Source for Tires?

Started by LJ-TJ, January 22, 2014, 09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Hey gang, all the time we've been looking for tires and rims has anybody ever checked this chap out?

cosmic

tried a R8 17.5 but could not pull it up. i??

ben2

Thanks for the link, they do have the 8.00X16.5 for my Minnie Winnie. And a good price for them, but my concern is that they are not rated in a 10 ply with and "E"rating. the originals according to the owners manual were 8.00 by 16.5. What is on there now is Coopers 8.75 by 16.5 with a load rating of "D". I don't know for sure  but I think these tires are for Antique vechicles. The pictures shown is not the wheels that I have which are 8 lug..Thank you.. ben

LJ-TJ

• Don't hold me to it but my under standing is that they bought the tire molds from the factories for a kzillion tires and they make their own tires sort of. I would give them a call at talk to one of the guys there. Hm?

LJ-TJ

Crap look what I found this morning. Be patient it gets to the tire stuff.

legomybago

That is correct LJ-TJ, they have the molds. There is no demand anymore for the big tire companies to make the odd sized tires, and bias ply. That is the only place I can find my size 7.50-17 (at an affordable price too). I've seen Cory Coker on numerous auto t.v. shows, very popular with the old school hot rod community...They are even into vintage motorcycle tires now i think
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

jkilbert

When I got mine I bought Yokohamas. Don't know if theyre still making that size. I have seen them in a Double Coin which is Chinese. Haven't heard how good these are.
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

LJ-TJ

With all the custom wheels out there someone has to produce a eight lug 19" wheel that fits a 75 Winnebago. I've driven on 16's and I've driven on 17.5's and I really think if I could find a set of 19's it's just big enough to make the bottom end/top end RPM difference to my be get the mileage up to a steady 10 mph. Maybe even sqeek out 12. Hm?

cosmic

Oh good God. we have the same reoccurring dream.  :)rotflmao 12 mpg W%

ClydesdaleKevin

Check out Samson tires sometime.  They make a lot of obscure truck tire sizes.  I've got the 8R19.5s from them, and am VERY happy with them.  Not sure what other sizes they make.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

joev

I bought the double coin tires 8R17.5 in the fall bought a set of seven the research i did looked good going to take the RV on the road for six weeks this june  will let everybody know how they work out. What i have driven on them so far they run smooth and quite and ride nice for 10 ply tires with 70 psi air in them

LJ-TJ

Here's what I'm thinking the problem is. With the 16's,17.5's tires they are on eight bolt coned rims. The 19 or is it 19.5's are on 5 bolt rims. Part of my confusion comes from the fact that in the brochure from the factory it says as an option you could get 19.5 tires on a 21 footer. So does that mean some were out there  are a set of 19.5 rims with a 8 bolt pattern. Hm? N:( D:oH!

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteSo does that mean some were out there  are a set of 19.5 rims with a 8 bolt pattern. Hm? N:( D:oH!

Only the rim gods know for sure  W%

I have never seen anyone with 19.5 rims with an 8 bolt pattern.

I have been using the 17.5 Double Coin tires for a few years but I do not put a lot of milage on them.  They have held up well  so far.  My biggest concern is rim strength because:
1.  Rims were only designed for bias-ply tires
2.  Rims have a 70-75lb max air rating.  Today's tires are spec'd at 80 - 90lbs.  I run them at 70lb to prevent rim failure.  Already had one rim fail several years ago.

Dave
[move][/move]

joev

I would think that you could have custom rims made up 19.5 with 8 bolts holes
http://www.stocktonwheel.com/   
I emailed them to see if it is possiable

Oz

Stockton has been around for a long time and they can make anything (the link is also in our resource section).  However, let me just put it this way... !!! $$$$ !!!!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ben2

I was getting a 16.5 repaired today at a place that has been in business for a number of years, they do recaps for truck tires, anyway I was also looking for 16.5's. He mentioned Samson tires, at a good price, they look alot like regular truck tires,and they are made in USA. He also mentioned that the indian buyout of Cooper tires has fallen through. So Coopers' will be coming back. That is what is on the Minnie now.. it is a great tire. He sais that since we have outlawed chinese  tires from the american market, that is why tire prices have gone through the roof??Something to ponder...?

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep, and while I like them a lot and they are great tires in my opinion, Samson tires are indeed made in China.  I know this for a fact, since I just bought 8 of them, and they are all marked Made in China.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.