Spark plug removal 318.

Started by TheSportsmanDodger, February 10, 2014, 07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsmanDodger

Greetings name is Phil,

I am having issues starting our rv. Turns over, good brand new battery but I still get the classic start then stall out.

Anyone know how to pull the spark plugs of the 318? Working with limited space.

DELTA912

Try a U-joint and plug socket deep, with extension if needed. Works great on the B300 van engine compartment.

I guess you have a M400 LARGE chassis rv, Still might work.
Found an RV. 1976 Dodge spotsman W/ 360
Family Wagon by Travco!

joev

If it starts and stalls out sounds more like a choke problem than a spark plug problem
does it have a manual choke or electric check and see if the choke is closing fully and opens as it warms up if it doesn't start to open when it starts to warm up it will stall out

TheSportsmanDodger

Ohh yeah,  m400 much. Its almost done I am so ready for to present the final presentation to the misses.

TheSportsmanDodger

Quote from: joev on February 10, 2014, 08:23 PM
If it starts and stalls out sounds more like a choke problem than a spark plug problem
does it have a manual choke or electric check and see if the choke is closing fully and opens as it warms up if it doesn't start to open when it starts to warm up it will stall out

Quote from: joequote author=joev link=topic=8921.msg44512#msg44512 date=1392081807]Ohh yeah,  m400 much. Its almost done I am so ready for to present the final presentation to the misses

Electric in fact.
I do recall having a choke issue on a old 75 ford ranchero 6.6l

I will adjust and or Remove it starting tomorrow.

LJ-TJ

What makes you think it's the spark plugs? Hm? Take one of those mustard bottles/catchup bottles from the Dollar General and fill it with gas. Take the air filter off and put a bit of gas in the carb. Once it starts carefully and gently squirt gas in the carb.If it keeps running you got a fuel problem. Hm? There's a possibility it could be the voltage regulator. Hm? It just doesn't sound like A spark plug. However a deep spark plug socket a short extention and a ratchet should work. You may not be able to see the plug and have to go by feel but that's how I did mine. i??

MotorPro

When you say it starts and stalls out....How long does it run before stalling?

TheSportsmanDodger

Well, I'll let it tell you for it self, let me translate on behalf of my 318.

*cough* rmmmmmm

Chur, chur, chur, PLOOP  chur PLOOP PLOOP

* ignition off*

Translation " Sigh, trying so hard hello! With is going on.

Chur = turn over

ploop- turn on then stalls out then back to cranking.

joev

have you checked the ballast resistor or changed it they will let the engine start when cranking and quite when you let off the key. check and see if you have good fuel flow to carb. make sure choke opens and closes  if you haven change the ballast resistor i would change it for maintence and rule it out .  Do you have electronic ignition or points and condenser if points check point gap for starters

Stripe

Lol! Love the description!

If it's not a stuck carb float, then I would check the choke.  Also, make sure the connectors are all good to the carb. Doubt it's the plugs unless they haven't been replaced in a few decades.

Do what LJ-TJ suggests or if your not comfortable using a plastic bottle filled with gas, use a can of starter fluid.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

LJ-TJ

Man that sounds familiar. My 318 sounded just like that. But it could be a couple of things. Since like you we're not experts, we do the process of elimination process. I'm thinking I'd turn the key on and start it and dribble gas in the carb first to see if it would keep going. If it quite for the couple of dollars it would cost like jove says I'd put in a new ballast resistor and see what happens.  i??

Does it just quit when you let go of the key or does it kinda keep sputtering for a bit and then just die.

Hey when it starts does the butterfly on the carb stay closed or does it open once it starts?
Hm?

LJ-TJ

Hey when it starts does the butterfly on the carb stay closed or does it open once it starts? Hm?

TheSportsmanDodger

Funny, she said otherwise.
Her plug gap was highly unbalanced, mildly to intermediate fouled with the addition of 4 cut in half and or shorted out wires that go to the harness side of the drivers valve cover.

After that, I had found out that no juice was in the carb or going to it. So with that being said, I took the lines in fuel system blew them out the old skool way (by lips with the addition of a 3 foot hose) lol.

Anyway long story short:  choke adjusted, Taped one spark plug wire half way.  Blew air by mouth into the" tank" several times.  Sucked about 2 Coors light silver bullets worth of gas.  Blew air threw the fuel pump inlet and outlet by mouth (was some type of particals in it). Invisible but I could feel it when it blew out.  Then I re attached the inline and fuel filter,  Sucked the gas in the fuel pump by mouth also lol  Then I detatched the metal line that goes to the carb and blew air by mouth.  Re attatched the line then sucked the gas through the metal line.   Til it poored out, pulled the two needle valves out and cleaned debris out of the back valve.  Dumped fuel in the holes where the valves go.  Put a hint, of gas into the carb.

Turned the key a couple times and Ploahhhhhh!

ITS ALIVE!
I also even Changed ballast resistor, (not needed) and one last thing, CHECK YOUR SPARK PLUG WIRE FIRING ORDER 318 runs counter clockwise and clockwise at the distributor. Not sure on rotation? Pull cap turn key,

Look up firing order.

LJ-TJ

D:oH! WOW! Great stuff. Well done. :)clap :)ThmbUp

TheSportsmanDodger

Its nothing just needed a new battery 0 time to eat and will and power. To fry a 318 is hard to do, it will blow off the electric system in classic rigs before it will let you f it off in the running stage.

CHAMPION 318 4 bbl Holley carb.