best way to temporarily roof/siding fix water leak issues

Started by perlgurl, June 13, 2016, 03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Froggy1936

For a temporary repair till you receive the eternabond  Use Gorrilla tape and paint sealer over it Then remove it when you are ready to install eternabond !  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

perlgurl

Rickf1985

Use the Eternabond in the worst areas and the tape in the others. You are basically looking for protection while driving and you cannot tarp it. You can tarp it while set up in camp.

TerryH

Also, bear in mind that anything you do is temporary and will be removed and to an extent lost when you do the actual major roofing work.
You seem to have an excellent handle on what is needed to get you through a short term solution. By all means, minimize temporary repair costs. Gorilla tape is a great idea. You have already purchased roofing sealer, so use the two. Tarp when parked and properly used over the winter is added necessary insurance to prevent further damage.
You definitely seem to have everything under control.
Enjoy your trip, and again, let us know how it goes.
Best of luck. :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

perlgurl

So now I understand why i should have cleaned are removed the vent STUFF that I was planning on replacing. After over an hour I finally got the remnants of the new roofing material I put over the old vents off and most of the gasket material too, now to clean it and ensure all old material is off before I put on the new vent covers.

One of my pipes that needs a new cover is too tall by about 1/2 inch.  It's just pvc pipe so I was thinking of cutting it down so the vent cover would fit.  Any reasons not to do this?

Also, what material should I use, if any, to glue the cover to the roof prior to sealing it with tape and roofing material?

Rickf1985

Yes, you can cut down the one that is too high, the one that would worry me is the other one that is below roof level. Do you have access to that inside
? If so you should cut it inside and add a piece of pipe with a coupler and extend it above the roof and then cut to fit the cap. As far as gluing to the roof isn't there a flange that screws down over it? Normally it would have a flange that would then be covered with self leveling sealant.

legomybago

Use butyl tape under your flanged plastic roof covers. Generally when you look at roof vents, or the plastic plumbing vent flanges, you'll see a recess lip on the roof side mating surface where you screw the part down, fill that void with tape, screw it down gently and the butyl will squish down and create a gasket. Then top of screws and top flange surface with a self leveling sealer. Of coarse, this only works if you have good wood to screw to, if your wood is all rotten, then use Eternabond tape to hold the part down I suppose....This is the process I use anyway.
This is butyl putty tape:
https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-BT-1834-1-Butyl-Seal-Tape/dp/B001FCB4JS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466689540&sr=8-1&keywords=rv+butyl+tape
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

xerofall

Quote from: perlgurl on June 22, 2016, 06:01 PM
what kind of glue or adhesive did you either between vent and roof and/or around the newly install vent?

A ton of silicone haha. I tarp it for the winter.

legomybago

If I owned a flat top Winny, it would be under some kind of cover all year round! I don't care what condition the roof was in. Too many horror stories about roof repair.

Rickf1985

Silicone!!! BAD!!! I don't even mention silicone and RV in the same conversation!!! N:(

perlgurl

This is what I have to work with for today:

- this tape that has Butyl in it
- gorilla tape
- 10 feet of eternabond tape
- roofing stuff to roll on

I'm not entirely sure how this will turn out. :(

Our home water heater decided to spring a leak yesterday (it's been warning us, but it gave up last night) so now I'm scrambling to install a new water heater plus finish the pex / water pump system install and test plus do this.  I think this might be the thing that gets the cruddiest job since I have to redo it anyway once my big roll of eternabond gets here.

Rickf1985

You are definitely going to earn this vacation! If that tape is like a putty then fold it over a couple times so there is some mass to it to squeeze out. That will give you the best seal. If you can't do that then improvise, you seem to be quite good at that so I will not advise on that one. You are running out of time to be trying everything we are all telling you. You are going to burning all 20 hours of daylight today!

perlgurl

Holy cow, I did it. The roof is done and ready for the trip. I fixed both vents and sealed the roof with two more layers of the sealant. I am so tired and yet so ready for my trip on Sunday!

joanfenn

M & J

M & J

Rickf1985

Do you do windows? :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

Your husband is a lucky man! He found a keeper!!!
Enjoy the trip, you earned it.

legomybago

perlgurl

Amazing trip in Denali! Even though I had just redone most of the roof I used a 20x30 tarp over my RV the entire week I was there and got QUITE A FEW LOOKS, but we were dry the whole time so I really don't care!

I just started working on my photos and there's a lot so it will take me a while before I'll post a blog entry with pics, but I wanted to share what our accommodations looked like for the week we were camping in the park and completely off the grid.

Rickf1985

Hey, who cares about the looks?! You had a dry camper AND a closed in DRY veranda! How many could say that? Glad it worked out for you, you worked hard for that one. Looks like the weather did not really cooperate though. Did you have any leaks traveling in the rain?

perlgurl

And we were lucky enough to have beautiful skies the day we departed so I could take the tarp off and get these photos :)

perlgurl

Quote from: Rickf1985 on July 03, 2016, 09:58 PM
Hey, who cares about the looks?! You had a dry camper AND a closed in DRY veranda! How many could say that? Glad it worked out for you, you worked hard for that one. Looks like the weather did not really cooperate though. Did you have any leaks traveling in the rain?

During the day we had a mix of sprinkles/overcast and some sun.  We mostly had rain at night. No leaks while driving even though I drove through some rain to get to Denali on the way there and the way back. 

The rest of my enternabond tape arrived while I was in the part so as soon as I get some dry days I'll get back up there and tape the roof up real well and put a couple more coats of the sealant down too. 

M & J

M & J

TerryH

That is a tarp and a half! :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp
Who cares what it looks like? If it works for you, that's all that matters. Very glad to hear that after all your work and effort you had an enjoyable time. That is what's important.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

AND............................ The tarp blocked out the nightime sun!

perlgurl

So I'm back from my trip.  The 50 foot roll of eternabond tape arrived while I was gone and the sun is out after many days of hiding so I'm trying to finish repairing my roof.

Step 1: clean the roof, again.

Step 2: notice that the two coats of roofing sealing that I put on the big strip of eternabond that I put across the whole roof in the most badly damaged area is peeling off.

Step 3: don't panic. grab my towel.

But seriously, what the heck! It seems to be confined to the middle third section that is peeling off, but I'm worried that if I put more down roofing sealant it will just peel off.  I guess I can just peel off all of the sealing off that strip, finish covering the area with TONS AND TONS of eternabond and....then what? 

The rest of the roof looks good with regard to the sealant sticking. 

Do I just tape the HOLY HECK out of the roof and forget about the sealant since it doesn't exactly stick to the eternabond? 

Do I need some kind of primer to put on the tape once it's on the roof to get the sealant to stick? 

Help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope!