Using " Fix a Flat " on Air Bags?

Started by RayCameron, May 27, 2009, 12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayCameron

One of the two rear air suspension bags holds air. The other has a fairly fast leak and won't hold it but for 20 min or so. I'm having trouble making ends meet these last few months and am wondering if Fix a Flat in the air bags might plug wherever the air is leaking out. Just a thought and wanted to run it by you folks. I'v never used the stuff so I don't even know if it really can fix a flat or not.  :(

Chuck

I thought about using something like that until I got an air spring education on my back.  Our rigs are kin (mine's the Itasca version) and I'm fighting the same battle in dealing with expensive replacement air bags.  You do not want Fix-a-Flat going through your air solenoids.  It may stop up all of your valves and I doubt it would hold since air bags leak from age, not from a nail hole.  The old Fix-a-Flat has been cussed by many a mechanic because it will rust a tire rim.  Also for it to coat the entire rubber it has to rotate (as in tire spinning).  Some of the newer brands may work better, but even if you inject it directly into your air bags, it will eventually go into your air release solenoids.

There are more places than just the bags to cause leaks on these older rigs.  In my case and after several crawls up under the rig to run leaks down, I've about elected that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and replace it all.  If your bags are from Jetco, they more than likely have a hollow metal tube above the air bags (which holds air) which may rust from the inside and leak with age also.  Also the solenoids can get old or get trash in them and cause leaks and if your rig has independent left/right leveling this could be why one side would go down.  If yours has auto-levelers, these can get out of adjustment and/or wear out.  A leak will also strain your air compressor and there's another expensive replacement, so if your compressor is running all of the time now, kill the power then pull the fuse when you don't need it until you get a fix. 

To be honest for all of the trouble these air springs are I wish I could replace them with heavy duty coil springs and shocks.  Any suspension experts out there?
I'm working on it!

RayCameron

Yeah I did have the concern it would gum up things it should not. Good point about the tire rotating " I thought it would just move toward where the air was escaping " I don't see how it would work now with a stationary bag. I have to manually add air from a place just under the rim on each side " no compressor " so they are completely independent of each other. I am going today to Camperland so they can order the bag I need but I don't see them being able to be done by they time we leave for out trip in early June. Our trip is only a  few hundred miles but it will be the longest we've been and towing a car so think at least the rear bags would be better on the rig and us. Oh well I'll know more today. Thanks again for the reply.

Froggy1936

Hi Ray Take a look at my photo gallery I just installed Air Ride air bags Available from JC Whitney if your look like these they are available. But before replacing, charge ea one to 70lbs air pressure & ck for leaks with soapy water. (i use a empty spray bottle with dish soap) There are many places they can leak besides the bag itself. A fitting may just need tightened  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Oz

Please read my post air bags.

Inserting a stop leak will leave residue in the valve even if you add it directly into the air bag.  Also, an air bag compresses and expands a lot while in use and this will eventually cause small pieces of the sealant to break off and clog the valve if air is left out.

If purchasing air bags, go with the known, quality brands:  AirLift or Firestone.  If Jetco is substatially less in cost, well, you know how it goes, "You get what you pay for" in this case.

As for having to go around to all 4 wheels to add air...

If you are going to replace your bags as a set (front is one set, and the rear is another set), you should get a "T" connector and extension air lines with them (included with each set).  I have the inlets mounted in my front bumper and just under my rear bumper, side-by-side.  It's a lot less of a PITA than "circling the wagon", adjusting pressure.

Also, you can get a small compressor, air guages, lines and fittings and create a manual control system in the driver's area.  I plan on doing this myself.

All I can say, and if you read the post I made about air bags, others will confirm, is that a quality set of air bags is very well worth the investment.

The alternative is to replace the springs and add new shocks (leaf springs can be re-arched) but, when it all comes out in the wash, the cost between doing that and replacing the air bags is very close, and the air bags are much less of a hassle to install than replacing the suspension components.

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Chuck

Have no fear - Firestone makes the air bags for Jetco ;) but you can order them from different sources if you have the FS number.  If you're not sure who made them, call the big W, that's what I did and they were very helpful.  In my case, I don't like the way the air bags mount, with the rocker plate at the bottom tied in with leaf springs, and the hollow tube at top.  I may ponder mine a little longer before replacing completely but on a rear axle with a 10k rating I may have no choice but to stick to stock. >:(
I'm working on it!

RayCameron

Thanks folks for the many replies. I took it to Camperland " they wanted to look at them before ordering " so hopefully it will turn out ok. I could never really get under there to see them. One mechanic I had just look them over said there are two bags on each side and the folks at Camperland told me there was just a one piece bag : :) So what I am trying to say " and I told him they MAY not be stock " is they may have ordered the wrong bag. I am to take it in Tuesday and they will try to have it done by Friday as we are leaving " bags or not " on Saturday for the Dallas area to see a show then off to Canyon Lake or Fredericksburg " Texas " area.

Kind of nervous :-X as this will be the first time we towed a toad this far and will have both dogs  " and a new Dumbo Rat named Smokey " with us. The guy at the RV place said he could hopefully get it done as they are very busy. I'd like at least the back ones working as I have heard it can put stress on the frame or roof if they are not used  " on our particular coach ".

Oz

Hopefully, it will all come together for both of you and I'm sure you'll come up with a solution that fits.

And, have a great trip!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca