Changing of the belts, or Bloody Knuckle dance!

Started by FastGlassman69, January 01, 2015, 06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

circleD

I've removed all the 80's stuff that's not needed anymore and cleaned the drive train the best I can to cut back on tools and time  needed for repairs. I also noted what tools I used on what projects so I carry the minimum amount. If I can't work on it then I'll call the tow truck.

JerryP

1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16 spark plug sockets, and wrenches. a few screwdrivers, pliers, wire cutter, electric tape, duct tape, and a knife usually can do most of what you need.
With GM sometimes a few torx bits.
Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

Rickf1985

With GM you will need a set of metric tools also. I know the SAE are close but sometimes close doesn't cut it on a tight rusty bolt. SAE also does not match up to 10, 12, 15, 16, or 18mm and 3/8, 3/4, 7/8 do not have a match in metric.

MotorPro

Quote from: JerryP on March 23, 2015, 10:32 PM

1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16 spark plug sockets, and wrenches. a few screwdrivers, pliers, wire cutter, electric tape, duct tape, and a knife usually can do most of what you need.
With GM sometimes a few torx bits.
hope you don't have any suspension problems or break a rocker arm . You will need a lot bigger then those

legomybago

Our 86' P30 454 uses a 13mm & 15mm wrenches for the power steering pump..Those are the only two metric I pack in the box. Maybe I have a 10mm W%
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

JerryP

What is that about. When pulling out the smog stuff, I noticed I need a 10mm wrench.
I thought it was me, and my wrenches that were the problem. But I was using 40 year old craftsman wrenches, and then I thought maybe it was to make it harder to take the stuff off.
Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

circleD

I brought up the tool list as an idea to keep from packing so much. Even though this has been very informative and I've added a few sockets to my set thanks to this. Maybe there needs to be a quick tool reference made i?? I know the service manuals have them in there but just a thought. Like I said earlier, I try to keep a list of tools used on each part so I can gather my tools before crawling underneath.

Rickf1985

You can buy prepackaged tool sets from Craftsman among others that have the box and everything that includes the SAE and metric tools. All in one manageable box. Usually includes screwdrivers and some allen wrenches depending on how far you want to go. I think that is just so much easier than trying to guess what you need and then find out there is one odd bolt that you do not have the wrench for.