Speedometer Flutter

Started by The_Handier_Man1, December 01, 2008, 10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 3/23/2005 10:37 AM

When I purchased my 68 D22 in January and drove it home, one of the first things I noticed was after putting it in gear and stepping on the accelerator, the needle on the gauge bounces back and forth the full with of the gauge (just like my scale does when I step on it, wink) and then settles down to a smaller flutter - never holding at an exact speed but flucuating approximately 5 mph in both directions.

Does anybody know what causes this and can anyone point me in the right direction on how to fix it?  So I can add it to that short, short list of things that I need to work on.

Sent: 3/23/2005 10:47 AM

Jim,
corrosion of the speedometer flywheel (inside the guage), bad speedometer cable (libricate and make sure it's free inside, not sticking.) and lastly, the speedometer gear on the transmission can be worn out, loose or the screw in cable can be loose.

If, byt any chance you have cruise control, the cruise modulator connections (the big vacuum box) can also cause this.

It sounds like it's probably the speedometer. I may have an extra one to sell reasonably if you need it, I'm pretty sure it's the same as yours.

Just the smallest nick or kink in the cable can do this too.

Tom
(and, yes this weather needs to go away and bring in spring.... NOW!)

Sent: 3/23/2005 2:36 PM

I undid its screws and pulled my dash forward to work on the speedo.  With the cable disconnected from the speedo, I put a small drop of oil onto the junction of the speedo housing and the brass rotating part, and did it again an hour or two later. The speedo woul then turn more easily. 
    I pulled the speedo cable out of its sheath and cleaned the sticky old grease from it.  I undid the bottom end of the cable sheath at the tranny, and ran solvent down that sheath.  It ran out the bottom inky black at first.  After my rinse, I put a light coating of vasoline on the speedo cable, and some Marvel Mystery oil down into the sheath.   It has worked well for the last 14 years.   I think I will do it again this spring.  You guys are so valuable for reminding me to do my maintenance!
    Having a heat shield between the exhaust manifold and the speedo cable is also a good idea.   

Sent: 3/23/2005 8:21 PM

Let me start by saying that my problem was not quite as pronounced as yours.

OK.  When travelling at slow speeds, the needle would fluctuate a great deal.  When I got up to higher speeds, it smoothed out.

I pulled the cable from behind the speedometer and pulled it most of the way out.  I lubricated it with graphite (not of that wet stuff).  It no longer bounces around.

Sent: 3/25/2005 1:55 PM

Thanks Guys!

If and when this weather breaks and the ground dries out a little I will dig into this.   I know already that the cable that switches the fuel from the main tank to the auxillary is frozen ... and everything needs to be cleaned, oiled etc.   Wouldn't have thought of the drop-0-oil from behind though.

I will keep you posted on how I make out.

- Jim

Sent: 5/9/2005 3:01 PM

I wish mine would at least flutter but unfortuantely the cable is melted.  Has anyone had luck finding a replacement?  The teenager at the autopart store said that he didn't have a listing for it and the Dodge dealer said there was no way to look it up.
-kp

Sent: 7/12/2005 3:19 PM

We have the same problem with the bouncing but then it evens out when going higher speeds.  Hubby took it all apart and put it back together but it still doesn't work I think I will get him to lubricate it.  Our trip meter and odometer don't work either.

Sent: 7/13/2005 11:25 PM

Somewhere or other, there was another post concerning this.  And, my answer was the same.

The Whiny Beggar had the same problem.  I pulled the connection off the back of the speedometer, pulled the cable out, used graphite (and not the wet stuff) on it, and slid it back in.  Hooked it up, and problem solved.

As for the odometer, I thought that and the speedomoter worked together--but, then I'm not a mechanic.

Sent: 7/14/2005 9:23 PM

I would think a speedo cable would not be a difficult part to make, and if enough of us keep asking for such a part, at a NAPA dealer for instance, that eventually some job-shop will make up a few dozen of them. I got a new inner cable for mine, in the event the old one breaks, but I havent yet found a source for the whole thing, inner cable and outer housing: Not that I ask all that often. I think i will start asking again at the antique car shows. Someone will eventually tell me who the custom cable makers are.
The odometer works together with the speedometer, until the gears inside the speedo wear out. Then if you cant find a new one, there are businesses that rebuild speedos for the antique car community. Not cheap though.

Sent: 7/15/2005 9:21 PM

Just a possibility for having the cables, inner cable and outer housing, made.  Custom motorcycle shops make them for stretched, custom frames.  - Sob