Re: 440-3 Cracked cylinder head replacement

Started by LJ-TJ, May 28, 2012, 02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Thanks Frank, called around a few guys tonight and came up with about the same answer and that's, that the valve might be open or closed what ever and I may be trying to open or close it by tightening the bolt. Ssssso I'll let it ride till tomorrow and go see the boys at the machine shop. Thanks for the help.

LJ-TJ

WELL! She fired tonight. Let her idle for about twenty to forty minutes and the oil pressure seemed good and the water temp seem to hold. Change out the oil and filter while she was hot and put fresh in. Going to take her out for a run tomorrow and see how she does. What can I say. I would have never attempted this project with out your prodding and guidance. Thanks Boys. Oh! I got  $910.00 in the project. That's everything from the gasket kit, to two reconditioned heads,plus a rebuilt water pump, to the dodge blue spray paint.  :)clap

ClydesdaleKevin

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

burt6666

Elandan2

We all knew you had it in you!!  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

DaveVA78Chieftain

I seem to recall a post by a little lady who would not let you give up!  :)  Seems she had a hand in this.

Let us know how it works out.

Dave
[move][/move]

tiinytina

yipeee!!!! Thanks LJ for cracking the whip on the boy! Jam.. time is here! (I mean the Blueberry kind...LOL) need to start cranking on that... as well....  :laugh:
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

LJ-TJ

i?? Ok you rocket scientists how in the  $@!#@! do you set the timing on one of these things and I don't mean set the timing I mean get in up under the front tire and around the belts to get a timing light in there and see the timing marks on the timing cover not to mention reach the distributor. Hm?

LJ-TJ

Well she ran for a while any way. She's hard to start and has developed some kind a rattle. Maybe a bad push rod or valve or tapit...who knows. @#%8 it.

LJ-TJ

Looks pretty. Make a great boat anchor

Elandan2

Since the PO had changed the transmission many years ago, I too had lost the timing marks on the torque convertor and had to find a solution to timing the engine.  I manually moved the crankshaft with a socket on the front bolt and set the timing to 8º BTDC and then went underneath and painted a line on the harmonic balancer and oil pan.  I then use that line to check the timing.  It requires two people, or else a lot of patience to set the timing! (and a garage creeper helps too!!)  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Elandan2

The engine does look good!!  As far as the rattle, I think you'll have to be more specific.  Is it coming from one side or the other, or does it sound like it's coming from underneath?  Does it rattle at idle or under load?  If you can isolate the location, the repair may be much easier.  You're correct, it could be a pushrod or a collapsed lifter.  A good diagnostic tool is a stethescope or a short length of garden hose.  put the stethescope or hose against different areas of the engine and listen with the other end of the hose to isolate the problem area.  Then you can open it up and see what you've got.   Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

DaveVA78Chieftain

Timing:  I unbolt the radiator overflow tank and move it forward.  I can then see the timing marks with a timing light.  I move the distributor in small steps (vacuume advance discnnected) until I get it set correctly.

Noise: Use automotive stethescope as previously suggested to locate problem area.  Then dig in.   Yes I know very frustrating.

Dave
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

You guys never cease to amaze me. We'll see. Thanks Hm?

ibdilbert01

You could get it close by ear.  Start advancing it till it smooths way out (She'll be close to top dead center), then retard it a bit till she start to rough and you'll be close.    This is how I timed my 340 as I have no marks either.     
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteWell she ran for a while any way. She's hard to start and has developed some kind a rattle. Maybe a bad push rod or valve or tapit...who knows. @#%8 it.

I do not recall hearing what the issue was.  I have the impression from other threads that you got it fixed?

Dave
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Dave thanks to you I finally got to adjust the timing. You were right I had to get up under the wheel well on the passenger's side and take the rad over flow bottle off and swing it out of the way but it gives you excellent access to the timing marks on the harmonic balancer and the timing plate. Starts like a dream now. Needs a smidge tweeking. I haven't herd the rattle that sounded like a tappet or rocker but I plan on driving her around home for a bit. 

DaveVA78Chieftain

Kool, glad to hear it was something simple. 

Dave
[move][/move]

Oz

I'm marking this topic as solved!   :)clap
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

LJ-TJ

LJ-TJ

:)ThmbUp Well  schools in and the Mechanics 101, 440 Head Gasket replacement is a success. Back flips,cart wheels,jump up and down it worked. With the biggest job I've ever taken on and it has been a complete success. How do I know? Lauren and I just returned from a 1000 mile trip trouble free. Can someone with NO experience change the head gaskets in a 1975 21foot 440 Winnebago? ??? ? YES. I redid both heads at a cost of $800.00 dollars. Now it couldn't have been done without the guidance of Frank and Jay D and Tim and the rest of the gang and there encouragement. You guys will never know how much I appreciated your help and encouragement.

DonD

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.