Bird nesting season

Started by Mr. T, March 05, 2014, 12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. T

I left my battery box door open a couple of days ago.  Went to close it this morning. I found a Junco had built her nest and is now sitting.  I don't have the heart to evict her.  This will delay for about three weeks some work I had scheduled.

I will remember to close all the hatches from this time on.

Don T.

TripleJ

I use to have that problem weekly with my slide in camper. the latch for the fridge access broke, so I would bungee it 'mostly' shut... some lousy bird would always find its way in.

I would evict the junco. they're not rare birds, and it's early enough in the season - at least around here - they will easilyg be able to start over
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

TripleJ

of course I just re read ad you said it was sitting already.... I would have a hard time with that too  :(
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

HandyDan

Here are a couple of pictures of what birds can do in a relatively short time.  A couple of years ago I was doing my Spring walk-around (I sure hope Spring will hurry up and get here) and I looked in the fridge access panel.  At first glance there was nothing amiss.  However, I saw a twig hanging down near the chimney.  I pulled on it and this is what happened.  All that vegetation was just sitting up there ready to go up in flames.  I spent a good part of an hour cleaning all this stuff out.  I would never have known it was there if I hadn't pulled on that twig.  The birds were getting in through the vent on top.  I have since installed screens in the vent.

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Stripe

Wow..  ???

Glad you posted that.  Now I'm going to make sure I have a screen.  Good think I found a 7" wide roll of expanding metal screening on CL a while back. Thought it'd come in handy someday...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junco  Interesting species.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Lefty

We had a Robin build a nest under the edge of our front porch roof. It only took one day for her to build the nest, the second day she was sitting on three eggs. Was fun to watch her, and she didn't seem to have much fear of us... she tolerated us coming & going without it disturbing her. After the first three got big enough to fly off, I went out and tore the nest out, thinking that'd get her gone.. but she built a second nest the following day in the exact same spot and raised two more...lol
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...