Dynatrack 8R19.5 tire recommendations?

Started by tiinytina, March 29, 2013, 07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiinytina

Has anyone had experience with Dynatrack tires?  From my new best friend tire guy Bob at D &D Tire Commercial desk, they are the "Better" tire, vs Goodyear being "Best"...  there is a $80 difference per tire on cost but he said that the quality difference in the 2 is not worth the $80 each. 

Pricing All 6 Dynatrack mounted and spin balanced $1516 + tax
Pricing All 6 Goodyear mounted and spin balanced $1986 + tax

Dynatracks have 3 main grooves and the splifs are even to each other connecting the tracks, so water wicks out more efficiently, supposedly they have not had the groove cracking common in the goodyear tires.

Goodyear has 2 main tracks and the splifs are alternating. RSS newer edition has had less groove checking than the RSA version currently on. 

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Froggy1936

My 6 Firestone,s mounted & Balanced I had to take them off and deliver them (2 @ a time to Pep Boys) They did not have  a lift to do something that heavy / large (and there techs have forgot how to work with a jack ,)  No valve stems i have permanant metal ones  were $1200..00 a year ago  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

HandyDan

I have DynaTraks on my Holiday Rambler.  I was told they are used on commercial trucks.  Don't know if that is true or not, but I have had mine for three years and have no complaints.  At first I thought they weren't balancing right, but after I changed the shocks there was a significant difference.  I was blaming the wrong part.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

JDxeper

My 1 cent worth input.   The biggest factor in tire wear for you seems to be age, not mileage,  If I were putting on lots of mile I would go Goodyear, but age deterioration is the biggest factor so, seems to me less expensive is the best way to go.  looks like Dynatrack, to me.  I agree with your main tire man.
JD
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

ibdilbert01

I'm right there with JD and your tire guy on this one.   Why spend the extra on a higher mileage tire when mileage isn't your issue.     i??
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

ClydesdaleKevin

Samson tires are even cheaper, and so far I like 'em.  190.00 each mounted and balanced, comes out to 1140.00 for all 6.  We'll need 6 more when we get back to New York this year since we have trailing axle.  Gonna put the best old Michelin in the spare tire compartment since the Michelins aren't directional.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Elandan2

Your rig has 12 tires PLUS the spare??   :D
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL!  8 tires in the rig with the trailing axle...plus a spare.  4 on the Jeep, so 12 altogether, but that is on another post about the wireless pressure senders...

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Elandan2

At Dupree Products we do sell Pressure Pro Set-ups if you're interested.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

tiinytina

6 Dynatracks mounted spin balanced $1600  total all with new shiney chrome valve stems.

I have to say that they are much quieter than the Goodyears.  Had a little wobble on way home but found air bag on drivers side front had lost all air due to a fitting came loose under it....  and other was low at 30lb vs the 60 I keep them at.

Just FYI:  D and D Tire Company Hyattsville MD http://www.ddtires.com (they toss tires on and off dump and trash trucks all day long - pros)

6 Samsun  mounted balanced etc $1476 plus tax
6 Dynatrack  $1512 plus tax
6 Goodyear $1976 plus tax

Bob Jose was awesome to deal with.  Guys had issue with back drivers side as the axle is not lined up with the cutout so had to lift frame up then axle to get tires off/on.  Took a bit over 2 hrs with one guy working most of it.

Had them take the best inner old one and mount it on my spare (spare was a bias 2001 stamp Goodyear cushion ride).

Dynatracks are 3812  or 3912 stamped for date of manufacture. (yea I inspected each of them  :D )

Tina

Elandan2

Hey Tina, that was a good price. You will have to keep us updated on their performance.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Froggy1936

Tina You had better check that axel alignment with the wheel cutout That should not be out of alignment Possible rear spring center bolt top sheared off allowing axel to move fwd and aft . This can become a real problem if its moving.  Frank   I seriously doubt the manufacturer would miscut an opening !
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

HandyDan

You say you are putting the Dynatracs on.  Exactly what model of Dynatracs are they?  I have ST990 which are really a trailer tire.  However, they work well and I have had no problems.  There is a RT600 that is very similar in specifications but has a different tread.  It is listed as a steering tire.  There is, also, a PD890 that is listed as a drive tire.  Just wondered which one you got or was is something different.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

tiinytina

The tires are the ST990s dynatracks... let you know I guess. Bob says he has put them on multiple RV's and has had no complaints.

Frank- my mechanic has changed out shocks, exhaust etc... nothing noted  as broken and I crawl around every spring greasing every point I can find but I will crawl under tomorrow as I grease her up as I have done with an eye open for this... the issue is about 1" and the exhaust on the drivers side is forward of the passenger side due to the black water tank location (right in back of this tire)..

Tina

PEntertainment

I was looking at cheap tire options and found these...

https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=8R19.5&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=8R19.5&hl=en&client=ubuntu&sa=N&channel=fs&tbs=vw:l,p_ord:p&tbm=shop&ei=J9JgUZDCLZCJ2AWqjoCYAw&ved=0CEYQuw0oAQ&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44770516,d.b2I&fp=ae18f505742f750a&biw=1280&bih=934

It seems that the samsons are the cheapest ... $152 per tire tax and shipping  vs Wanli's $156
but then you have to get them mounted..

6 tires would only cost about $900 and then you have $600 to pay someone to mount them (to get to your 1500 Dyntrack quote). I don't know the going rate for that at your shop but around here if you bring them the wheel in it's $25 per tire to change them. So you might save a few hundred bucks. For balancing Im going to try the beads/bean bags.

Any thoughts on the Wanlis vs the Samsons?

ClydesdaleKevin

Never heard of the Wanlis, but I'm running the Samsons on the front right now and put a LOT of miles on our RV every year...it hasn't been a year yet (we had them installed in September in New York, drove them to North Carolina, then Georgia, then Louisiana, and then San Antonio, TX, and then all the way out to Tombstone, AZ, and then to near Phoenix, AZ...and so far I like them a lot.  They are a great steering tire, better than the old Michelins were.  Unless something goes wrong with them, we'll be getting 6 more when we get back to New York this year.

As far as holding up well so far, they still look new with no unusual tread wear.

Kev

tiinytina

Frank- I crawled under.. and no broken bolts etc.. the axle held by 2 1" thick U bolts. Springs are all bolted down nothing bent.  If the axle was 1" backward it would hit the exhaust and black water tank during a heavy bump...
Tina

JDxeper

If the axle was shifted, would not the drive line be making all sorts of weird sounds.
  A truck and tractor trailer plce can tell you in a minute if anything is a miss.   Also consult our friend Brad,

JD
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

ibdilbert01

QuoteIf the axle was shifted, would not the drive line be making all sorts of weird sounds.

I think the U-Joint on the pumpkin would just compensate.    Hm?
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Lefty

I had a car once come in the body shop that had the rear axle mis-aligned by about 1 1/2" on the right side. It drove fine, except it crabbed sideways a bit going down the road. The U-joints will flex enough for minor mis-alignment.

To check the vehicles wheelbase, straighten the front wheels and measure each side from center of the front wheel to the center of the rear axle. It should be the same on each side.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

DaveVA78Chieftain

Just a thought.  Was this due to age related spring sag?  If they hoisted the rig with the rear axle, the springs would have been compressed (weight of rig still on them).   You would have to lift the body/frame (remove weight from spring) to allow the spring to relax and allow clearance to access the wheels.

Dave
[move][/move]

tiinytina

I think its more due to the fact that the black tank sits directly behind this rear wheel so the exhaust is routed in front of the black tank between tire and tank... the tires were on before the body went on and its just not cut corretly.. only an inch. I've driven her 17K  miles and she tracks straight... sounds like a tin can full of rocks but thats normal too...  :angel:

and yes if you use the frame mounted stabilizing jacks to lift her 5 ton booty up and let the axle drop but raise it enough to pull the tires off they come off fine.  This place doesn't deal with old RV's too much mostly dump trucks etc... so learning curve...

Tina

TAWmson3

Well, I just bought a 1989 HR Imperial 3 wks ago and just today put Dynatrack tires on it.  The ride home did seem a little bumpier, but I didn't ask what the tire shop put in for PSI.  Could've just been our notoriously wonky roads here in OK on a 100' day <grin>.  Does your HR have the mor-/ryde stuff on it? Maybe the better question is what shocks did you put on and where?

TAWmson3

Sorry, last post directed towards HandyDan's post at the top.

TAWmson3

And, the Dynatracs I just put on are ST-995 all the way around.  Date codes appeared to be within reason.