All new LEDs in the Chieftain

Started by JerryP, February 07, 2015, 08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryP

Among the many things I finished on the Chieftain this weekend was to get all the interior lights changed to LED, thanks to Amazon, and Ebay, the cost for them all was  under 25 bucks

Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

M & J

M & J

JerryP

Jerry P
A work in progress

DRMousseau

Just updated the two interior ceiling lights of the '73 D20. These low-profile, flush-mounted LEDs help preserve the simplicity of the interior, while providing plenty of light even at low voltages!!! They are not as warm as those I replaced, but certainly an improvement over the 40-year-old originals!!!

A smaller version will replace those over the table and sink area's.
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

tommo

Looks good how did you size them up?
Thx Tom

JerryP

Replaced the upper marker, and the side markers with LEDs today, , still have a couple more, next to the headlights.
Big Difference

Jerry P
A work in progress

Rickf1985

Looks good, is the on on the far left not done yet? This was just a bulb replacement wasn't it?

JerryP

Yes on the one of the left, I wanted to compare.
Simple bulb replacement, T-10 is what I believe they are called. Bought them on Amazon 10 for 8 bucks & change
Extremely hard to get the old bulbs out, had to break 4 of the bulbs, and scrape them out. pretty quick, I just hate to break bulbs to get them out
Jerry P
A work in progress

DRMousseau

The LED "replacement" of that ugly one over the table.
(WoW! The original mounting holes REALLY show up in flash photo!!! Hardly noticed em otherwise!)

There's another over the sink. Both are "touch" sensitive for off/dim/bright.
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

DRMousseau

I'd REALLY would like LED's in all exterior lights, but I'm hesitant in choosing simple bulb replacement.

I like the classic markers, clearance, turn signals and tail lights, but one of the big issues with these is the bulb socket!!! A simple LED bulb replacement doesn't address this issue. But there are no "retro upgrades" that look original. I'm seriously considering modifying OEM replacements or even the originals with a permanent, good quality LED array.
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

TerryH

Long time member here (below). May be to your advantage to talk to Rick.

http://www.dupreeproducts.com/
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

NottooldNottoyoung

Looking good. LED's are the way to go!

lemortede

So I found led 1156 replacements on amazon, 10 for $20.
This seemed like a great deal when just 2 1156 bulbs are $5.
It takes 10 of these leds to use the same power of 1 1156.
Love the light. Also found all new marker led lights for $15. They have dropped in price alot.

tmsnyder

LEDs on ebay are down to $1 a piece in 20 packs.  1156 replacements with a warm color light, not bright white although they have those too for the same price.

I swapped out all 21 interior bulbs and replaced all the yellow, cracked, heat destroyed lenses for less than $50 total. 

Was thinking about replacing the entire thing with complete light kits but they were about $15-25 apiece x 14 was more than I wanted to spend.

CapnDirk

I replaced the original bulbs in mine with LED but I'm not happy with the amount of light they put out.  Did you replace the whole light fixture?  You pics look really good, and you seem to have much more light than I do.

We all know they are 1156 but can you get a brighter LED bulb equivalent to the 1156?
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

JerryP

I only replaced the bulb, left the original fixture,
I used 2 LED in the main fixtures
Also looked for "whiter" LEDS.
How many LEDs per square, or Disc did you use
Jerry P
A work in progress

turbinebronze

I changed all the lights in my MH to LED's and found a few things to watch for.  The color is important. A bright white will look like a welder running, a soft white will look like an "normal" light.  Also, check the lumens the original bulb put out, and at least install an LED of the same amount, if not more.
  It seems that an LED light used in an interior lamp does not carry as far as a incandescent bulb. The light at say, floor level (in the camper) seems to be less than the bulb it replaced. (It could be just me...)
  Just my 2 cents, Craig 

EldoradoBill

I originally replaced my incandescent bulbs with LEDs (around 3000K warmth for my taste) but soon discovered that they got hot. Real hot. So I bought some dedicated LED fixtures with bulbs and all's been well ever since. 5 doubles and 5 singles ran me $120 total.

CapnDirk

Quote from: JerryP on November 15, 2016, 12:50 AM

I only replaced the bulb, left the original fixture,
I used 2 LED in the main fixtures
Also looked for "whiter" LEDS.
How many LEDs per square, or Disc did you use

That's what I did to, replacement round led with a standard bulb base to replace an 1156  My fixtures were the double one of your picture above (the one under the cabinet).  I'll check the lumens on an 1156 and compare to what I bought.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

Rickf1985

What a lot of people do not realize is that a LED is NOT a light bulb. It is a diode, an electronic component to limit the flow of electricity to one direction. These just happen to emit light when in use. When that was realized then the engineers saw potential to use them for other uses, mainly in TV's and computers. Then advances in optics made the LEDs small light emission usable because it amplified the light. All said, they are still not a light bulb and since they work by resisting the flow of electricity to on direction they will get hot. Regardless of what the "marketing" people want you to believe. W% W% W%

CapnDirk

tmsnyder

I swapped out my interior fixture lamps with 1156 LED replacements.  They are not as bright as the incandescent bulbs they replaced, they put out about 1/2 the light from the look of them, but they use 1/17 the amps 0.083A vs 1.41A so I could actually turn on almost all 21 interior led lights and use the same power as just one incandescent.  The fixtures and LEDs themselves are cool to the touch, no heat problems here.