How do you turn the high beams on?

Started by Oz, September 24, 2014, 10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksandbothe

No one seems to be able to know how to turn the high beams on?  We could have a coach that was messed with once upon a time in that we can't locate it, but where and how is it supposed to work?

Rickf1985

the high beams are on the turn signal switch. Pull it towards you and they should come on. pull it again and they go off. That is how they "Should" work.

circleD

Like rick said or if there's a button on the floor next to the drivers side kick panel. That's what I have. If no button on the floor then its a simple pull back on turn signal switch.

starrebel

small white switch about halfway down the arm twords the front of your rig. If that is what you have dont pull it too hard or you will break the arm off and have to epoxy it back on
Mike

pvoth1111

On my 89 chassis the high beams are activated by the turn signal switch but its a lever on the bottom side of the actual lever.....mines broken and missing and a replacement is being very difficult to obtain....very difficult being an understatement.
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

starrebel

I agree pvoth. I tried looking for one and couldn't find anything. I epoxied it back on and seems to be holding but the controls for cruise and wipers do not work very good. Have to mess with it to get the wipers on and off. Mine looks like it had at one time had a lever there to help push the button but it is gone. Switch is still there and works fine but is small and hard to find sometimes. Could be because it is a Canadian thing on an Itasca. 
Mike

pvoth1111

If you find a replacement let me know or just buy two and let me know.....I don't know how chevy parts can be so unattainable.

sasktrini

You could bypass the factory wiring and install a foot switch
Corey aka sasktrini

pvoth1111

bypass is temporary.....correct replacement is at all times what I go for......if I cant find a correct replacement I will change out the entire steering column for one of which I can get parts for...again its a Chevy and I can find a part.....crazy   

Rickf1985

the multifunction switch attaches to the turn signal assembly in the column. I am wondering if you could use a later or earlier turn signal switch assy. and then get the multifunction switch for that year of vehicle. You may have to swap plugs but that is not hard. The wiring should be the same or close enough to modify easily. The high beam switch itself is usually mounted down at the bottom of the column and is actuated by a rod that is pushed when pulling back on the switch. The switch itself is not up top. Same with most ignitions, the lock is up top but the switch itself is at the bottom.

sasktrini

Can you take a pic?  I used to have an 89 Chevy Astro, and remember that the turn signal switch was a multi-function switch with a ton of tiny wires.  My thought?  Maybe can salvage a compatible switch from a more common vehicle.  Pretty sure, like Rick said, high beams were activated by a lever and rod to a switch mounted externally lower down the column.
Corey aka sasktrini

pvoth1111

"high beams were activated by a lever and rod to a switch mounted externally lower down the column"

Not on mine. Its not an Astro.

sasktrini

I know it's not an Astro.  I thought I could help you identify a compatible Chevy donor.  If you aren't interested, that's fine.  Trying to help, no need to be rude.  Good luck.,
Corey aka sasktrini

Rickf1985

To be honest I do not know if mine is rod activated or not, never looked. I will now since PVOTH and I have the same basic unit I would like to be prepared if mine does go out. If it is not a rod then it is a relay, either way the wiring should be able to be adapted to a similar unit as long as it fits the column. This is a busy time for me so I don't have time for a lot of research on it but I will look into it when I can.

pvoth1111

I have no rod.....wait that didn't sound right :D

I have tried everything from Corvettes to GMC's trucks from Buicks to Cadillac's and nothing seems to be directly compatible

Here is the link to my write up

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,9983.0.html

sasktrini

Very similar to the 89 Astro I had… pull the turn signal lever towards the steering wheel until it clicks, which toggles low and high beam circuits.  Lever is not attached to the switch itself, rather at the base of the steering column.  You probably had a prototype lever, which is why it's hard to find.  But if I'm correct, there is nothing wrong with your lever, just the linkage rod that pushes down on the switch, or the switch itself.  If you hear the click when you pull the lever, then the linkage is good and the problem may be in the wiring.
Corey aka sasktrini

Rickf1985

Have you looked around for the style that is on mine? I know they used that style on full sized cars like the Caprice and some of the pick-ups. Don't know exact years but it would be in the eighties. You may have to wander through a junk yard and look into the cars until you see it. I can e-mail you the picture if you want.

Rickf1985

He has no rod. :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao He said it, not me. W%

ksandbothe

I think I found it.  Thanks.  The battery was dead on the RV, so I can't test it.  This looks like what a few of you have described, though.  Now, let''s hope it work.  ???

pvoth1111

Yep looks just like mine missing lever and all.....

ksandbothe

So, you are saying there is a missing lever? Any idea what it is "supposed" to look like?  Has anyone found a replacement?

DaveVA78Chieftain

Dave's tidbits

The 1989 Winnebago Operators Manual (http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/pdfs/Operator1989/89Winnebago-Itasca.pdf) says you squeeze the end of the turn signal switch for high/low beam headlight operation
PDF page 43, page 8-1 (with a picture of the oddball switch many are looking for.

Appears there is a lot of information on how to operate these unique switches in both 89 and 90 operators manuals.

Dave
[move][/move]

pvoth1111

yep that's it I have the original hard copy and now a PDF version life gets better all the time.....now if I  could just find a complete working unit or several broken ones with different issues :)clap

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]