Fiberglass Delamination... should I run?

Started by Randy_in_Ohio, March 20, 2012, 01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy_in_Ohio

I am getting ready to purchase an 84 Elandan today.  When I went and drove it the other day I noticed some delamination of the fiberglass in two areas, one was under where the water hose hook up is on the drivers side near the bathroom  and the other was to the left of the side door  behind where the wardrobe cabinet is... I didn't think much of it until I started searching on how to repair it and how big of a problem it could be.

should I back out of this deal now?   I don't want to get into a big repair job. Will this get worse and cause more problems.  If i can just use it as is for three years or so I'm not worried about it but if there is trouble around the corner, maybe i should back out now?   Help!

HandyDan

I looked at quite a few 1980-90 Winnebagos before I bought my Holiday Rambler.  Everyone of them had bulges in the fiberglass.  Most were in areas where they were subjected to heat, such as near the water heater, furnace, or refrigerator.  I didn't think of them as delaminations as more warping in the skin.  The Elandan is quite a motorhome, very well built, steel and aluminum framed, no exposed seams and ease of entry and exit.  Unless there is obvious water damage on the inside, I don't think I would pass it up.  But on the other hand, don't buy it thinking you will fix the problem.  This is probably more than you will want to take on. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Bakeman

I understand delamination can be fairly costly to repair.  Each to their own, but as for me, I would be somewhat cautious in terms of buying a unit with notable delamination.  MHO    N:(

Randy_in_Ohio

Well, I ended up bringing it home! 

I was prepared to back out but I looked at the spots a little closer and talked to the PO. He said that it had been that way since he bought it, and after looking at it closer I don't think they are too bad and I'm pretty confident that it will hold up for at least another three years with out problem.

I don't think this guy is trying to hold anything back, He has spent a lot of time, going over everything on how it operates to what he does to maintain, winterize and care for this RV.   I may try to repair them, I've come across some good info on how to repair this and I think I could do the job. It is almost thirty years old, and from what I understand, was a new technique of building them with the fiberglass back then.  I took my hand and pounded pretty hard both inside and out in those spots and they seem solid.  i??  I think Dan may be right, These may be caused from heat, the one to the left of the door is right where the furnace is. 

I want to take care of any problems before they  get worse... so if you guys think it's something that deserves more attention, please let me know.  I was able to use the delamination, to negotiate a little better price :)

Oz

It's certainly a difficult decision but, as you're looking for a short term use, if the areas aren't large and there's no sign of additional delamination in other areas, then it could well suit your needs.  Another factor is how do you think it will affect your ability to resell it when the time comes and, does the current price take into consideration how this devalues the rig.  If it's a very good deal, then well... just take a look at the thousands of vintage RVs out there.  There's tons of them with pretty noticeable "blemishes" of all sorts which don't affect the vehicles basic integrity.  If it's just a minor eye sore, then it's no biggie.  If it looks like a potential problem, walk away, there's plenty of others out there if you have the patience to look at them.

Edit:  While I was typing this, you posted your last reply so, my opinion is pretty mute.

Congratulations on you new, previously enjoyed vintage RV!   :)clap
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Randy_in_Ohio

Mark, Your opinion is never mute.  Thanks.

The excitement of my kids when I brought it home was worth the price!  I'm looking forward to creating lifelong memories for all of us... That my friend, is priceless. :)ThmbUp

ClydesdaleKevin

Don't worry about minor delamination, especially if you trust the seller that it was there when he bought it.  If that's the case, its not likely to ever get any worse.

Major delamination would be the thing to steer away from...and I've seen it on some coaches, even new ones!  Like whole external wall skins flapping loose because the glue let go, only being held in place by windows and trim pieces. 

If it isn't bad, leave it alone but just keep an eye on it.  If it appears to be getting worse over time, THEN think about repairing it.  Otherwise, just enjoy the coach and worry about more important things, like engine and coach systems maintenance...lol!

Congrats!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Froggy1936

In my humble opinion I think you made the correct choice. I would not worry about the problem as all that i have seen have some of it (delamination) I would think tat with all of todays epoxyies that if you wanted to repair it it would just be a challenge as how to get the glue where its needed. And you are correct about the memories with the kids wile they are young. They will outlast your 1st R/V  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

HandyDan

Are you sure it was ever laminated?  The Elandan was a departure from conventional coach building and incorporated a number of new, never tried before ideas.  If it was built like my Holiday Rambler then it just has a skin riveted or screwed to the metal framework with styrofoam and luan sandwiched in between.  I could be all wrong with this, but from what I have seen of that era of Winnebagos, I think the fiberglas is just warped out of shape and not delaminated. This is a picture of a Monaco that has fiberglass skin that is built in that manner:
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Randy_in_Ohio

Thanks for the input guys. I feel better about it now, but I'll keep an eye on it. I did run across a kit online which came with a "special" epoxy that was supposed to be a thinner consistency than most epoxies. The kit included syringes to inject the epoxy behind the damaged area.  Looks like they had you drill small holes through the skin at the top and bottom of the damaged area and then you injected the epoxy into the holes until it ran out the bottom. Then you would wipe of the excess and then apply a type of wax paper and you use a piece of plywood and a wall or sturdy fence to wedge it up against the repair area and hold it until the epoxy dries. 

rcrab

I too bought a motorhome with a delam problem.  I bought a 90 Itasca sunflyer 27RT.  The fiberglass came out of the molding trim over the Gen set. It was an area about the length of the gen set and about 8 inches high.  I talked to several people about the repair and thought what the hell did I get into???  I then went to the local RV Dealer and talked to a tech.  He told me of a easy fix.  He said they get these in all the time.  What they do is clean out the loose debris out from under the fiberglass.  I used a blow gun to do this. After cleaning the area he said to use Great Stuff Spray insulation foam to glue it back down.  DO NOT USE the water soluble type but the water, heat resistant type.  Mask off the area around the delam.  Spray in the foam.  Work it out to the edges by squeezing to the outside by hand.  Cover the area with a heavy none bendable plywood.  Then I used some "China Store"  Harbor Freight load locks to force the ply into the side of the motorhome.  Don't overfill the effected area with foam.  It can cause bulging on the inside .  We have beat this MH down some of the worst Montana gravel and it is still holding.   Biggest problem was finding the replacement plastic holding trim.  Man was that stuff pricey.  I don't have pictures of the process but it looks like the factory not a repair.  Only problem was the glass was busted about 1/4 inch up above the molding for an 1 1/2 inch in length.  If it was not for this it would look new again.