Headlight replacement sources

Started by mightybooboo, December 03, 2008, 10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightybooboo

Sent: 9/7/2003

I would like to find Silverstar lights to use for low beams,when all are on with high beams my normal halogens are great,but just lo beams are awful.heard good things about silverstars though longevity isnt much.I have the four bulb sealed beam setup.
BooBoo

Lefty

Sent: 9/8/2003

I haven't seen the "Silverstar" brand, but Hella makes a couple of great headlights in the H-4 European spec's, 60w lo/100w hi that should fit the bill. I know they are available in the 4-light rectangular setup, I'll see if they come in the round style and post the part #'s. 
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

enigma960080

Sent: 9/9/2003

Lefty, Could you please post the H4656 /4651 equivalent also please
2000 Fleetwood Southwind 32V--deceased
2001 National RV Dolphin M-5332

mightybooboo

Sent: 9/9/2003

Lefty,they are Sylvania Silverstars,supposed to be around 17 bucks each.They get rave reviews from RV and offroad sites,just that they only last a year,but figure I do so little nite driving should last longer.And as I said its the lo beams that are poor lights so I really need better lo beams,Im outdriving em now,but the hi beams light the road like daylight and Im pretty sure they are adjusted right.Do you know what a standard(Sylvania) halogen is on lo beam wattage wise?And yes they are all new lamps. I have the square ones,.Hella does make quality lamps,bought a setup for the old VW Transporter very expensive bulb housings but WOW! what awesome quality cut glass lenses,really works of art.But euro 6volts and still not very bright,dont drive it at nite,may rewire em,but thats another story.H-4, that is the removable bulb from the housing setup like in my Jetta,correct?

Lefty

Sent: 9/10/2003

You are correct. The H-4 are replaceable bulb type that fit in place of H6451 and H6456 Rectangular lamps. they are pricey but last for years and the bulbs are replaceable. The standard Halogen from Sylvania are around 45watt on lo and around 60w on Hi, Another alternative is to use a line called "Britelite" by Sylvania, They are about 30% brighter on lo than standard Halogen lamps and have improved optics for a more focused beam. They run around $15. each. Have you thought about some Driving lights? They have come a long way in design and look good too.

mightybooboo

will check out the Sylvania Britestars,also is the Hella sytem plug and play or do i need to rewire plugs?How much do they run ?,and yes I have considered driving lights but want to try replacements first.

Lefty

Hellas should plug right in, The Sylvania's are "Brightlite" not "Brightstar" I'll get exact spec's for you tomorrow

mightybooboo

Lefty, you meant Wagner britelite,they are 4000 Kelvin just like the silverstars, but I can't find the wattage on em.

mightybooboo

I checked out the Hellas, seem to be about 45 dollars each plus bulb?  I just want the square lo beams I believe with H4, 55/65watt euro specs (plus 30% or plus 50% bulbs).  If you can hook me up with the Napa parts numbers, or if available thru Napa, I will run to my local store and pick em up.  Does my low beam also have a high beam,t hen a seperate hi beam on the other light, I can't remember if all 4 light up on high beams.  I don't need the lights that come on only for hi beams,OK?  I will get the Hellas E code if available.  Mrs BooBoo says OK, I dont think she quite understands why I would pay that amount tho..."The others are so much cheaper" That they are, I replied, that's the whole point!

mightybooboo

Lefty, I forgot to add have a Dodge Class C Minnie Winnie 1979 MB300. Autozone site says they are 4651/4656 bulbs.
Thanks again.  I'm going to bed, the web search took hours but now I know the Hellas get RAVE reviews!

Lefty

Sent: 9/11/2003

Here's the #'s you asked about. Hella H-4 165mm Rectangular is part # 735-2677, Replaces H4656 hi/lo & 7" Round is part # 735-2690 for 2-light system. also H4656BL and H4651BL are the Brightlight part #'s They are listed as 80% Brighter than Standard Lamps, (which are rated at 35w/50w). Someone asked about mudflaps, I found this #, 821-6030 which fits perfect. size is 14"x20" solid black, cost is $24.99 per pair. Sorry I couldn't find the oil level sensor, or the filler neck gasket, the gasket would be simple to cut out though from sheet material. Hope this helps. ps. the Hella's are listed at $59.95 ea. so if you get them at $45. bucks, thats a good deal.

mightybooboo

Sent: 9/7/2003

Would like to use em for low beams, when all are on with high beams my normal halogens are great, but just lo beams are awful.heard good things about silverstars though longevity isnt much.  I have the four bulb sealed beam setup.

Thanks Lefty, will order them this AM.  We are off for a 5 day stay to put in, (you guessed it Rat), Formal Floral curtains!  Mrs Boos idea.  See you all back on tuesday or monday, a nice weekend to all.

Site for ordering Hellas.  Thanks for all the advice Lefty, Im sure these lamps are great, I got the 165mm  H4's and H1's with the xenon +50 bulbs, 60/55 watts.  This site also has some good links about lighting and I saw several car clubs on the web that recommend them.  Costs 9.00 ups shipping(more or less
depending on order costs), if you order 4 lamps with bulbs you get 10% off, put it in comments section.

BooBoo

enigma960080

Sent: 9/12/2003

Lefty, If you go to  www.cskauto.com  and do a search  for                           H<insert headlamp number here>ST  you will find Sylvania SilverStars at 24.99 each plus shipping.
2000 Fleetwood Southwind 32V--deceased
2001 National RV Dolphin M-5332

Lefty

Sent: 9/12/2003 11:45 PM

Thanks for the info enigma but booboo was the one hunting them. You get this boo?--lefty

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sent: 9/13/2003

Sylvania Silverstars are available at local parts stores like Advance Auto ($24.88 each).  I saw them in a store today.   Why pay more by ordering on the net and paying extra for shipping?  Standard Winne 2 light sealed beam system P/N is H6024ST (55/65 watt).  They are amoung the brightest lights you can get without moving to an HID system.

Dave

[move][/move]

mightybooboo

"Sylvania Silverstars are available at local parts stores like Advance Auto ($24.88 each).  I saw them in a store today.   Why pay more by ordering on the net and paying extra for shipping?  Standard Winne 2 light sealed beam system P/N is H6024ST (55/65 watt).  They are amoung the brightest lights you can get without moving to an HID system"

Dave the downside to silverstars is they are among the shortest lived bulbs you can buy. The hellas can replace a bulb for as little as 10 bucks, plus you can put many different rated bulbs into them, upgrade em all kinds of ways.  More options with the Hellas, plus the optics are of outstanding quality in the housings.  Can also go E- code narrower patterns as oppossed to DOT wide angle diffuse pattern.  Cost is twice the silverstars, bet they last way longer, I hear 3-4 years as to 1 year for silverstars.  Then the Hellas become the least expensive of the two.  Anyhow, tha'ts why I got the Hellas.

BooBoo

MSN Member

The hellas are great, that's what I run on some of my vehicles. They are wired differently, & come with a 6" jumper wire, to make them "PLUG & PLAY". where I drive (logging roads) there are lots of flying rocks, & the only draw back is the $ if they get rock chips, I've had the lenses completly broken out & the inner bulb still going & they still gave off nearly as mutch light as a standard bulb. You can get 55-60w,  60-80w, 60-100w, or 80-120w, & now you can get newfangled blue beams , HID, & exion carbide ?? or something, I've ran all the wattages & I like the 60-100w the best as the low beam is about the max you can run & not atract attention (trouble).  I had 80-120w on a motor bike & I had people flashing me all the time. On my lattest set I got some sticky on 1 side plastic stuff thats allmost an1/8" thick (kinda like that contact stuff that you use for crafts & laminating), made for protecting lights. You just cut it to fit your lense and stick it on.so far so good..

myk

mightybooboo

"The hellas are great, thats what I run on some of my vehicles"

Mine were shipped yesterday, cant wait.  I LOVE bright lights, being kinda nite blind Mr Magoo that I am, LOL!  Lights are an interesting subject, sorta like carbs and curtains!
BooBoo

MSN Member

Sent: 9/14/2003

I have found this whole discussion of headlight technology rather illuminating!  (pun intended) ;-)

Lefty, I am now considering the upgrade, I have a 1792 C-20. The Headlight are round, and a single one for both High and low. Do you have a part number for this rig?

Thanks in advance...
Matt

DaveVA78Chieftain

The hella headlight conversion P/N is 70477.  That is for a the standard 7" round 2 headlight system used on most classic Winnie's.   The standard hella (HB2) replacement bulb P/N is 78156 (60/55W).  You can get a higher higher wattage bulb (90/100W) under hella P/N 78169
[move][/move]

DaveVA78Chieftain

Boo,
I must have missed your reason for going hella vs silverstar.  Been doing WInne bodywork.  Filthy, time consuming, tedious job, but it has to be done.  Was not aware of the longivity problem with silverstars.  Nice to know.  Some day I will most likely upgrade too but for now there are few more pressing items.  OK, back to the sanding paper and sticky/messy fiberglass filler....

Dave

[move][/move]

Lefty

Hi Matt, I sure do!! Here's the NAPA part # for the 7" round 2-light system,Balkamp part # 735-2690 . hope you enjoy them.--lefty

mightybooboo

Sent: 2/21/2004

OK,I did the those Hella bulbs and they are bright,really light up the road,very nice upgrade.
BooBoo

MSN Member

Sent: 2/22/2004

Connect your headlights to the battery with short fat wires, a heavy duty solenoid and a circuit breaker (or fuse).
Do the same with your dipped (low?) lights.
Use your old wiring to switch the solenoid switches.
Beef up the earth wires at the same time.
~
As wires get old, they can't carry the load