No Heat from Dash Heater

Started by LJ-TJ, May 10, 2012, 03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz

After they do whatever they do, be sure to post on this topic what the fix was.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

LJ-TJ

LJ-TJ

Hey Boys! Were done. Head gaskets. I'm finished for a while. Two bagos in two yeas. We'll see what the future holds. :'(

ClydesdaleKevin

If your mechanics are reliable and you really trust them, and it really IS head gaskets that are the problem, then don't give up on the whole engine just for that.  Iron engine block, iron heads...more than likely don't need to be milled, although if they are out, its a good time to get a valve job.  Gaskets are cheap, the job isn't that hard (even I can do it...lol), and it can be done with the engine in place.

Just my opinion, but there are a lot worse things it could have been!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

tiinytina

if it really is head gaskets there should be antifreeze in the oil if you drain it (blew gasket on my old Datsun 310GX and there is was)...   also antifreeze may be in the plug holes... don't know if you changed the oil and found any etc...

Tina
PS. Do we need to tow it to wonder Brad?  :D

Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

ibdilbert01

I agree with Tina, check the oil and see if its milky, if so, then I'd agree with the mechanic more quickly.   White smoke out the exhaust is a good sign too.   And look for excessive radiator bubbling.  Did the mechanic explain why he feels its a blown headgasket? 
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

DaveVA78Chieftain

From the beginning the "steam" not water part had me a lttle concerned which is why I was pointing at water flow through system.  So, head gasket is not a complete suprise.  However, a head gasket can fail in many different ways.  Was compression down in adjacent cylinders?  Did they perform a cooling system leak down test to determine failure point?  Interested in the clues they used to determine what the problem was.

Dave
[move][/move]