One front airbag dead...should I deflate the other?

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, July 17, 2010, 11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Hey guys.  Somehow my front driver's side airbag failed catastrophically.  It must have been on the trip from GA to KY since it was fine when I left Georgia.  The other airbag is fine, and neither one shows any sign of dryrot or cracking...just a clean and sharp as a knife gash on the drivers side airbag and complete deflation, not holding air for more than a few seconds.  Maybe road debris hit it?

Whatever the case, we need to be on the road today and don't have the time or money to fix it today.  We'll have to fix it after our 776 mile trip to NY.  I know the consequences...it will float and be piggish on the highway, but I only drive 55 mph, so I know it will be okay to run with it and fix it later. 

Here is my question:  The passenger side airbag is fine, and holds air.  Should I deflate it for the trip so both sides are equal?  I know it will probably destroy that airbag too, but if one is getting replaced, I might as well replace that one too.

I'm guessing that it would be best to have both sides equal and just take it easy.  If no one replies before we are ready to leave, I'll deflate it and go.  I'll leave the computer up for now and put it away last.  If its a bad idea to deflate it, please tell me so...lol!

I did do a message search, and there is only one topic on replacing front air bags that I could find...but that didn't quite fit with this question.  When I replace the things, I'll post it in that thread/topic with lots of pictures...I'll probably install rear airbags at the same time.

Thanks for any advice!

Kev

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

The airbags are an augmentation to the suspension, and being that you're rig is 27' they aren't as critical as with the 30+ footers.  Obviously, the biggest concern is the effect of having a greatly unbalanced front end and its effects on handling.

If you deflate the other bag, and considering that you are driving at lower speeds, bar any serious and recurring jolting road conditions, you should be ok.  Remember, the 27' rigs before this didn't have air bags (I'm assuming you have coil springs), and they serve to dampen the existing suspension and provide more stiffness and stability as needed rather than provide the primary method of suspension.  You may want to leave minimal pressure in the good bag just so it doesn't get too deformed during the trip, making int harder to remove when the time comes.

Of course, as you saw in the other topic, and from your own experience, ari bags are a most welcome augmentation.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks Mark!  I went ahead and deflated the good airbag, and the rig handles just fine.  Most of the weight we carry onboard is in the van we tow, so it doesn't seem to have too adverse of an effect.  350 miles yesterday and no float and no weird handling...just wallows a little around sharp corners in town.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.