Rebuilt/Remanufactured Engine Sources

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 21, 2008, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 10/7/2004 2:19 AM

HELLO,
I AM LOOKING TO THE REPLACE THE ENGINE IN MY 1969 DODGE WINNIE...(318).I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AROUND THE WEB AND HAVE ONLY COME UP WITH ONE SOURCE...CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND AN ENGINE BUILDER/REMANUFACTURER???I WANT IT DONE RIGHT!~THE TRIP THAT IS GOING TO BE RUN IS 3000MILES+!!!~THANKS FOR THE HELP AND SUGGESTIONS...MICHAELHTFD

Sent: 10/7/2004 6:22 AM

Copied from "Engine Rebuild" Discussion:

Jasper Engines are about the biggest, nation wide, any repuable engine repiar shop will have info on them. They have very trustworthy rebuilt engines with a very good warranty. Their cost is also reasonable. Here's their link:
http://jasperengines.com/
But check around locally for a good place first, try some local or regional speed shops. They usually know of someone who is good and maybe out of work who can or need some extra cash. Are you planning on pulling engine out yourself? This will help. If you have the room and the space and a clean place to work on it, and not in a rush, an engine rebuild is not exactly rocket science and can be done by yourself.  Have the heads magnafluxed, and the cylinders rebored and the value guides done at any machine shop, at home you'll just need the right books, manuals, tools, and time. I can be done and then you'll know it's done right. But for a full replacement, basically pop out old, pop in new, I'd go with Jasper.
Timmy

Sent: 10/7/2004 8:19 PM

I am in the parts business. Here in Indy we sell Marshall branded reman engines. Great price and they offer a "no fault" warranty that is good for 24,000 miles and 24 months even on our motorhomes! The no fault extra warranty is a couple hundred bucks more than the included warranty but even if you run the thing out of oil or drop a wing nut down the carb...they will warranty it. I'm not sure about the CWM rules when it comes to the selling of parts so I won't offer until I get some clarification. Plus you need to deal locally if possible unless you are installing it yourself. You could get online and find a distributor near you. Marshall does allow for very competitive pricing.  Jasper does make a great engine too. I think their warranty is 1 year & 75,000 miles. Guess it's a good deal if you drive like hell for a year. Jasper does have a huge dealer network but Marshall will pay any shop to R & R a warranty motor. We have yet to have one. Beyond those two companies I would be cautious. We have sold several other brands over the past 30 years and it is a crap shoot.

Sent: 10/8/2004 2:32 AM

i appreciate the help...i reviewed the marshall site and it is stated that they do not have any engines intended for A class motorhome applications...so, no warranty or even the option to buy!???...i sure hope that none of those motorhome engine buyers have a problem!!!...i will dream about a jasper engine$$$!thanks, michaelhtfd

Sent: 10/8/2004 4:11 AM

You are right about the class A warranty as listed. I have a class C myself but our rep tells us he can do things off the record sometimes. I do like Jasper and we would sell Jasper if they didn't sell direct themselves. Many of our shop customers install them and problems are rare. Most issues are resolved with all being happy. Ya gotta like that! We still have yet to have a warranty issue with Marshall...where's that wood.........

Sent: 10/8/2004 7:54 AM

Michael, I don't have a recommendation for a manufacturer but a word of caution for Recon rebuilts.  These are big in the marine industry, but they do truck and car engines, too.  Up until 5 or 6 years ago they had a quality product, but over the past few years they've slipped quite a bit.  Several marine mechanic friends of mine and my father (he's looking to replace one of his boat engines) said that Recon is averaging about 30% return rate on their engines right now.  They are selling them as fast as they can recondition them so the quality and attention has dipped.  Good luck with your search!