best way to temporarily roof/siding fix water leak issues

Started by perlgurl, June 13, 2016, 03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

legomybago

I do know that the Eternabond should have been installed on a bare clean roof, then roof coating over top of that. Did you roll roof sealant then apply the Eternabond?
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

perlgurl

I had to go back through this thread to try to recall exactly what I did:

1) I cleaned the roof and stripped all peeling/fraying pieces off.

2) using Henry roofing tape (sealant, tape, sealant) as a binding agent for the forward-most seam that was  exposed.  Put down a full coat of roofing sealant.

3) found a 10 foot roll of 6 inch wide eternabond locally and used that to also cover that forward most seam.  Rolled two more layers of sealant onto roof.

Note: the eternabond tape seems to be holding well, it's just the (two layers of) sealant that was rolled onto the tape that lifted right off.  This is also an area where I've got some drooping in my ceiling so maybe it go wet/damp and that caused it to peel?  The rest of the roof look great!

M & J

Obi Wan. im struggling to figure out who that is.
M & J

perlgurl

I climbed up and took a photo to make it easier to see/explain.  I had to edit the photo a bit since it's blinding bright and white up there on the roof and looking at this photo I'm suspecting I might need to pull off that 6 inch strip (ugh, if I can) since it looks like there is some bubbling going on under it.

legomybago

QuoteNote: the eternabond tape seems to be holding well, it's just the (two layers of) sealant that was rolled onto the tape that lifted right off.  This is also an area where I've got some drooping in my ceiling so maybe it go wet/damp and that caused it to peel?  The rest of the roof look great!
Oh...I thought you said the tape was coming up i?? I'm glad it's not! As for the Henrys sealant coming off the tape,  I have no clue other than they are obviously not compatible bonding materials, or like you said moister.

perlgurl

That eternabond tape is stuck on TIGHT. 

Should I just remove all the other sealant from it since that is the place I plan to put more eternabond tape on it? I  figure I need to put down a couple slightly overlapping strips on either side of that 6 inch piece since that was were it was leaking.....

perlgurl

Quote from: M & J on July 12, 2016, 05:51 PM
Obi Wan. im struggling to figure out who that is.

"These are not the droids you are looking for....."

(does that help or are you just joking around?)

legomybago

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the Eternabond tape having any sealant over the top of it, the tape is already doing the job. It's not going to leak if there isn't any sealant on it.

legomybago

legomybago

Quote from: perlgurl on July 12, 2016, 05:59 PM
That eternabond tape is stuck on TIGHT. 

Should I just remove all the other sealant from it since that is the place I plan to put more eternabond tape on it? I  figure I need to put down a couple slightly overlapping strips on either side of that 6 inch piece since that was were it was leaking.....
If you think you need more tape, then you should definitely remove any loose material.

M & J

M & J

Rickf1985

The problem is that you have no solid roof for anything to grab onto. Everything you put up there is just holding onto rotted roof and it is going to come up, just a matter of how big of a section that comes with it. Who was it from Florida that had his whole roof blow off? Had horses.

legomybago

Rickf1985

That was him, He never did get the insurance too cover it.

M & J

I was going to dig back through your posts to find your pic of the roof before you started your work. But I agree with Rick, not enough "meat" is left on the roof decking for your sealers to bond with. That or moisture is migrating up through the rot and ruining the bond.
M & J

TerryH

Quote from: perlgurl on July 12, 2016, 05:56 PM
I climbed up and took a photo to make it easier to see/explain.  I had to edit the photo a bit since it's blinding bright and white up there on the roof and looking at this photo I'm suspecting I might need to pull off that 6 inch strip (ugh, if I can) since it looks like there is some bubbling going on under it.
Joyce is the center right of your photo the Eternabond - not other brand? Fairly important. If it is, can you go on the roof and push down on the small circular depressions/bubbles and see if the tape rises or moves at all? Try the same thing in the 'smooth' area  - of the tape .
Also, and important, is the balance of the roof area in the photo an area NOT covered with Eternabond?
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

TerryH

Tried to add your 20160712 - 134026. jpg, but didn't work. Your most recent posted photo.
Albus Dumbledore

perlgurl

Sorry, didn't mean to disappear but I was out applying tape to the roof in the scorching heat (for Alaska anything over 80 is TOO HOT).   

I applied two strips to either side of the large six inch strip near the front.  I added two strip on the seam towards the back.  I've got about 2 feet left of tape for now so I guess I need to order more to finish the middle seam so for now I'm calling this done!

There are definitely soft spots in the roof and I know I need to replace the whole roof; I  want to follow the plans for the rounded roof but I figure it will be either this fall or next spring before I get to it.

perlgurl

TerryH

|Ok, when you get to the full roof replacement, great. I would highly recommend Eternabond Tape be part of an incorporated procedure in that, particularly in vent and roof penetration areas.
Should you use it, in conjunction with a rolled on coating, direction of tape application AND direction of rolled on coating is critical.
Unless you want to re-apply it every year or so.
Unfortunately, most roofing material suppliers and basically no caulking suppliers seem to understand, as regards an RV, or tell you the importance of following the 'water fall effect'.
Extremely important in applications of both.
However, sounds as though you enjoyed your recent trip. :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp
Roof will be when you are ready for it!
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

I want to know one thing, How in the world do you keep your State birds (  BIG HONKIN' Mosquitos ) from carrying you off during your camping trips? It has been nearly forty years since I have been up there but those big bloodsuckers left me with a lasting image. It has always amazed me that those things can survive the winter. Probably due to the amount of blood they can siphon in half a second!

Brave Sole

I redid my roof on my 76 3 years ago. I had a couple leaks and could never find where they were until one time I was on the roof in the rain, and while I walked I could see dozens of tiny shots of water squirting up. The whole aluminum roof was breached. You will never see the small holes with your eyes but they were there.
I bought a 4' roll of roofing, it had metal on one side (6mil) and a thick grey adhesive (1/8th thick) on the other. I waited for a nice hot day, cleaned the roof, and started laying 4' strips across. I overlapped an inch..and it was easy to cut around vents etc. I didnt cut the vents flat, i cut so I created a 1/2 inch lip sticking up. I then used RTV on the corners. (stronger than silicone) That roof has been on for 3 years now, I walk on it, and its fine. I had one corner lift up, and I just cut another bigger piece and resealed it. Wonderful stuff. 1 roll cost me about $180cdn..its not cheap..but wonderful on RVs. Plus it looks original.!!

perlgurl

I had the rv out this weekend for the first time without a tarp in the rain.  I drove through quite a bit of rain and we got some torrential rain for a short time on Saturday  and I ended up with a puddle / pond in the center of the roof but there was no leaking.  I did move the rv quite a bit so the water kept getting blown off, but I never saw any drips or signs in leaking over the weekend. 

It's home and in rainy conditions again; after sitting out overnight it looks like my roof/sidewall issue is not completely repaired since the siding split that has been there and was dry and almost completely flat is now just a little bit swollen again so I'll need to dry the roof and cover it with the tarp again for the purpose of storage until I replace or better repair the roof.

Overall I'm happy with how it held up over the weekend though!     This is a photo of the RV with the ponding around the center vent.  I had to edit the photo quite a bit to be able to see the water and it's still hard to see it, but you can also see the amazing clouds in the background :)

Rickf1985

That almost looks like the top of a VW bus behind the RV?

perlgurl

Quote from: Rickf1985 on July 18, 2016, 07:24 PM
That almost looks like the top of a VW bus behind the RV?

It is.  It's my friend's van.  It ran when I met her 5-6 years ago but now she tows it to the races and uses it as her  place for her to sleep.   It's also in line for us to work on, after we finish getting the Virago to run and get started building my R2 unit  :)