1976 23' Chieftain: Tire load range D or E?

Started by bitbyter, May 12, 2012, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitbyter

I am having to look for some tires for my MH.  I found a set of 6 r8 x 17.5 but they are load range D, 8 ply and the ones on my rig right now are load range E, 10 ply.  My question is what did they come with?  Will the d's work on it?

Thanks

Eric
Learn something new every day, otherwise it's the ssdd, why even get out of bed.

Oz

Load range D, 8 ply.  Both D and E are good, D is more common and thousands of our classic RVs run on this size and load range.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

bitbyter

just wanting to make sure....i can get a really great deal on the tires and they look brand new, but were d's.  I was worried when i saw the e's on rig.  well i guess I am headed out to go get me some tires.

thanks

Eric
Learn something new every day, otherwise it's the ssdd, why even get out of bed.

moonlitcoyote

You should check with whatever shop you are going to have put them on, unless your doing it yourself. Here in Maine they wont mix d and e rating tires. I had D's on my winny which are very difficult to buy now so I was going to put a couple E's on at a time, but it is against state regulations here to mix load ranges.

Lefty

look on the tire sidewall and see what the max load capacity per tire is at max inflation pressure. for the rear duals, use the figure for duals on the tire... Add it up,and compare with the max weight rating of your rig (The GVRW Rating).. If the tires capacity is greater than the GVWR, then you should be ok... if it is less, or very close to being the same, then you may wish to go with the higher load range tires. I prefer at least a 1,000lb or greater margin for safety reasons myself, as I don't like running tires at their maximum weight capacity.

Ex:  tires say "max load capacity 2,350lbs@80psi single/1,950lbs@80psi dual" then front tires would total 4,700lbs (2,350 X 2)and rear tires would total 7,800lbs (1,950 X 4) for a weight capacity of 12,500lbs 
As long as your front axle weight rating is under 4,700lbs (Front GAWR) and your rear axle is under 7,800lbs (Rear GAWR) and your GVWR is 12,500lbs or less... then the tires would be suitable. But, as I said I feel safer if the tires capacities exceed the GVWR by at least 1,000lbs or more. The ones currently on my rig are ratedto carry 2,800lbs more than my rigs GVWR in total... 1,600lbs extra capacity in the rear and 1,200lbs extra in the front over each axles GAWR
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...