Is it hard to Change distributor cap and rotor?

Started by Rambunctious, July 07, 2014, 02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambunctious

I have a 454 Chevy p-30. I think I may need to replace my Distributor cap and rotor. It looks easy enough on the internet but I've never done this before. Is this something I should bite the bullet on and go to a shop to have done? I know maintaining the proper timing is important and I will need to mark the position of the rotor. The engine runs and starts great but I feel like a cylinder or two are not firing perfectly. This is the only thing I haven't tried. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I'm an amateur p-30 mechanic in forced training. I can't afford to pay a shop to do a try this and try that repair anymore so I'm stuck getting the grease off of my hands with Tide. :)

legomybago

Yes do it yourself!! :)ThmbUp

No need to worry about "marking" timing on anything...Your not going to disturb the engines timing by doing a cap and rotor. Just remove the cap with a flat head screw driver and set aside, then remove/replace the rotor with a torx head bit I believe..take your time, and DONT drop any screws!

If your having cylinder missing issues..you NEED to change your spark plugs and wires for sure (especially wires) Buy good ones, like $100.00 set...Do one wire at a time, so you dont get confused on which port they go into on the distributor cap..Take your time. Dont let your buddies drink beer a laugh at you while you bloody your knuckles!!  ???
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rambunctious

Thanks...I did replace the plugs and wires. I got premium wires with heat shields.

ClydesdaleKevin

The most important thing to do when changing out the distributor cap and rotor is to MARK YOUR WIRES!  You have to mark them so that you put them back on the new rotor in the exact same way they came off the old rotor.  You don't want to mix up the plug wires.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DonD

Also, the coil will need to be transferred to the new cap, don't forget to install the new rubber cushion and the contact button. The coil leads are quite fragile.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

Rambunctious

Thanks everyone...Saturday I will be doing it. Got the parts today.  :(