Source for 5/8 gas fill vent hose?

Started by TripleJ, April 04, 2014, 08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TripleJ

Im having a difficult time finding a source for the 5/8" fuel filler vent hose on my fuel system.  It is the smaller of the two hosed that runs from the gas tank to the filler opening.

Autozone told me to try somewhere else, Summit Racing said $29 for a three foot section of superfly racing hose  ??? , Amazon only sells a spool of the goodyear hose for like $75 (Goodyear 65117)...

Doesnt every single vehicle out there have some version of this vent hose, molded or not?

I suppose in the past I would just use heater hose, but everything is telling me that is not fuel compatible.  help?
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

Stripe

Have you tried NAPA and are you sure it's 5/8 ths?  Is that ID or OD??
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Stripe

Fredric,

TripleJ

Yes I did measure, it is 5\8" I.D.  The link you ousted appears to be exactly what I'm looking for. I wonder if the worker at AZ just didn't know what he was talking about.

I don't have a whole ton of experience with the auto parts store around here. I actually don't think there is a Napa locally

I will take that dayco part number in tomorrow and check. I still only need a couple feet and would rather not have to sit on a roll of the stuff when my repair is complete.

Thanks Stripe, still honing my obscure part search skillz :)

cncsparky

Gates 27008 is 5/8"fuel hose also.  My O'reillys show out of stock tho.
-Tom

Rickf1985

That might work as a vent but do not use it as a fuel line since it is not rated for alcohol blended fuels which just about all of the crap gas we have anymore.

TripleJ

We'll I tried autozone again with the part numbers for Goodyear, dayco, and gates, and they seemed very confused by the whole situation. 

I went down the street to the new oreillys. they took my p/n from gates and told me they could have my 3 foot length in the store by the end of the day. 

:)ThmbUp

TripleJ

All it took is a parts guy willing to use his brain and not just his keyboard peckin fingers.  W%

legomybago

good parts people are getting rare....
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Froggy1936

My favorite is when you need a section of heater hose, The keyboard guys dont hear you when you say 3 ft of 3/4 in heater hose . They say but what car does it fit ? So i tell them a 1953 Nash Ambassador . W% now they really go dead pan , With we have no listing for that so i tell them to try a Hudson Hornet also 1953 :angel: and again sorry no listing We go thru about 30 veh they have no listing for and then it dawns on them hey what size was that again ?  Hm? I can just cut it off a roll , If thats ok with you ? Computor people are not very inventive ! Frank :)rotflmao   @ Advance tell them you need points and condenser for a 57 Chev its another party .
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

TerryH

Too funny Froggy and unfortunately too true.
Try throwing in a 1950 Ford Flathead next time. :laugh:
Terry
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Stripe

Lol Froggy!

Pfft.. (you're right Mike it does fit everywhere)  Try getting parts for a '81 Delorean DMC-12...  That's the reason I gave it back to my uncle back in '86, that and I had also joined the Navy and was on my way to bootcamp.
Fredric,

Rickf1985

Try getting parts for a 1976, 77, 79, 81, 86 CJ-7 with a 454 in it. You really get the deer in the headlight look. I do it just for the entertainment factor. The best part is when they ask the year I say "which part?" Then they proceed to inform me that it cannot have that engine since they never put it in from the factory. "No, Your kidding right? It's parked right outside if you want to look. I must have the super rare special order executive edition then", "Look that one up and see if it had a 454 listed". By this time there is usually a line behind me which under normal circumstances would have been pissed for having to wait but they are enjoying the show. It seems the only people in the store that have not figured out this is a transplant yet are the employees. I finally thank them and walk out and people are howling with laughter. I am not really welcome in there anymore. LOL.

Stripe

Fredric,

Lefty

Careful what you say... never know when a counterman might be listening...

(15yrs Napa Auto Parts) :D

I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Rickf1985

If you are a NAPA counter man then you should know right away what I was talking about.

This wasn't a NAPA, it was Autozone.

Froggy1936

The really good (old) NAPA stores still have all the old catalogs and they know how to use them . Advance has never had any catalogs .  :)ThmbUp NAPA is the place to go for anything old  :)ThmbUp  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

M & J

I always go to NAPA. I was looking for wheel seals for my tandem trailer. No make on the hubs  or anything. Took an old one in, handed to counter man. He got a catalog and said no longer available. He disappeared behind the racks and a few minutes later appeared with 4. He said item used on a particular car. Cant do that at Autocrap.
M & J

Lefty

I still have my catalog rack... One I brought home when a store downsized to a new location and didn't need it anymore. My old co-workers still get an extra copy of any catalogs that get updated for me, so it stays current. When I first started, there was no computer. Everything had to be looked up manually.
Al the parts stores have catalogs. O'reillys, Advance, and even AutoZone. The difference is, at all of them except Napa, there is only one catalog rack...located at the commercial sales counter. Not only does the retail counterman rarely get any training on how to use them.. most commercial sales guys I know will bite your head off if you go messing with their racks (because invariably the catalogs either get put back in the wrong place, or not put back at all). Napa and O'reilly's also have a dedicated phone support number that they can call to get help with oddball items. The support staff has access to an even greater catalog rack (I worked in support for both O'Reilly's and Napa). Any customer can request they call the Help Line for additional information.
The biggest complaint I have about Autozone is that their stores are 90% car wash and wax, floor mats, chrome trinkets, and other junk.. and maybe 10% actual parts. I got tired of being told "We can have that for you tomorrow" for even the simplest and common items (Chevy HEI dist. cap and rotor, a set of wires, and plugs for one example).
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Rickf1985

And you WILL wait in line forever at those stores because every register is tied up with Mr. Clueless looking for whatever and no free registers for just checking out wiper blades or oil. I only go there as an extreme last resort.

legomybago

Quotemost commercial sales guys I know will bite your head off if you go messing with their racks (because invariably the catalogs either get put back in the wrong place, or not put back at all).

Thats funny...I've seen that many times :)

Maybe I'm the guy that comes in with the mystery part that takes a catalog W%
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

cncsparky

I very, very rarely need part number help anymore.  Too many resources online nowadays.  A little research, then hand the 'kid' a list of part numbers.  But now parts can be ordered online then pickup at the store, no interaction needed other than at the register. 

I was surprised the other day when re-plumbing my generator.  Needed a 1/4" in/out fuel filter to put inline and didn't have a chance to look up the number.  Went into O'reilly, told him what I needed.  Came back quickly with a perfect Wix filter. 
-Tom

TripleJ

I'm not certain the autozone by me even has catalogs anymore. If they do they don't know or don't want o use them.

Oreillys guys actually work to find oddball stuff that I'm looking for. I have no idea if there's a napa near me.