Carburetor Rebuilding, not actually that hard!

Started by Nuttcaze, December 07, 2013, 06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuttcaze

So recently I have been having a bunch of issues with my rv, Wouldn't start unless you held the throttle wide open, wouldn't idle, ran like crap. I was also having problems with my fuel pump, I used a Mr Gasket electric fuel pump for a year then it was having issues turning on, put a new pump on and it must have blown a seal internally cause it ran but wouldn't pump any fuel. Tried replacing it with anotther pump thinking maybe I got a faulty one and it too died. The fuel filter was changed when I first replaced the pump and the line didnt seem to be clogged so I wasn't really sure what was going on but I needed to make some kind of game plan as how to fix my issues.

Decided to drop the tank, clean it out as I had previous seen rust in my old fuel filter, wanted to replace some lines going to the tank from the pump, install another pump and rebuild my carb. I took advantage of the recent 50 degree day here in upstate NY and dropped my tank, got as much crap out of the tank as I could, ran new main and return lines from the tank  to closer towards the middle, easier to access them if I wan to continue new lines to the engine. I have a 40g tank in my RV, it has a separate sending unit for the gas gauge and another pickup for the main gas line, strangely the pickup had a in tank pump on it but it wasn't conected, I know the ford 460's like mine came with an external low pressure pump on the frame rail but I was surprised to see another pump inside the tank. But then again I know some versions of Ford based RV's used 2 fuel pumps. Anyways the strainer on the pump looked original and since I could not find any other strainer that would fit at the parts store I left it off, I have a new filter right before my new external pump anyways.

So then it was time to rebuild the carb, I have always been intimidated by carbs because of their complexity but since I couldn't pay anyone to rebuild it for me I had to do it myself. First thing I did was google "rebuilding a Holley 4180c Carburetor", then I spent alot of time reading and watching vids on youtube. I couldn't find videos of the exact model carb I had but watching vids of other similar models REALLY helped. Then I read the procedure in my Haynes manual, my Chiltons manual has very little info on rebuilding the carb. Then I decided there was nothing to it but to do it. Taking it apart was pretty easy, I put the parts into separate containers I got from the dollar store. Helped keep it organized and didnt lose anything. Spent a crazy amount of time cleaning the old gaskets off, but it was time well spent.

The gasket kit was a GP Sorensen kit from advanced auto, came with lots of extra stuff I didn't need, no identification as to what was for what and bad instructions, But my prior research really helped fill in the blanks in information.

Putting it together was as simple as taking it apart, just got it installed a few hours ago and it starts right up and idles great. I just need to road test it now and possibly adjust my floats but I am thrilled. the whole process of rebuilding the carb was way easier then I ever thought. I did my research, only took apart things I needed to, spent alot of time cleaning and the results are awesome.

Moral of the story is to anyone who might need to rebuild the carb on their RV, dont let it intimidate you, get your info and parts and go for it. Its easier then you think.

I'm gonna post more info about my carb rebuild in the ford section later with a few more pics. But this story is for anyone who has any model carb on their RV.

bluebird

That's not so. A GM quadrajet is nothing like a holley. The quadrajet can be a challenge even for an experienced carb guy. Glad the holley worked out for you.

Oz

And from reading past posts... thermoquads really take some know-how.

Still, RVers have many tasks we undertake as first-timers and, well, "where there's a will, there's a way".  Thank goodness for all the knowledgeable members we have to help each other through them, even complex ones like a carb rebuild.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

cosmic

oh I remember trying to find the right epoxy to seal the caps. on my carter thermoquad. what a pain in the bum.

if this is the first carb you try to break. STOP. pay the proper person to do the job right the first time.

MY 2 Cents.

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep, what was said about the Rochester Quadrajet is true...and after 3 crappy rebuilds in a row, supposedly done professionally, I gave up and bought an Edlebrock.  I wouldn't be afraid to rebuilt the Edlebrock myself any day, and your Holley looks almost as simple.  Not all carbs are simple though...lol!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

I am an ASE master tech, auto and truck, retired. My specialties were wiring and carburetors. I can tell you that just because you can take it apart and put it back together does not mean it is done correctly. This applies to all carburetors. As has been mentioned, the quadrajet is a very technical carburetor. I am not saying that you cannot do one of these or any other carb in your garage but you have to be aware that there are other things that need to be done other than clean off old gaskets and replace with new. Throttle shaft clearances have to be checked especially. Venturi bores need to be checked for and damage from throttle plate interference and the throttle plates themselves have to be checked for wear and damage. Floats have to be weighed. The throttle plates also have to be removed and reinstalled and centered, something that was seldom done at the factory where these were mass produced. Then there are also little tricks that you can do while it is apart to improve airflow which in turn will improve efficiency and power. That in turn will improve mileage.

LJ-TJ

Thank you I feel so much better know that I chickened out  Hm? :)ThmbUp

legomybago

If you have ever had the plessure to visit a true carb shop, the detail a good carb guy goes into is awesome. re soldering all the plugs, deburring castings, you get a real good fine tuned fire breather...a true art.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

intofire1

I take my hat off to somebody who tries this daunting task by himself. I know you save yourself a lot of money. I know because I paid a professional to do mine, I've had good luck for the past four years with my carburetor. Thanks for the tutorial and the pictures now I realized I did the right thing for me.
Gil in LA CA

ibdilbert01

Awesome Nuttcaze!  Thanks for sharing and posting all the pics!   

"don't let it intimidate you, get your info and parts and go for it. Its easier then you think."
I totally agree!   First carb I rebuilt was a tired thermoquad.    Was intimidated as all get out and I had a book!   

"just because you can take it apart and put it back together does not mean it is done correctly."
Correct Rick!  But if she runs good, shes close enough for me!  hehehe (Coming from a non ASE master tech, who always has spare parts leftover....    :laugh: )
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!