How do I tell which gas tank is the main and which is auxilliary

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 12, 2008, 11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 10/9/2006 8:42 PM

I have a 78 Itasco about 22 feet, Has two tanks, Main and Aux. Which is the main, on the right side or rear

Sent: 10/9/2006 8:53 PM

On my 78, 26' Brave, the side tank is the auxiliary and the rear is the main. My generator is fed from the rear (main) tank.

Sent: 10/9/2006 8:48 PM

On my 78 Chieftain both gas tanks are on the right side.  The one in the rear is the Main and the one in front is the Auxiliary.  With the tank selector switch set on Auxiliary, I can add gas to the Auxiliary tank and see the fuel tank level needle go up from the bottom.

Ok... I'll go for repetition on this one.....

On a D21, the main gas tank is under the dinette and the window, not forward under the stairs or between the frame on the rear.

Unless it's been messed with by a dee-dee-dee, or the switch is upside down?.... wired to the wrong sensor?... or the valve is plumbed wrong? Damn now.. there's a conundrum for ya!

For D23's and up, the tank to the rear on the side is the main, which is that same single side tank that a D21 has...

D19, you ask? it's mounted forward, like the forward tank on the D24 (which is not the main on the D24 up...!)

Confused? why not....

Which is the main tank really? the Tank that doesn't clog the filter after driving 10 hours!

And I'm not even tanked.... LOL!

Tom

Sent: 11/15/2006 7:11 PM

In my '71 D24 Chieftain, the main tank is mounted on the right side amidship just behind the entry door.  It is the larger of the two tanks and has a single fuel line to the tank selector solenoid. When I put gas in this tank, the dash board fuel gauge in the upper left position went up.  The smaller auxiliary tank with an engine fuel line and the generator fuel line is mounted under the passenger side extreme rear corner.

Sent: 11/17/2006 3:11 PM

On our '76 D26MI Chieftan, the rear tank (60 gal.) feeds the genset & the motorhome. It's located between the frame rails & fills from under the spare tire carrier. The Auxiliary tank (40 Gal.) is located just rear of the front side door, on the passenger side. I don't have seperate fuel gauges, a single gauge reads the level depending on the fuel selector switch position.
Lefty

Sent: 11/18/2006 8:56 AM

On my '76 Custom they are side by side on the passenger side....The front one is the Main and the rear on is the Aux.
Also the smaller one is the Aux which also feeds the generator. I belive they are 39 gallons and 29 galons.

On way to tell for sure....is to diconnect the main feed underneath the rig at the tank selector valve. that is the single tube that should be headed for your fuel pump....bring something to catch the fuel that will back feed and do not lay directly underneath it or you will get fuel in the face.

After removing the main fuel line at the seletor valve, put a short new piece of rubber fuel line on the main connection of the selector valve ( same place as the one you just removed) and blow into it.....you will here bubbles in the tank assuming you have fuel in the tank...works best at about 1/2 tank of fuel. If your switch is on MAIN, then that's your Main Tank......then have some one turn the key on. the Key must be on electric selector switch only works when 12 volts are applied.  Change the switch to AUX, blow again, you should hear bubbles in the other tank. You should also hear the selector valve click when the switch is moved to AUX....now you know for sure which tank is which, and that your valve works correctly too.

Timmy

Squirrel

My 75' D19 Brave only has one tank that i know of, Whattttt?

-Squirrel