What makes an Winnie a classic?

Started by MSN Member, February 27, 2009, 08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 1/19/2004

Hi to  a neat group.........I'v a.basic, square 1 type question....what makes my  Minnie Winnie a "classic", I'd guess it is the year of manufacture.... this one is a nov. 1977.....thanks for your answers....patt

LJ-TJ

Hey Patt,

Welcome aboard. I asked this vary question some time a go and never really got a definitive answer so I'm going to throw this out. I'd say when you think of  a Winnebago the first thought that comes to mind is the Winne that has the "eyebrows" so I'd say a Winnebago that was built between 1966,the first year they were built and the last year of the "eyebrow" which I think was 1978. However I will bow to superior knowlage.      T.J.

MSN Member

in the automotive field i belive a classic is concidered anything over 20 years old .. i guess im not a classic then!

denisondc

A month or two ago there was a good thread on what a classic RV was. Some of the criteria were like these, but funnier: Its a classic if you cant get parts for it anymore and have to carry your own spares. Its a classic if you have had to get it towed home more than twice. It s a classic if you bought it with money you had in your wallet. Its a classic if your in-laws wont stay in it anymore when they come to visit. Its a classic if your mechanic is depending on your relationship to be able to send his kids to the University. The real definition of a classic is.............fil in the blank.......... denison.

MSN Member

I agree, definitely the eyebrows.

LJ-TJ

Sent: 1/20/2004

What was the last year they built the 'eyebrow' Winne ?

MSN Member

Thanks you-all on "classic" info...you made my day!     I'd gone thru the message boards and didn't come up with a clue.So where did I miss the previous discussion? and..so.......what's an eyebrow??! guess i'd better check out the photos//// My thoughts on the suject were: if  a smog test was no longer required..then.....? Here in Calif. that is a 30 year time frame......and yes, I"m sure I'm in the "classic" catagory ....more later,... Patt

MSN Member

Here in TX it's 25 years or older for emissions test exemption...only vehicle safety inspections are required for the classics. That would exempt all the GMC motorhomes since they stopped production in 1978...the Winnies, of course, continued.

John D.

MSN Member

Sent: 1/21/2004

It seems to me that there were both eyebrow and non eyebrow Winnies in '78
but no eyebrow Winnies in '79...

I wanna buy an eyebrow Winnie for my first, please please please won't someone here on this site sell me your Winnie!!! I promise to cherish it forever!!

Thanks, Scott       904 28 0-2616       scottusa420 (AT) yahoo DOT .com

denisondc

sntrekker;
The 'eyebrow' is the protruding aluminum section above the windshield. It was on all of the many winnies with the forward tilted windshields, and on a smaller number that had windshields tilted slighted back in the more common direction.
The design provides a welcome amount of shade for the driver too. denison

MSN Member

The Eye brows on my 76 chief are fiberglass , Don't know when they changed from aluminum - the lower sections of the frount end is still aluminum - The eye brows were from the Winnebago trailers . the early models (1966 ) look as if they mounted a trailer on a   Chassie and filled in the V hitch with aluminum on the bottom section leaving the V shape . It does appear they removed the eye brows after 1978 -- If your looking for one keep an eye on ebay there is a very nice 72 currently listed . --- Sea Hag

MSN Member

Scott, there is one for sale.  An awesome one as a matter of fact.  It belongs to Frank and Diane.  I believe its a 71, or 72.  26 footer.  email me and I will forward your email on to them.  have a great day

Lefty

Sent: 1/24/2004

Unfortunately here in Alabama, Abuse caused the tightening of Restrictions on using and receiving Antique plates a few years back. Now, vehicles must be 30 yrs. old,restored,belong to a classic automobile club, be used only for that purpose, and be either in route to or from an event or parade. Vehicles must be inspected and approved first, and you have to put regular plates on for pleasure trips. This is being enforced!! If you are caught in your vehicle tooling around on a nice little Sunday drive, you face revocation of your plates and a stiff fine.Total bummer!! They grew tired of every Tom, Dick, and Harry with an old rustbucket slapping Antique plates on pieces of junk that they never intended to restore,and getting out of paying tag fees for life. So now all the real enthusiasts out there are paying the price. Lefty
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Slantsixness

Sent: 1/3/2005

Ok, first let's define "Antique" "Classic" and "Just plain Junk"

If they don't make them anymore it's a "classic"
If they haven't made them in 25 years, it's an "Antique"
I they haven't made them in years and nobody wants one, its "just plain Junk"!

All in fun!

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

Lefty

Sent: 2/27/2006

Just an update on this subject,
Alabama just enacted a new policy for "Antique and Classic" vehicles...
To get a permenant license plate the vehicle must meet these requirements;
1: Be at least 30yrs. old (figured from original date of manufacture, not date first titled)
2: Be a registered member of a "antique or classic vehicle owners club"- (a copy of your Membership ID or credentials is required) I'm trying to check on this, to see if "Online Clubs" would qualify, the lady I talked to said that she felt they would, but she would check it out & call me back.
3: Vehicle must be inspected in person at the licensing division, must show that it is "In an Superior condition, compared to average vehicles it's age) This part has drawn a lot of heat because it doesn't specify exactly what constitutes "Superior" or "Average"... Lawmakers are saying that part likely couldn't be enforced.
4: Yearly milage checks- must not exceed 3,500 miles/year (Again, in person you got to go and have your mileage rcorded every year, if you exceed it, they could pull your plate)
5:Only valid for use to, and from, or during "Official Club Events"... such as to a rally,show,or jamboree, or back from it. You are supposed to carry documentation that you are in route to or from these, or you could get a ticket for improper tag.

Now I know the real reason why they've done this, theres a ton of old pieces of junk rolling around with "Antique" plates, and they want to try and return it to being used just for what it was originally intended, and that is "restored or classic" vehicles.
But a lot of people feel they went way too far, and have gotten too restrictive.
I'd really like to know what your state restrictions are, Post replys here.

Thanks, Lefty
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

MSN Member

This is what I pulled up from Texas DOT.  Interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks Lefty.

Antique Vehicle License Plate

Antique plates are issued for passenger cars, trucks, or motorcycles that are at least 25 years old and are a collector's item. The vehicle must be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades, or other functions of public interest. Vehicles displaying Antique license plates may not be used for regular transportation; however, the vehicle may be driven to and from a location for routine maintenance. The vehicle may not carry advertising.

Applications must be filed with the county tax assessor-collector. The specialty license plate fee for the five-year period is: vehicles manufactured in 1921 and subsequent years $50.30; vehicles manufactured in 1920 and prior years $40.30. These fees are prorated yearly. Of each specialty license plate fee collected, $.50 is sent to the county in which the owner resides.
Antique Vehicle License Plate

Cooneytoones

In Indiana this is what I found out..

Antique Plates
Eligibility: Vehicle must be 25 years old or older.
Additional Fees: None
May be used on: passenger cars, trucks up to 11,000 pounds, recreational vehicles, motorcycles.
How to obtain: Initial application must be presented to the license branch accompanied by an Affidavit for Inspection of an Antique Vehicle - State Form 37935. No verification required in subsequent years.

Timmy

Slantsixness

Sent: 2/28/2006

For Virginia,

Antique and Vintage License Plates

If you own a passenger vehicle, trailer, semi-trailer or motorcycle with a model year that is more than 25 model years old before January 1 of the current calendar year, you've got an antique! Depending on how you plan to use your vehicle, you may choose antique, vintage or any one of our standard license plates. Antique license plates are provided by DMV; vintage license plates are original Virginia license plates issued prior to 1976 that you provide. Antique vehicles must be insured with motor vehicle liability insurance or you must pay the uninsured motor vehicle fee.

Is your antique vehicle just for show??

If you plan to use your antique vehicle or trailer solely as a collector's item, you may register your vehicle with antique license plates or permanent vintage license plates.

(the above reprinted from and property of www.dmv.virginia.gov )

In Virginia, we can even use "Vintage" tags (old NOS black or white original tags, or the even older "yellow and black" tags similar to the sample above, which was used from around 1939-1952)

To apply,  use form VSA14, and choose antique and the subset black & white,yellow, or vintage.

Warning:
Even though other States do allow driving an antique vehicle with "seasonal" insurance, in VA, all registered (antique included) vehicles must be covered by insurance all year, or you have to pay the uninsured motorists fee (which cost about as much as the insurance would! $500.00) Not obtaining insurance, will result in suspension of your drivers pemit, and require proof of insurance (SR-22) for the next 3 years.

I don't have Antique or Vintage tags. The limit is 250 miles a year. I do that much in one  camping trip, and why would I want to pay insurance all year for a vehicle I can only legally drive 250miles in a clanedar year?

Tom 
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

denisondc

Also in Virginia: years ago the wording of the "Va. Code" said that an antique tagged vehicle was to be used "...only for parades, tours, exhibits, and special occasions, or to be driven to a facility for maintenance, and not to be operated as general transportation." They were also exempt from annual safety inspections.
I figured any sunny mild saturday was a 'special occasion'. Of course my 32 chev has 4 wheel (cable) brakes, electric headlamps and tail-lamp, and I never drove on rainy days. Back then the 'Va. code' didnt mention the 250 mile per year limit, and one year I put about 600 on it, all on nice mild weekends. The only time I was stopped was in July of 74 by a local deputy at 2 a.m, soon after leaving my house near Whites Ferry in Loudoun County. The policeman said he wanted to make sure it wasnt being stolen, then after we chatted, admitted he had nothing to do and just wanted to get close look at it. I told him I was driving to an Antique Chev. Club event in Bowling Green Ohio, over 500 miles away, and not only wanted to arrive there before dark, but to drive several hours before it got hot again. It was 103° in the shade when I got to Bowling Green.
The Va. Code also had a definition for "Farm Use" tags. They required a title and insurance, but no annual inspection, and allowed "use between sections of a farm not more than 11 miles apart, and for attending worship services on the sabbath."
There was even a paragraph in the Va. code entitled "Clamming", which definied the laws for vehicles used solely for the transportatnion of Clams!

I dont about today, but once upon a time, you could have antique tags on your vehicle, and also put a normal annual tag on it, if you wanted to use it without the restrictions. It would then need to have a current safety inspection.

MSN Member

Antique Vehicle License Plates are issued for a five year registration period expiring Dec. 31, 2009. To qualify for Antique Plates, motor vehicles, including motorcycles, must be more than 25 years old. Firefighting vehicles must be at least 20 years old.

Vehicles displaying these plates may only be driven to and from an antique auto show or exhibition, service station or demonstration. The mechanical and physical condition of the vehicle, including brakes, lights, glass and appearance, must be the same or as safe as originally equipped. An antique vehicle may be a "bona fide replica" - an exact copy of the original in design, frame and mechanical operation. "Facsimiles" - close, but not exact, reproductions of the original - do not qualify for Antique Vehicle plates.

Historical License Plates, representing the model year, may be displayed on an antique vehicle, provided the owner has valid, current Antique Vehicle Plates. Plates and registration must be kept in the vehicle at all times.

MSN Member

Sent: 3/25/2006

In PA a Classic is classified as a vehicle more than 15 years old and an an Antique is classified as a vehicle more than 25 years old.

There are restrictions on frequency of driving, etc...   

I prefer to go with a regular plate and registration so I can drive as often and frequently as I want....costs a few bucks more at the end of the year....but it's a heck of alot more fun.

More info is on the states site at www.dmv.state.pa.us

Oz

Sent: 3/25/2006

2 years ago, I tried to get classic plates for my rig in PA.  2 months earlier, they had taken away the classic designation for Motorhomes.  When I got the application, the only line that was both Boldfaced and underlined was the one that I didn't want to see and it read something like this:  "Except mothorhomes and mopeds"

So, I guess all those thousands of vintage moped owners(?) across the State were just as broken hearted as I was.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Cooneytoones

Sent: 3/26/2006

The Definition of CLASSIC is:

Contsant  Laboring And Saveing Spending Insane Collectable
or, if it makes you feel like this one day Faint

and other days, like this Spaz Then you have a CLASSIC.......

Timmy

Sonnys_Toy

Sent: 5/4/2008

Well here in Ohio, 20 years make a "Classic" and 25 years make a "Historic".  Rules are basically the same as other state..to/from parades, shows, events, repairs..etc.  But I found out when I got my "Historic" plate for my 1976 Rockwood 5th wheel trailer, after paying my fee of $36.50, I do not have to renew for 5o years..
BUT, everyday you see people driving cars/trucks all over the place, to & from work, weekend drives...I love seeing all those vehicles out and about...I do not think we should be restricted because we prefer these older vehicles, we take better care of them than owners of these new cheaply made vehicles.  Sonny Cress, Tallmadge, Ohio.

Dr. Dan

I say any motor home built on a Dodge chassis, specifically Class C's and Class A's, are classics. For the most part, 1980 was the last year for those, or thereabouts. Those built on the "Sprinter" (really a Mercedes) don't count.

I plan on keeping my Mopar Minnie Winnie for a long time.  :)

But not to exclude you Ford and Chevy fans out there: all or most Dodge RVs are classics, but not all classics are built on Dodges, much like all Winnebago F-17s are classics, but not all classics are F-17s.