How long does it take the refrigerator to get cold?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, December 11, 2008, 10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wendell

Sent: 6/4/2003 2:04 PM

How long does it take for the refrig. in an RV to get cold.  I'm new to this world and trying to find out what works and what doesn't on my '74 Winnie.  I've turned the refrig. on while connected to shore power, let it sit for 20 min. or so and checked the fins on the inside, they didn't seem very cold.  The inside of the freezer seemed to be cooling somewhat.  Went outside to check and the absorber tank seemed very warm which should be normal right?

I'm not sure if I left it running long enough etc. to get the system going good or if there may be something wrong.  Didn't want to leave it running too long if something was amiss.   

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sent: 6/4/2003 3:56 PM

It takes several hours for an absorbtion refrigerator to cool down.

Good luck
Dave
[move][/move]

Oz

Sent: 6/4/2003 5:17 PM

The only thing not to do is to leave it running very long if the RV is more that about 3 degrees off of level. That could be hard on the part of the innards that is getting heated but not getting any liquid moving past it inside. You don't have to worry about that if you are driving it - the movement of the RV on the highway will allow the fridge to work, even if it is on quite a tilt due to a crowned roadway. Starting on a hot day, ours takes at least half a day to cool down - at least a full 24 hours if we stocked it with food that wasnt already chilled. denison 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Oz

My original from '74 took about 6 - 8 hours (depending on the time of year and outside temp, as Dave pointed out).

My newer Dometic (1990s model) took only about 4 - 5 hours even on the hottest days.  I loved that fridge!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca