One brake light won't work

Started by class87, December 04, 2008, 10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

class87

Sent: 3/12/2005 10:31 AM

My driver side brake light will not come on.  The tail light works and the passenger side works just fine.  At first I thought it was the bulb (glass wasa seperated from socket), that didn't fix it.  I compare it to the other side and I don't see any differences.  I know electrician so any detailed help is appreciated.

Sent: 3/12/2005 3:45 PM

There is only one brake light wire running back from the front of the RV, so it is probably just a bad connection between the two brake light wire connections. And if someone added trailer lights to it, they may have cut back the insulation on the wire and it has gotten corroded. This can even happen an inch or so under the remaining insulation.
But another thing to check is that both tail lamp assemblies are well grounded. Originally they were probably only grounded by being screwed to the aluminum sheet. I unscrewed the lamp assemblies and soldered on a wire to each one, which I then ran to a spot on the frame where I found a good solid connection. That way I know my tail-lamps really have a gound connection.
The same thing is true of all the clearance lights. They are more difficult to run a new ground wire for, so I just clean off the back of the housing, and also clean off the aluminum siding, and put some anti-oxidant in between when I screw the light housing back on.

Sent: 3/12/2005 3:49 PM

I take back what I said. There would be two wires running from the front to the back, one for each brake light. This is because the brake light filaments are also the turn signal filaments. Now you have to wonder if there is a break in the wire somewhere in between, or a loose connector at the base of the steering column. The wiring for those brake filaments would go into the column, to where the turn signal mechanism is. There is at least one good sized connecter taking those wires out from the colum to connect them to the wiring harness that would run to the rear of the r.v.. This wiring harnes might run along the motor, and it could have been fried by the manifold. Another place to check. Sorry for my mistake. 

Sent: 3/12/2005 4:46 PM

Thanks for the infor denison.  I will look at adding the ground wire and checking the installation of the trailer lights.  The PO wired those in.  I messing with them this morning and the brake light came on.  I'm not sure what I did, but I willing to bet it is the ground connection since I removed the whole assembly and put it back on.

intofire1

Sent: 4/23/2005 7:22 PM

I had the same trouble with my dirvers side tail light on my trip home from a two day surf trip. As soon as I home check CW readed all the post and was able to fix the problem. It was a bad ground at the rear light. Clean all the light housing and replaced all the screws with stainless screws. All the lights appear brighter. Thanks for all the help. Gil