Headlights and running lights quit

Started by tiredtraveler, December 16, 2010, 05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiredtraveler

OK I changed my alternator cause the voltage regulator burned out. Now my lights (head and marker lights and gauge) don't work I have checked every fuse in the panel  turn signals brakes and hazard still work any suggestions  :(
Tiredtraver

4winds

possible that overvoltage fried the bulbs.  Have had this happen with trucks before.  Ed

LJ-TJ

It might just be that the plug on the light switch may have wiggled it's self loose. I had that happen once. Is your's  a 74-75. Have you got a wiring schematic for your rig?

DaveVA78Chieftain

1.  Not sure where it's located but there is a fusible link attached to a junction block.  That (B+) is then feed to a plug that goes through the firewall.  This  goes directly to the headlight switch (red wire) for the headlights.  It also goes to one side of the tail light fuse.  Output of the tail light fuse is then feed to the headlight switch (there are actually 3 seperate circuuits in headlamp switch).

2. The 84 (P30) wiring diagram indicates there is an auto reset circuit breaker built into headlight switch (doubtful that 85 is any different).  Only affects headlights (not tail/instrument lights).  If there is a short it will open up.  When the short is removed the circuit breaker will automatically close.  Battery supply to the headlight switch is the red wire on the rear of the headlight switch.  This is the direct wire from the fusible link.

3.  Tail/marker lights are feed directly from the headlight switch.  Not sure but coach mfg may possibly have operated the marker lights via a relay.  Reduces amperage load on headlight switch.

4.  Instrument lights:  From tail light fuse to headlight switch (adjustable dimmer circuit) to instrument panel fuse to panel lights.

Dave

[move][/move]

tiredtraveler

Thanks to everyone that posted....when it quits raining in sunny florida (this place is not living up expectations at all). I will get under there and check out these options and let you know.
Tiredtraver

LJ-TJ

OK! Just fixed a similar situation yesterday. Except everything was dead. Nothing. No lights, nothing not even a click when you hit the key. I was the fusible link blown which is down on the left side of the frame on my 1975 connected to the starter relay.