1970s winnebago construction

Started by shaneperch, March 28, 2013, 05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaneperch

I am wondering how is a 1970s winnebago is constructed.  Is it metal framed or wood framed. I know they have a laminated wall,, but are they framed with tubular steel like a bus?  thanks Michael

Oz

The bulk of the framing is wood.  Steel tubing only came in as a safety requirement.  There was only one steel floor-to-ceiling-to-wall-to-floor brace behind the cab in 1969, then around 71-72(?) there were 2.  By 1974, there were 3... spaced behind cab, behind kitchenette, before bedroom (for the typical rear bed models).  After that, I'm not sure if more were required.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

shaneperch

How is the Elandon framed?   are they wood framed as  well?  or tubular steel? 

ibdilbert01

"There was only one steel floor-to-ceiling-to-wall-to-floor brace behind the cab in 1969, then around 71-72(?) there were 2."

Mark, my 72 didn't have the steel tubing brace.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

shaneperch

I am looking at  1982 pace Arrow  and a 1977 Coachmen class a  It looks like 29 feet.  how are those constructed. I want to get one or the other.  the Coachmen is at a price I can afford as well as the pace arrow,,, but the pace arrow is farther away.  please help me   thanks agian

Oz

The Coachmen would be like the Winnebagos of the era - aluminum thermopanel exterior walls with mostly wood stud framing.

winnebagoguy

On the 1972 D-22 Indian, where the walls meet the roof.  What's there to anchor an awning to. Thanks Doug
Doug Flint

Oz

There is a wood rail which runs along the length and width.  Its basically like a house frame.  A very good reference for the construction of the coach of the eyebrow winnebagos is the coach manual available in the club store.  A very good manual that covers a lot.

Froggy1936

I dont know when they changed but my 1977 Mini Winnie is all steel framed !
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

winnebagoguy

Thanks for the info guys.  It would be to easy to buy a book with the answer but that's just what I am going to do. Thanks winnebagoguy.
Doug Flint