1972 Dodge Travco 413, where do I begin?

Started by JimVol, July 05, 2011, 12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimVol

Last year my FIL traded a Para Ordinance 1911 for a 1972-74 Travco.  The MH was/is complete.  He has been stripping the interior to rebuild it.  The MH didn't run, he didn't try, so I get to start from scratch. 

The good news is that everything seems to be there.  The old MH even has the original generator. 

My question is, where do I begin?

Here are my thoughts for getting it running,

1) Drain and clean the gas tank
2) Blow out the gas lines
3) rebuild the carb
4) drain and flush the cooling system, replace hoses and thermostat
5) replace the batteries
6) Replace the points and the condenser, plugs and wires.
7) replace the belts,
8) add new fuel.

Try to start the motor?

What about brakes on this old Dodge Chassis?  Is is basic brakes? (I.E.  if I can change brakes on a 79 f-100 and I good?)

Also He says that the two piece wheels MUST be replaced.  Is this true?

Thanks,  we have a huge project ahead of us.  But the Roof Top AC works! LOL
It's kind of fun to do the impossible -  Walt Disney

LJ-TJ

Well! First thing I'd do is change the oil and filter. Second thing I'd do is check the rad for fluid and top it up if required. Third thing I'd do disconnect the fuel line that runs between the fuel tank and fuel pump AT the fuel pump. Get a new piece of fuel line and connect it at the fuel pump and put the other end in a gas can with fresh fuel. Put in and well charged or new battery. Get a paint cap full of fuel and pour a bit down the carb  and hit the starter and see what happens. Should....might start. Tickity Boo there ya go, Bob's your uncle. After that you can replace parts as required or disired. :)ThmbUp

DaveVA78Chieftain

First step is go to the store here and purchase the Service Manual/Parts Manual pdf combo because it will save you a whole lot of headaches.  Best approach to parts searches is get the Dodge P/N then use aftermarket cross-ref features.
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=store;cat=42

The routine you described is good but TJ's quick approach is also ok.  Some of that you will still want to do if the engine runs good to start with.

You need to locate the Dodge VIN number so that you know what kind of system you have.  One clue is do you have 16" or 17" rims.  16"=M300, 17"=M375.  Still you need the VIN number
Dodge VIN looks simular to M49CR2T123456.  Once you have that use the Dodge VIN decode link at the top right of this web page.
NOt unusual for a mfg to build current years rig (i.e. 1972) on previous years chassis (i.e. 1971).  States may have used Dodge VIN for titleing or  the TRAVCO VIN.  No real VIN standard in that era.  VIN standardization did not happen until early 80's.

The 2 piece rims, normally reffered to as split rims (with tubes), can be kept but understand many tire places will no longer work on them.  It is a safety hazard in that the retaining rim can blow off when mounting a tire.  Use the site search feature for replacement possibilities.

Winnebago used identified their different models as Brave, Indian, Chief, etc.
TRAVCO used 220, 270, and 290 (yes that does relate to length).  Which one do you have (or is that which one does the FIL have?)?

Brakes are not hard to work on but they are different from a Ford F-100.  You are dealing with a medium duty truck chassis 1 to 1 1/2 ton.  The Service manual will answer 98% of your how to brake questions.  The biggest hurtle is determining exactly which system you have.   During the 69-73 era Dodge had early and late versions for each of the 2 chassis types (M300 / M375)
Most of the info in this link is from the service manual but there is additional information.  What I tried to do was help corrolate the different configurations to the applicable features.
http://dave78chieftain.zxq.net/DodgeRBrake.html

Dave
[move][/move]

Oz

Very good advice all around!  In addition, Im-still-lefty posted an article on recovering an RV which has been sitting a long time.  Take a look in the ARTICLES board - Tech Talk.  "How to Mechanically Prepare an RV for the Road".   I think it will be a big help.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca