too. If you don't run enough air the tire will heat up. I used to run as low air pressure as I could trying to help the ride. That was when I had my first MH, many years ago.

Mississippi Winne

My understanding is that a general rule of thumb to use is 65 for the rear and 70 for the front. 

Brian

ClydesdaleKevin

On our 89 Holiday Rambler Imperial 35 with a P30 chassis and aluminum frame, we run the tires at 100 psi, front and rear, but we carry a lot of weight.  The tires are Michelins.  We also have the trailing Mor-Ryde axle suspension, and those tires also get 100 psi.  Higher tire pressure=lower rolling resistance.  Lower rolling resistance=better gas mileage.  We also cover the tires when parked because to replace the Michelins is bloody expensive!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.