How do I open my awning?

Started by H2OUDRIVIN, July 01, 2012, 12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H2OUDRIVIN

Hello...it's me again...i have an 18' awning on my mh...cant figure out how to open it, any suggestions would be great. thanks in advanced...

DaveVA78Chieftain

Going to need a picture of the arms both top half and bottom half first.  Also if there is a brand name / model visible on it.  Different methods for different mfg's/models.
My original old unknown model works a little differently from the fancy new stuff.

Dave
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

All of our awnings on the 3 RVs we've owned opened pretty much the same way.  First you have to loosen the knobs located behind the arms, about midway up, that are folded up against the coach.

Using an awning rod or something similar (just a long metal rod with a hook on the end) you now have to move the selector lever located on the top of the awning tube, on the end near the front where the arms meet the awning tube at the top, to "Open."

If you are lucky, whoever rolled up the awning last made sure the awning pull-down ribbon is sticking out a little from the awning tube...if they did it right, you'll see a little loop of ribbon sticking out about half way down the awning tube.

Using the awning rod, hook the little ribbon loop and pull the awning all the way out.

Once you have it all the way down, you now slide the skinny awning arms all the way to the top of the channel of the large awning arms, and get it to lock in place at the knuckle where everything meets at the awning tube, near that lever, and tighten those knobs you loosened when you began, trying to get the awning fabric as tight as possible.  Gotta do both arms.

Now, using the side levers on each arm, raise the awning arms, both sides, a little at a time on each, until the awning is high enough to clear the entry door on your RV.

At this point, you have to decide whether you want to leave the lower arms connected to the RV, great for just one day or weekend camping and allows you to roll up the awning faster if you start getting high winds, or if you want to unclip the arms from the RV brackets on the bottom, swing out the legs, and stake them down.  If you chose the later method, make sure the arms are as close to verticle and 90 degrees to the ground as you can, then stake them down.

Sometimes the awning arms get stuck up against the RV when you are trying to lower it, so you'll have to pull on the arms to get them started before pulling that ribbon down.

Once you get the awning just the way you want it, flip that selector lever back to "Close", and it will ratchet a little bit tighter and keep your awning fabric even tighter.

Closing it all up is the reverse of the above, but make sure you turn the lever back to "Open" before disconnecting and loosening anything, then flip it back to "Close" before rolling up the awning.

Tie down straps and deflapper devices are also recommended.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteUsing an awning rod or something similar (just a long metal rod with a hook on the end) you now have to move the selector lever located on the top of the awning tube, on the end near the front where the arms meet the awning tube at the top, to "Open."

If you still have one of the original awnings (like mine), you may not have this lever.

Dave
[move][/move]

H2OUDRIVIN

i did not see a lever...i climbed on top of the coach and looked at it on both ends...no lever...tried unrolling it from up there also...nope.

DaveVA78Chieftain

The top of the arm (at roof) has a indentation that is placed over the roof piece to keep it next to the side of the rig (like a hook that is placed over a bar).  Half way down the arm are 2 knobs that have to be loosened to allow the arm to be raised up and off of the roof anchor.  For your first time to do this, have a person on each arm and then pull outwards allowing the awning to unroll.  Once unrolled and extended, lock the 2 knobs down to keep it unfolded.  There is another arm inside the main arm that acts as a rafter.  With the awning unrolled, it attaches out at the very end of the main arm using a 4" pin.

Things to know...  They're a garage style springs in the roller tube.  As the awning is opened out the build up tension.  They are used to assist you in rolling the awning back up.  They can break or get weak with time.  If they break your only recourse for an old awning like this will most likely be replacement.  If it is weak, let me know and I can describe how to increase tension.  If springs are broke, then you have 2 choices.  Either take the entire awning off of the rig or manually roll it up.   If manually rolled up, it has to be tight to prevent wind catching it while driving resulting in it becaoming a sail which then gets ripped off of the rig (remember, roll up tight).

To close it up, Undue the pins holding the rafter and place it gently back against the rig.  Then loosen each lower support extension knob, then let the springs roll the awning back up against the rig.  When against the rig, lift the arm up to re-engage the lock anchors at the roof line.

Dave

Hook Latch at Roof end of Support Arm

Arm Stored

Support arm (side knob is for support arm; Small knob against sidewall is rafter knob

Awning Pins

Awning Extended - Pin Installed connecting rafter and support arm at roller tube

Pin used to replace stripped rafter knob

Awning Extended with rafter attached (Front)

Awning Extended (Rear)

Awning Extended slanted for rain runoff
[move][/move]

Hawkmire

Quote from: DaveVA78Chieftain on July 02, 2012, 04:43 PM
If you still have one of the original awnings (like mine), you may not have this lever.

Dave

I have the same awning on my trailer. Have you ever replaced the fabric on that awning? I've watched a few utube videos on how to replace the awning fabric but I cannot for the life of me find anything on servicing this style of roller tube without a switch. Can you offer some advice?

DaveVA78Chieftain

I have never replaced mine so I am not for sure.  I know an end cap will have to come off to slide the fabric off the tube.
[move][/move]