1976 Dodge 440-3 M400 Belt Configuration

Started by Winnebago, July 12, 2015, 02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winnebago

On Friday the idler pulley severed off the mount and ripped apart the belt while I was driving. Now that I have to replace the belt (and repair the transmission cooling line that was punctured), I need help in putting the right belt back on the engine. It appears that the belt that was destroyed went around the crank pulley, air conditioning, and idler pulley. However, when I look at manuals, etc. it doesn't show this configuration. My concern is that the existing arrangement only leaves one belt on the fan pulley. Other drawings seem to suggest that two belts should go around the fan pulley (see my "proposed" drawing). Does anyone have any recommendations? Does the current setup look right? Do I even need the third belt if the ac isn't working anyway? Should I change it? Should I get two belts that pull the fan? Thanks for any feedback!

Here is the key to my drawing:
1976 Dodge 440-3, M400 with air conditioner (a/c doesn't work)
A: Alternator (one groove pulley)
B: Idler (the previous idler pulley had one groove, new pulley from carquest has two grooves)
C: Air conditioner (I think! Two groove pulley)
D: Power steering (one groove)
E: Fan pulley (water pump, right?) (two groove pulley)
F: Drive pulley (three groove)

PwrWgnWalt

I don't have A/C on my '79, but just replaced my water pump and fan clutch, and the belts and hoses. Your proposed drawing properly shows how my belts are installed for alternator and power steering pump.  I do have an unused groove (most forward of the three grooves) on my crankshaft pulley. 
On mine, the alternator belt is the rearmost groove (crank, and water pump/fan); and the power steering the next groove forward- just like the Service Manual shows.  My water pump pulley only has two grooves, so that's all it can accept.  Incidentally, any drawings I can find in the service manual do not show any A/C belts, but all the aforementioned belt positions also apply to the 360 engine.
So unfortunately, I cannot provide confirmation on the A/C belt routing, but your proposed diagram seems to make good sense.  If the A/C doesn't work, unless you are planning to fix it I would leave the belt off.
Walt & Tina

Winnebago

Thanks for the response! So, looking at my "current" diagram (which does not show the third belt that ripped off) does it seem wrong that the second belt loops around the ac instead of the second groove on the fan?

PwrWgnWalt

Don't know... how do the pulleys line up?

My guess (just a guess) is the way the A/C compressor is mounted would dictate how the belts run, in accordance with how the belts align.  Hopefully, someone with A/C can chime in.  Sorry I can't help any more than that...
Walt & Tina

DaveVA78Chieftain

Not sure if this will help but here is one configuration that was used for AC:

Dodge P/N    Gates P/N 
  4031485      7355  3/8" x 36 1/8"
  4106203      7419  3/8" x 42"
  4106214  (2 Reqd)      7575  3/8" 57 1/2" (matched set)

[move][/move]

Jallen

I need help how many belts on a 78 brave 440 one snapped off need pics no idea what I'm doing

Oz

It's a 440. It's the same as the diagram above.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Jallen

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Jallen

My alternator belt tore off how do I  remove other belts to get it back on

Jallen

Jallen

Jallen

Mlw

I don't have a 440 but a 360 but can help you by the photo placed earlier.

You need to loosen the lower bolt that is on the power steering pump brackets. the bracket changes shape and the belt of the power steering looses tension so you can remove it from the power steering pulley. If this is difficult you can also loosen the other bolts so you have more play. Once you have the belt from the power steering pulley You don't need to remove it from the crankshaft pulley and you don't need to remove the waterpump belt. This can stay.

Then you have room to place a new alternator belt. you loosen the bolt on the "banana shaped" bracket and if you have the AC compressor as seen in the picture, this belt will relax to.

As the Alternator belt is one of the two larger belts, you now can pull these belts over the other ones. and place it. after that place the powersteering belt back tighten the bolts that keep the powersteering pump in place when you loosened them. then push on the top of the powersteering housing with some force and re-tighten the lower bolt. Re-tightening will be clockwise so once the bolt tightens the bracket will move somewhat with it and thighten the powersteering belt. I a very simple but quite clever system.

Now as for re-tighten the alternator and compressor belt I followed the advise of this guy, and found it to be the easiest way to do this.

How to put enough tension on your alternator belt

Hope this helps  :)ThmbUp

Jallen

Think my routing wrong to start this is sooo hard

Jallen

I have to belts on the outside of crankshaft pulley how d I get this one inside those

Mlw

OK, in the picture you see that there are even 4 belts, the alternator and AC belt, (because of the force needed to drive them, the waterpump belt and the powersteering belt.

Now, the powersteering is  the V shaped black bracket with the bottle in it. This is your powersteering fluid and the powersteering pump.

Compare your setup with the one in the picture. Is it the same then follow the steps I've given. If not, then you need to make pictures of your setup so I can look into it.

Jallen

Mlw

Hi Jallen,

Sorry for my late reply, I had to go to work and normally i would have had time to react, but now it was crazy busy.

I unfortunately can't send you any pictures because I have a different RV (C class) than you have (A class) , with a 360 instead of a 440, so it would not have been usefull to you. You just have bad luck that it's summer now, and it is dead quiet on the forum. My questions aren't answered as well, that's why i try to help you.

So if you didn't figure it out already, you really need to make pictures of your belt setup. the pictures Dave gave you and I've used are from an unistalled engine, but the steps you have to make are not different on an installed engine. but you will need to address the fan.

First look if you can put the alternator belt over the fan but you should. You can also remove the fan, it's installed with 4 bolts you have to remove and you can get the fan out. you have more room to work, but be carefull not to damage your radiator.

If you still can't do it, I really need pictures of your belt setup and engine bay area to help you any further.

Jallen

Ty soooo much all k here's the deal I let someone  who said knew what he was doing help  me ooks like he rearranged everything goin out now to get  pics waiting on phone charge

Jallen

Ok got belts on ty everyone for your help!

Jallen

Please I need help how do I ask for spark plug wires for 1978 brave 440 7.2 I got wrong one help please

Mlw

https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=store;sa=view;id=167

With the partnumbers a autoshop should be able to give you the right ones.

or go to Rock auto. I got all the parts for the engine from there and the only mistake they've made is a belt.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,1979,cb300,7.2l+440cid+v8,1078354

Now the year says 1979, but that's just because there's no 440 category at 1978