Breaker box gets HOT

Started by moonlitcoyote, July 06, 2012, 10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonlitcoyote

I dont know what the right name for it is, but the box with the breakers and fuses in it gets pretty hot on the outside. Its not hot enough to burn you but I was wondering if it's normal. I wouldnt want my floor to catch fire from the constant heat on it.... It is a Magnatex model 6345

Froggy1936

Hi MJ  My old one threw off a lot of heat (it was mounted right below where i sit ) The replacement also throws a lot of heat and it also has a fan to cool it . the more things you have turned on the more heat they produce . As long as you can touch it without getting burned means that it wont start a fire.  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

moonlitcoyote

Quote from: Froggy1936 on July 06, 2012, 10:29 PM
As long as you can touch it without getting burned means that it wont start a fire.  Frank

Thank you, That eases my mind. I can hear "a" fan running in it, just wasnt sure if it was supposed to be cooler than that.

DaveVA78Chieftain

The Magnetek 6345 was used in a lot of rigs in the 80 and early 90's.   Magnetek is now known as Parrallax Power.  These converters are a linear style converte charger and have been known to boil batteries dry.  Keep a monthly eye on coach battery water when always connected as in your case.

6345 Operators Manual: http://www.parallaxpower.com/6300/OwnerOperatorManual6300Series.pdf

6345 Technical resource page: http://www.parallaxpower.com/linear.htm

There is fan inside that cycles on and off based on a temperature sensor in the converter section.  It has been known to fail.  Parrallax does not carry the fan but can refer you to a replacement source however it is something like $125.  If the fan has failed, all you need to do is buy a radio shack 110VAC muffin to replace it with.  I have seen pictures of the floor under the unit become discolored from the heat generated by this type of converter.  There must be adequate venilation to prevent overheating.

Because of the battery boiling issue, many people replace the original 6345 linear converter/charger section with newer style 3 stage converter.   The Parrallax 7345 upgrade kit is not a 3 stage charger.  The Progressive Dynamics PD4645 upgrade kit is (charges battery correctly).

Dave
[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

Thank you for the links.

I will have hubby check the water in the batteries tomorrow and I will keep an ear on the fan to be sure it doesnt fail. I dont know what a "muffin" is unless its blueberry or even banana but if it does fail I will look you up. :) ... MJ

DaveVA78Chieftain

:)rotflmao

Bribery will get you everywhere!  I prefer chocolate or blueberry.

muffin fan - AKA computer fan
Dave
[move][/move]