Window frame leaking during heavy rain

Started by JimVol, January 17, 2012, 12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimVol

Just like the title says.  During heavy rain the front window on my travel trailer leaks.  The water comes through the frame. How do I fix this? Do indeed to remove the window and replace the butyl putty? 

Thanks everyone!

Jim
It's kind of fun to do the impossible -  Walt Disney

ClydesdaleKevin

If its leaking where the frame meets the aluminum wall skin, then you can either replace the butyl tape, or use a bead of silicone around the whole thing, or both.  (In the past I have recommended A-Lex instead of silicone...I retract that...in practical field testing, silicone works much better, and A-Lex starts cracking within a year of heavy road use.)

If its leaking where the glass and the aluminum meet, you can use clear silicone if it is a non-opening window, or on the non-opening side of the window.  If its leaking from the opening window, then your track drains are probably blocked up.  They will look like slots or holes on the bottom of the window frame.  They are there so that rain water will drain out before it has a chance to fill up the bottom of the window frame and leak inside.

Hope that helps.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.