First weekend in the 89 Chieftain

Started by JerryP, October 12, 2015, 08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryP

Had a great weekend with a few setbacks, at the start. This was our first trip, so we got a chance to take notes on stuff we need in the future, and stuff needed to do to the RV.

Went to Lincoln State park in Southern Indiana for the  weekend, as some client/friends suggested going there in October for the Saturday evening Trick or Treat.
I knew the house batteries were old, and needed replacement soon, but the day before leaving, I checked the oil, tire pressure, battery water level, and other stuff.
Ended up putting about a lot of water in the batteries, which pretty much killed them dead.
No big deal, planned to pick up a couple on the way out, however, as I was getting ready, to load up, I pulled the RV around to load, left the battery on the dual position, and drained the chassis battery, and had to jump it, and I also borrowed the battery from my PU truck, just in case.
Picked up the two new deep cycle batteries at Walmart for 76 bucks each. Replaced them sunday morning at camp.
Rv ran great, except for some weird slipping, or shifting issue as I topped a hill at about 55-60.
Ended up manually shifting into 2nd, and quickly then back again, and whatever was wrong, corrected itself.
Still trying to figure that out,
Had a great time at the camp with the 6 dogs 4 Danes, a boxer, and a terrier, 5 are mine, and 1 was a clients dog, who I am boarding for a few days, I trained the dog, so I had no worries about that dog. They were a big hit at the campground..
Basically had a great time.
Left Sunday about 5 for the 100 mile trip him.
The slipping issue in the transmission happened again on the way home, played with the gear shift, and it straightened out.
not sure if it even helped or not, I just did not know what else to do.
Each time this has happened it was topping a hill, around 55-60, and I had just let off the gas, when the engine speed increased, and the vehicle speed did not???

Other than the transmission issue, it was a great weekend.
I really need to figure the transmission thing out it out
Should have been doing this years ago.
I have not had such a relaxing time in a while

Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

M & J

M & J

joanfenn

I am sure that you could get a few more in there.  Glad that you had a good time.  First of many I am sure. :)ThmbUp :)clap

HandyDan

Are you sure it was slipping?  When my fan kicks in it makes quite a roar, which it would if you were pulling up a hill.  Mine only stays on a short time and goes off.  Just a thought.  My first time out I was nervous as heck and when the fan kicked in, I thought I had broken something.  Now I know that when it comes on, everything is going well.

Oops, this should have been posted in the transmission thread.  Sorry Oz.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

xerofall

Holy moly... that's a lot of dogs, haha.

Rickf1985

tiinytina

ha ha ha.. someone with more pups than me!!! LOL.... and yes on heavy duty fan clutch.. which will roar once engine heat builds as in pulling a hill etc...  Mine also roars on most start ups as sit and idle with no air flow...  Will only kick on for a 10-30 seconds usually. 

Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

JerryP

Thanks Guys, I think you are right about the fan, I had never heard it kick on before, and the engine cover was a little loose anyway.
10-30 seconds is about the time. That fan is huge, with a lot of pitch.

BTW, I go though 40 pounds of dog food a week, minimum.
Worth it though, they are all highly trained, and a joy to be around.

Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress