What's the BLINK switch for?

Started by class87, December 01, 2008, 05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

class87

Sent: 8/31/2007 8:45 PM

Hi everyone, can you tell me what the "BLINK" on-off switch does? It's in the dash of my '77 Dodge Itasca.  I haven't been able to find any mention of it in my paperwork.

Thanks,
pinballlarry in San Diego, 103 degrees today

Sent: 8/31/2007 9:22 PM

Have you tryed it , It might have something to do with your 4 way flashers.

Sent: 8/31/2007 9:22 PM

Not sure, since mine doesn't have that, but I have seen similar switches used in big rigs. They are used to "Blink" the rearear clearance lights after passing a vehicle. Kind of a truckers way of saying "Thanks for letting me in".

Sent: 8/31/2007 9:27 PM

It doesn't do anything for the 4 way flashers, those are activated by the pull out switch on the steering column. I'll have to check the possible function with the clearance lights. Nothing is obvious when I turn it on or off, but of course I've only tried it during the day and never looked outside.....
pinballlarry

Sent: 8/31/2007 9:34 PM

I would cheek to see if it blinks your running lights. Its may be used to flash other drivers a thank you or its safe comeover. Try it with the lights on and off, it could be wired to do the opposite of the current state of the lights. 

Sent: 8/31/2007 11:43 PM

Ivan & Ray have it right.  Usually found as optional equipment on commercial vehicles, that switch should blink only your rear running lights.  Probably a three position switch (Momentary left, off center, Momentary right) wired to blink on (power lights) when they're off and blink off (interrupt power to lights) when they're on.

Among professional drivers,  when a vehicle ahead wants to change lanes, he puts on his turn signal and watches the headlights of the next vehicle behind him in the lane he wants; 
If that driver blinks his Headlights Off & back On - It's OK for the lead vehicle to change lanes: 
If that driver flashes his Headlights from Dim to Bright & back to Dim - It Is NOT all right to change lanes - He may be overtaking you too fast to let you in or there may be another vehicle in your blind spot!
Once you've been given the Go Ahead and have safely changed lanes,  common practice is to blink your running lights once or twice, (if you're lucky enough to have a "Blink" switch) or Pop your 4-ways on for a couple of cycles, or turn the opposite turn signal on for a couple flashes to say thanks.

A word of caution here -- Folks in four wheelers just trying to be friendly often flash their brights (Either unwilling to kill their head lamps even for a split second at highway speed or not realizing that they're giving the wrong signal) and then get frustrated when the big rig does nothing or goes well beyond them before pulling in / changing lanes.  He's just "going-by-the-rules."  For Safety's sake, fear of being misunderstood, most pros won't signal a four wheeler either way, but whether out of Pity or Courtesy,  (Dunno which)  I find most will respond to a Motor Home using the correct signals. 

Sorry that was so long - hope it helps - DanD

Sent: 9/1/2007 12:19 PM

The BLINK switch is spring loaded to "ON", momentary to "OFF". After turning on the lights and using a stick to hold the switch to the OFF position, I have determined that the upper roof clearance lights, both front and rear, are on when the switch is in the normal ON position and go off when the switch is pushed to OFF.  Seems pretty simple now.
pinballlarry

Sent: 9/15/2007 1:00 AM

This switch is better known to us truck drivers as a marker interupt switch.

In the freightliner I drive while working its labled as (mrkr int) on the dash on my semi.

Pretty cool an old coach has one in it I think.