MH For Sale Halfway Across The Country. What the heck to do?

Started by JessEm, August 13, 2014, 10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JessEm

Found a(nother) MH halfway across the country that I would like to buy for parts. This one is in Seattle.

Anyone else ever have this problem? Is there a practical way to get one home? Most of the ones I'm looking at don't run well enough to drive, and I wouldn't trust them anyway.

On second thought, maybe I could just go there and strip off all the parts I want, stick them in a U-Haul and sell the rest to a junkyard on my way out of town?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/rvs/4613891165.html

Oz

No practical way to get it home without paying through the nose.  Even if you tow it yourself, your gas cost needs to be considered in the cost and consider if it's really worth what you're actually going to get out of it.

Only thing you can do is what you said, go there, strip it and bring he parts back.  Of course, that leaves the entire rest of the hulk to have to get rid of.

Might just be best to wait for one a whole lot closer to surface.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Shalydra

I'll second the wait on it theory.

I used to live in that area and that rig is on an island, you've two methods of getting it and or the parts off - ferry or bridges, both of which can be strict about load weights. then you've got the mountains. Even in a uhaul van it can be hell on your gas mileage to get through those mountain passes. You've got 3-5 ranges (depending on how much you want to zigzag through the country to find low grade passes) to pass over between you and there. Not impossible but certainly going to raise your costs significantly.

On the other hand it's one hell of a scenic trip. The land over there is beautiful and if you pass horizontally across washington alone you get to see puget sound, new and old growth temperate rain forests and pine forests, 2 or more mountain ranges (pass through one at least though the others are frequently visible for long distances), farmland, orchards and desert. Potentially see some gorgeous rivers and lakes too. There are some gorgeous plateaus carved by long gone glaciation.

TerryH

I'll third the wait on it theory.
Ship it - half way across the country + ? Pricey for the possible return value.
Go there and strip it, dispose of the carcass, load and return to MN., two way trip, time, motels, etc.? Pricey, unless you realize a lot of high cost donor parts.

As per Mark, wait for closer sounds better.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

JessEm

Ok, I agree with you guys too!

I'm just getting antsy! Searching CL 2-3 times a day and coming up empty-handed  i?? like this emoticon guy takes it's toll!!  :D

Oz

I know what you mean.  A lot of us do.  Patience is tough when you have the bug.  But, sooner or later, they will appear.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Stripe

That's short of the Island, I was just up that way this afternoon too..  Coulda found out if'n it were drivable..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

JessEm

Dave, Thanks for that link. I'm saving that site to my favorites.

Stripe, thanks but everyone it right, getting it here is just not practical, even IF it's drivable. I'll just have to keep looking closer to home. One will turn up sooner or later.  :)ThmbUp