Cruise Control Upgrades?

Started by class87, November 26, 2008, 12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

class87

Sent: 9/5/2003 1:41 PM

Back in the early '70's, cruise-control was a Rube Goldberg mechanical set-up, involving magnets on the drive-shaft, chains & vacuum motors to the carb linkage and fail-safe swing-arm shut-offs, etc.......If one were to acquire a unit of that era without cruise-control, is this system still available, or are there newer technology after-market systems that could be used?  While cruise-control is not a have-to-have, it sure would be a nice-to-have for a trip across the midwest flatlands........

Sent: 9/5/2003 2:08 PM

Lee,

I believe most vehicles now today's cruise controls operate off the computer control modules.

Many years ago I installed a cruise control exactly like you described.  An aftermarket unit that used magnets and sensors with an independant control module that connected to the throttle cable assembly.  Not difficult mechanically to install, but, it was rather complicated to get the calibration, alignment etc. just right, especially with the magnet/sensor assembly.  Even then, it never worked nearly as well or reliable as a factory installed unit of that era.  It especially had trouble with hills.  Just didn't seem to give it the needed additional throttle needed on a hill and I almost always had to hit the gas pedal myself.   (Keep in mind that a mid 80's Subaru wasn't a real powerhouse to begin with, hill climbing almost always required a downshift.)  The other problem I had, which you wouldn't have with a Winnie, was the unit I bought had no cut-off for the clutch.  If I had to downshift, I had to tap the brake first or I'd risk a rather rude reving of the motor reminder.

However, like you say, it would be nice to have on any flatland trips and would have worked well there, so, even a  bad cruise control would be better than none in many cases.  At the time I was living in Northern Arkansas and even interstate travel up there was hilly.   

I'm not sure if anyone carries or makes that kind of aftermarket set up anymore, but, I'm sure that there has got to be something out there.  I'd be suprised if you could find an actual Dodge unit from that era, but, I'd start with the salvage yards.  The worst part of getting a unit off an old salvaged Dodge will be making sure you get all the parts needed and not leaving anything behind without a schematic or at least a very good idea of what you are looking for.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Jeff

Sent: 9/5/2003 2:55 PM

Some of the dodge units from the late 70s and early 80s worked from the speedometer cable - you had a two piece speedo cable, the servomotor and speed sensor fitted into the middle of that, and you ran wires to the column, had a special turn signal item.
I have used for years the kind that JCWhitney still has for sale - mine used magnets on the driveshaft with a pickup coil, a connection to the engine vacuum, a plastic control box under the dash, and a control switch setup you mounted on the column or dash or wherever. It worked fine on cars with adequate power, like sedans with V8s, but on motorhomes it would have the same limitations it would have had on a 4 cyl subaru; namely that it was fine for flatlands, not so good for hill country. The RV speed would drop enough that the unit would go into shutdown mode. Its adjustments cant really overcome that too much, but I think it is still worthwhile, especially with arthritic knees. You can also get these things on ebay, search on -cruise control-. Be careful you dont get the kind that only works with a Ford or Chevy speedo pickoff if your winny is the typical Dodge chassis. I like the type that just needs magnets on the driveshaft. I even bought magnets from ebay, made of neodymium alloy, quite powerful.
I have cruise control on everything I take on long drives - its a legsaver. denison

Sent: 9/5/2003 6:08 PM

I have OEM cruise on mine and love it(its also quite the rube goldberg setup),its a 79.Works pretty good on hills too,but after about an hour it gets errattic and I turn it off for 15 minutes,then its ok again,then I stop and refuel at 2 bucks plus a gallon.
BooBoo

Sent: 9/5/2003 6:12 PM

Now that I think about it its after market,just a pretty nice install.
Boo

Sent: 9/6/2003 11:16 AM

I put a vacuum type one on my 73 Brave about 10 years ago, I got it from Sears for about $75.00. It still works great and it was easy to install. Check around and you will find the right one thats dependable and cheap...
David