73 Brave Transmission Mount - Help!

Started by Clyde9, November 14, 2008, 10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 1/4/2007 12:29 AM

Hi everyone,  I am trying to locate a transmission mount for my '73 Brave. I need the rubber "insulator". It is a rectangular shaped mount. Two pieces of steel parallel to each other (the top, transmission side is about 5 inches wide & the bottom, crossmember side is about 10 inches wide) with about 1" of rubber sandwiched between the two.

I have searched everywhere, and everybody says they are discontinued (NAPA, Mopar, everybody...)

The rubber in the old mount was pretty deteriorated & weak, and finally tore in two. I presume I will either have to find something else that I can modify to make work (I have a 69-79 GMC mount on the way that might work), or does anybody know of a place that can "rebuild" engine mounts, that is, vulcanize new rubber between the old steel pieces?

Help is much appreciated! Thanks!  -Aaron

Sent: 1/4/2007 12:02 PM

The dodge motor home chassis parts catalogs can be confusing, such as when different editions have different info - for the same parts, as per the pictorials. There is something called an 'Engine Rear Support', mopar p.n. 1936374. But there is also an item called an 'Engine Rear Support Insulator', mopar p.n. 3632984. The two parts are not both pictured in both editions of the parts catalogs I am looking at.
If the NAPA counterman looked in his computer and told you it wasnt available, he probably should have looked in his hard copy parts listings.
I have had good luck getting obsolete mopar parts from an online seller whose email is dartman67@aol.com. He works from the mopar p.n. or from a description of the item. I pay him with u.s. postal money orders and have always been well satisfied. Its been 3 years since I dealt with him - so I hope he is still in business. He's located in the St.Paul MN region. When the mopar originals are unavailable, he might even have a good aftermarket item.
If I were faced with your dilemma, I might make a bracket to keep the tranny from moving left or right, and saw out a chunk of old tire sidewall for an insulator. If you plan to tow things over the mountains, you might need to have a chain over the the tail-housing of the transmission to keep it from lifting up off the cross-member in first gear and wide throttle openings. I dont imagine that would be a problem east of the Mississippi.

Sent: 1/4/2007 8:08 PM

yep,

You have to find a parts store that still uses books and start looking at pictures.
There are only a few company's left that make motor mounts and most of them are overseas so there are not many catalogs to choose from.
I found all the mounts for my old Travco D400 chassis but it took a couple of try's.

Sent: 1/9/2007 8:01 PM

Sounds like a B , but couldn't this be done by finding a 7x year . Dodge I guess and sawing it to fit ???

Sent: 1/16/2007 7:52 AM

if you are interested in a new tranny mount, try summit racing tallmage ohio,also advance auto parts, can order a lot of the older winne parts.... NUMBY...